msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  6:26:48 PM  Show Profile
Okay I have a fig tree I have never made anything with them. I know jam but anyone have a good easy reciepe to make fig jam? Or anything elese I can do with them? They are the black figs . Thanks all

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  7:44:41 PM  Show Profile
I had a friend who made fig jelly. It was really good. But I am sorry to say I have misplaced the recipe. I am sure you could find one on the internet.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  1:21:00 PM  Show Profile
I love figs! We used to have fig trees in Las Vegas but I don't think they grow here. My favorite thing besides just eating them is to make a salad with sliced fresh mozzarella, strips of prosciutto, green leaf lettuce, slices of figs, and Italian dressing. With french bread I would call that dinner. Of course we also don't have Trader Joe's anymore so it is harder to get good ingredients at a reasonable price.
Sue in Richland WA
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  2:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sue, we so do need a Trader Joe's here dont we???
can we grow figs in Washington State? or are we to cold?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  5:36:05 PM  Show Profile
Google Fig and Jello jam. I have made it. Very easy. I ran my figs through the food mill, then you cook them and add a package of strawberry jello, cook it up and pop in jelly jars. Very good and very easy...You may need some sugar, but the recipe will say. I sure miss having friends with fig trees!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  5:57:12 PM  Show Profile
I think we are too cold for figs in this area, even though it is the "banana belt." Not at all cold today, though...Our fig trees in Las Vegas would get parts that would die whenever it got below freezing, so I'm not too hopeful. Judith, do figs grow in Spokane? On the Trader Joe's website, there is a part where you can suggest locations, and I've suggested the tri-cities a couple of times. Maybe someday!
Sue in Richland, WA
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  7:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Took years to get a Trader Joe's in Reno...keep hoping and it might happen some day. That and In N Out Burger were the most requested stores the people wanted..than Neiman Marcus. Now we have TJ's in Reno and Carson City and In N Outs in Reno, Sparks and Carson City.
How about Fig Newton type cookies? Basically a shortbread cookie with the filling as would be for jam. I do have a recipe somewhere, think in the "Better than Store Bought" cookbook from the 80's.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  9:59:59 PM  Show Profile
I have made fig jam...I will go quick look for the recipe..it was good. I had a friendly farmer friend who always brought me some when I met him to buy peaches when I lived in Calif....no fig trees here and I miss them!! My grandma had a tree in her backyard when I was little..with all the grandkids and cousins around I doubt she ever got a ripe fig for herself..we all loved them.
I will post that recipe in a few minutes..I think it is in my little recipe basket.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  10:16:16 PM  Show Profile
Fig preserves are soooooo goood!!!!!

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Personal Musings
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Fabric Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~My Website
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  10:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Okay..here is the recipe I like. It dosn't use pectin and thickens up really nicely.

Fig Jam
2 qt. (about 5 lb.) fresh chopped figs
3/4 c. water
6 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
To get the figs ready for chopping pour boiling water over and let stand 10 minutes. Drain, stem and chop the figs. Measure and add the 3/4 cup of water and all the sugar to the figs in a large pot. Stirring constantly, slowly bring to boiling until sugar dissolves. Keep cooking and stirring until thickened. Keep stirring so it dosn't stick. Add the lemon juice and cook one more minute. Pour boiling hot into hot sterilized jars (I use 1/2 pints)leaving 1/4" headspace and wipe rims. Adjust lids and screw bands. Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes.
Makes 5 pints..or 10 - 1/2 pint jars.
I hope you like this one. It is really good for making filled cookies. I was sorry when we used up the last of ours..it was a favorite.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  5:51:06 PM  Show Profile
I make fig jam every year and we love it! Hot homemade butter biscuits with fig jam and cup of coffee........yum!
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  6:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
What can you do with them? Give them all to ME!! That's what you can do!! LOL... :D Just kidding!!!!
Go to Top of Page

AlpacaRenee
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Renee
Wilton Ca
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  11:05:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
Dry the figs! They can be dried in a dehydrator or in the oven (200 degrees for several hours on a cookie sheet with waxed paper). They are really chewey and sweet!
Enjoy!

Finney's Fiber Farm Alpacas...where being dense is a GOOD thing!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  06:39:18 AM  Show Profile
I just picked up the latest issue of Victoria magazine, and I'm almost certain I saw a recipe for fig pie in there. If you are interested, I'll check when I get home.
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  08:00:56 AM  Show Profile
I got a box of cooking magazines at a rummage for free. The top copy-May/June 2006 of Home Cooking. They got these from the CA Fig council.

Fresh Fig Salsa
2c figs, diced
2 tomatoes, peel, seed & chop
1c mango, peel & dice
2 green onion chop
2 clove garlic, mince
2 jalapeno,seed & mince
2tbsp fresh mint finely chop
2tbsp lime juice
1tbsp balsamic vinegar
2tsp lime zest
salt & peper, to taste

There is also a fig tartlet recipe for dried figs and one where you chop the and add to ice cream with caramel syrup.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  09:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my, the salsa sounds great!
Susan, I doubt figs would grow in Spokane...we just get too cold in the winter...I may check around though, cause I do love figs and miss them so (having lived in San Diego and having friends with trees...)
As for Trader Joe's, I am resigned to "whenever" - we have been teased so often and then nothing. I think between Spokane and Coeur d'Alene, they would do plenty of business - they could locate in Liberty Lake or Post Falls - I'd sure make a run once a month!!! Sigh...

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  5:16:11 PM  Show Profile
I just made these fig bars, and they are wonderful... better than store bought, in my opinion.... here's the recipe:

FIG BARS
FILLING:
2 (6 oz.) pkgs. dried figs (ground)
1/2 c. honey
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. orange juice

Cook together on low heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.

COOKIE DOUGH:

1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. shortening
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 tbsp. lemon juice
3 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Cream together honey, shortening, butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Stir in grated lemon peel and lemon juice. Sift together remaining ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Chill. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured board; cut into 6x3 inch strips.

Put filling in center of strips crosswise; lap sides over, pressing edges together. Place on ungreased cookie sheet with seam on bottom. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes; cool. Cut crosswise into bars.

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

dandsfarms
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Sandy
Boerne Texas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  9:12:24 PM  Show Profile
My favorite thing to do with figs is to cut them lengthwise about 2/3 of the way down and stuff them with a small piece of gorgonzola, goat or feta cheese, wrap them with a small piece of bacon secured with a toothpick and throw them on the grill until the bacon is done, this can also be done in an oven. It is kinda of like a fig popper instead of a jalapeno popper....yum
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  4:10:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh thanks girls!!! So excited to try some of these out. Just waiting for them to get ripe:) and getem before the squirrles and blue jays do!!

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic What can I do with Figs?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page