Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Did you know you dress the way you decorate?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Did you know you dress the way you decorate? Next Topic
Page: of 2

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  06:45:43 AM  Show Profile
As an interior designer, when I meet a client for the first time, I always look at how they present themselves to the world. I can always guess what their present interior looks like, and am very rarely wrong. People decorate their enviroment as an extension of how they decorate themselves. This is a helpful clue to how they want their home to look. If comfort is the main priority and design is the least, then I know they want a space that is more functional and comfortable than one that is design oriented and fussy. If they are a stickler for detail, then I know that it will be important that everything matches and works together. Do you dress "country", wear mainly jeans, soft comfortable shirts and tops, and very little jewelry or makeup? Does your home feel the same way? Or, do you change your jewelry to match the seasons, like wearing pumpkin earrings, or Christmas jewelry? Do you do that in your home as well?
Are you a neat freak, and wouldn't dream of leaving the house unless you look fresh, pressed and pulled together? The type of fabrics, colors, and textures that we chose to wear are usually the same for what we like in our homes. I know I have been successful with a client when I see how that person "fits" in their new space. They usually look right and almost become part of the space. I find this study of people to be so interesting. Please tell me if you do too.

guerin
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Jennifer
Shandon Ohio
88 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  07:29:07 AM  Show Profile
that is interesting and it makes sense to me.. I guess I do dress thrift shop... and I decorate that way too ROFL!!!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  08:00:54 AM  Show Profile
Makes sense to me too..I dress for comfort and hardly wear jewelry..and I decorate country and comfortable. I would feel so out of place in a modern glass and metal type room with white carpet and shiny things.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  08:08:01 AM  Show Profile
That's how I am too. I wear comfy clothes all the time, the only jewelry I wear is my watch and my wedding ring. Our house is very rustic with western and santa fe designs. DH just decided though that he wants to do our bedroom like a log cabin decor. Have the log furniture and such. Very comfy and relaxing if you ask me.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  08:46:19 AM  Show Profile
Kristi - I love your house just from your short description! Love rustic and log cabin....

My house is not all matched, and I guess my clothes aren't either! I never wear an "outfit" - you know, that I actually bought to go together all the time. If I can't mix and match the clothes I buy, then I don't get them. My house is kind of like that, too. I like to get tables that will fit in many places, so I can change them around and feel I have something new to look at.....
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1798 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1798 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  08:53:21 AM  Show Profile
most of what I wear comes from consignment or good will or garage sales or clearance racks. I like comfortable and casual. I have beige in the living room with comfortable couch and easy chair. I love rocking chairs and would have them everywhere if my husband would let me.
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  09:22:23 AM  Show Profile
It makes total sence to me. Comfort is #1. Comfortable, casual. No jewelry. Slightly messy, I never "fix" my hair, good thing it's curly. Problem is, my hubby is an architect and prone to be more detail oriented and hates "messy" though he's gotten used to it over the years. He's a careful dresser, more inclined to make sure things match. He doesn't like knick-knacky stuff AT ALL or any kind of frou frou. He would be happy in a "neat as a pin" environment. He even likes the covers on the bed to be smooth and not wrinkled WHILE HE'S IN IT! HA! What was he THINKING . . . he married a farm girl! Poor guy. He wishes our decor was more "grown up", lucky for me we really can't afford "grown up" furniture. We need two houses. A comfy farmhouse for me and a glass/steel/concrete house on the ocean for him.
Nancy

