Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Summer - doing homework
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Summer - doing homework Next Topic  

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  09:54:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to keep my son's memory of his lessons going through summer. Any suggestions on how to incorporate math into fun activities? I'd rather steer clear of boring worksheets if I can.
Thanks!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  10:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi there Kimberly Ann~

I homeschool my children and while we "school" year 'round we are way more relaxed during the summer months. I am not sure what age your son is but my son, 12 yrs. old now, has always enjoyed building new things. He recently decided that he may like to be a chef. So we also do a ton of cooking. While doing these things are fun for him I still like to give him a bit of a challenge so I will have him either enlarge or shrink the size of what he builds as well as increase and decrease the batches of food he makes.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  10:07:52 AM  Show Profile
Good suggestion, Christina. I should have mentioned that my son is 7 years old.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  10:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Kimberly Ann, I too have been trying to keep my kids lessons going over summer break. We have a "school time" during our daily routine for the summer. They can do worksheets, do a computer game, or we can play a learning game. Playing store is a good way to get a math lesson in. My daughter is 8 and she is learning to count money. Playing store helps her add, subtract and count out how much money she needs. You can also use math with them while your in the grocery store, in the garden, or cooking dinner. She is learning time as well so we do lessons with the clock, "you have 20 minutes till lunch, what time will the clock say then?" Things like that! Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  1:47:39 PM  Show Profile
My son was in Early Childhood Development classes for the last two years. He will be starting kindergarten in August. I always have him do work on weekends and holidays. We bought cutting, writing, math, and reading books for his age at the bookstore. They also sell books to prepare your child for the next grade up. To make it fun for my little guy, I also have cutting, pasting, and easy craft books too. I have him paint, color with crayons or markers in the middle of doing his worksheets to make it fun. We only work one hour a day. Then he gets to play whatever he wants when we are done. Oh yes, we also read one of his books together. Then we write the words on an eraser board & he tells me what they are. You can make "school time" fun with rewards or incentives that your son really likes. Have a great summer!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  1:48:19 PM  Show Profile
My kids have always done workbooks during the summer and we have at least an hour of quiet reading time in the afternoon every day...all in the same room with our books. It helps alot!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  9:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
For all of us teachers out there Thanks!

It depends on the age and level that your son was performing at when school let out...if I knew what grade he was in I could give you some awesome websites to get materials. However, you know your son's learning style and what he is entertained by...use your imagination and you will surely come up with something!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Summer - doing homework Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page