Edited by - quiltedess on Oct 10 2005 09:24:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  09:54:41 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, with a client like you who is so diverse from her spouse in how she sees her living space, I would suggest putting some pieces mixed in to make your architect husband happy. I love eclectic everything. One of my favorite things to do (which is in my bedroom) is to take an antique (my nightstand) and put a high tech lamp on it. Containers are another tool. Instead of all baskets let's say, mix in some stainless steel boxes (Target is a great source for this). It neatens the space because you can't see the contents, and adds a sophistication with clean, metallic lines. Architects (and graphic designers) love clean lines and simplicity (as you well know). It also says how they percieve life (see other topic I posted in this forum). You like a full, warm, cluttered life with a lot going on at the same time, and you want your home to reflect that, but also to be able to "kick back" and not care if everything is perfectly in its place. Your husband is more systematic, orderly, and sees more things in more of a "black and white" way. This sounds like it is a nightmare, but really you both need what the other gives for balance. Your space should be the same way. Believe it or not, it is quite simple to incorporate both mentalities in the same space by changing a few things and clearing out a few corners where your husband can look around the room and find a part of himself there that grounds him. The materials that you choose are your best tool (along with some emptier places to let him "breathe"). You are more of a candidate for natural, earthy surfaces like wood, soft cotton, baskets, etc. He is metal, stone, and glass. Mix it up and you will have the best of both worlds.
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile
Diane, what you've said is very true. I think my hubby and I each appreaciate the other's view of things, that's why we get along so well. And we've been married for 26 years. We just keep pushing a little back and forth. Funny about baskets, I'm always bringing them home and he's always complaining about them . . . now I know why. I really like the stainless box idea. I can see where my "messyness" can drive him crazy. He is also a nut about containers . . . I think the container store is his favorite place to shop . . . everything has a place and everything IN its place. I just took a look at my family room and realized that it's probably a nightmare for him. Too much stuff. It's where we live and it shows. It catches the overflow from the laundry room and everything else. I think I'll go to work in there today. Thanks for the tips.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  5:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Diane, that is so fun & interesting. You can look at a person & pretty much know how they want to decorate. My home, although very small, is quite comfortable, very cottage. I had a great cottage garden this past summer with old fashioned flowers & lots of herbs. I do live in a mobile home though, not exactly the small older brick english style I love so much. I also love older farmhouses that have cottage style. I only use valences on my windows, love the bright lights & have white lights in windows at night. Favorite colors are light colors also, pinks, greens, blues, white and a very light butter yellow. I love fabrics of all kinds. I do change my surroundings with the seasons. I also am very fickle and love it when it's time to change. You do interesting work. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  6:29:03 PM  Show Profile
Michele, thanks for your nice words. I would guess you are a light and airy person. Just for my own guessing game, are you into angels by chance? Please let me know.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  7:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Diane, no not particularly into angels, I like them but dont collect them or anything BUT I do love butterflies and ladybugs! Michele

Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  7:20:35 PM  Show Profile
How about fairies? I am asking this because you seem lighter than air to me, and I imagine you kind of floating in the ethers alot of the time. I don't mean this in an "airhead" kind of way, but rather you seem to have a soul that wants to float above the clouds. That's why I asked about angels.

PS- Are you an air sign by any chance?

Edited by - dg7954 on Oct 10 2005 7:21:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  07:21:48 AM  Show Profile
him Diane, nope, not into fairies either. Im a Capricorn, land sign. Love mountains. I just love light colors, they make me happy. Im very much a land sign, born the day after Christmas, 1951. I am a "very old soul" so I've been told. I love old fashioned things but light colors make me feel happy. Michele

Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  4:33:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Of course you're not into fairies, you're a Capricorn. Earth signs don't dabble very often in the light, airy side of life. I am surrounded by earth signs in my life, so I am familiar. It's great though, that you are the first earth sign not to grimmace at pastels. That is cool. It's nice, to meet a contradiction.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  5:40:54 PM  Show Profile
What is JEWELERY???

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  5:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Diane -

After reading all of the posts I am trying to figure out if I really do dress the way I decorate. I love jeans and comfortable slacks, hair is naturally stick straight so I either pull part of it back and let it lay down my back or make sure it is cut to collar length with bangs (boring but it works). No more makeup, too early for me at 5 am to put makeup on, just go with the fresh wash face look. Jewelry is eclectic - local artists, sterling silver, semi precious stones kinda stuff. Usually a kitty pin or dragon fly (my favorites). House is an old 1912 farmhouse style, narrow siding, front porch, not very wide but pretty deep, two story. Slowly doing the remodel. We've put in hardwood downstairs (grade 2 red oak, shows knots and discoloring in the wood). Light fixtures are reproduction early 1900 electric(pressed milk glass, etc) Color in living room is called "dried seaweed", kinda a dark with yellow undertones, moss green with pale straw as the trim (very pale yellow). Same yellow is used on the walls in the adjoining front entry hall/stairwell, with a ice cream white trim. The stairs going up are painted too, risers the white, the actual step the moss green. The railing spindles are the white same with the newel post, except the top rail is the green and the topper on the post is green (make sense). You getting the picture, I coordinate the rooms, having the colors flow in some way. Furniture is a mix of reupholstred 30's/40's style, with some "trash to treasure" finds and items my dad builds. I'm sure this all sounds pretty thrown together, but it works.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  05:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Anne, I think your home sounds great. It sounds like you do dress the way you decorate. You are very much involved with the lines of things. Your feeling about how you have used a continuous line of woodwork to finish off a room and continue the line through your other rooms sounds like your hair to me!!!! It is a clean lines that work against another surface. Your colors are natural (like you), and there sounds like there is a simplicity along with the feeling of a fresh, clean, scrubbed look. You don't like frilly with alot of detais, things must be clean, but warm and bright as well. Fresh is the word I would use.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  06:16:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Diane, I'm not the first cap. to like pastels, the first for you I guess. My older sister also a cap. is worse then me. I dont really think, at least for me, it has much to do with what sign I am I always just loved pastels, the colors make me happy, the're warm and inviting. I want my home to convey that. Michele

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  06:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Diane -

Sounds like you're right, I do like the clean, scrubbed look. If only my husband could get on board with the clean part :) I didn't mention the one bedroom we finished, it's painted Laura's Ashley pale green apple with pale cowslip as trim (another shade of pale yellow). The walls have also been treated to bit of painting technique of splatter. Solid green with tiny splatters of the yellow and a Laura Ashley gold (more like dark mustard). You can't really see the splatter at first glance until you start to look close at the walls. I also painted a dragonfly on the slant part of the ceiling above the bed and a grasshopper over by one of our windows. The floor is refinished original fir plank. Then accent colors are pale lavendar, some bits of pink and wedgewood blue. Again this room flows pretty good off of the yellow out in the upstairs hall. I am trying to still keep with furniture that goes with the age of the house, from the early 1900's to up into the 40's, like someone has lived there all this time and has slowly accumlated things over the years.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  08:35:39 AM  Show Profile
Anne, your home sounds lovely. You have a great sense of color and an imagination to go with it. I love the vintage theme as well.
Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  12:39:11 AM  Show Profile
What a fascinating topic! Thanks Diane for sharing your wonderful decorative insights with us! I think you are so right that many people do dress the way they decorate, atleast it fits me to a "T"!

I've always been drawn to the simple things in life and country decorating makes my heart smile! Just like my home, simple and casual is the way I enjoy dressing and years ago finally gave up the fight to keep up with fashion trends. It's jeans and tee shirts for this gal, sneakers, very little make-up, if any and a simple hair style that pretty much does whatever it wants regardless of what I think looks best! LOL I hate to dress up for special occasions (weddings, parties, etc.) and feel so "out of sorts" when I have to dig out the good dress clothes. Owning one fancy dress (which truth be known- hardly fits these days, )is more than enough for this simple country heart!

Great topic Diane, thanks for sharing!

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  9:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Thats hilarious. I always start out looking very well put together, but it always seems like 10 minutes out the door I am a rumpled mess with flyaways in my hair, a smudge on my glasses, and an errent hair stuck in my lipstick... same goes for my house, I'll get it all how I want it but I can only keep it that way for about 10 minutes before the hidden clutter springs out of it's hiding places :)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  06:47:49 AM  Show Profile
In the past I have always worn and decorated in strong jewel colors. I love jewelry of all kinds and wear lots of it. I moved to New Mexico and loved the desert colors...and you guessed it. I have more muted colors and accents rather than my strong jewels colors.

I am more natural looking (i don't know if that's a good thing) My mother always told me "I was a woman that took dress." and she is correct. I worked for years and retired last Feb, so now I am not as professional looking. I still love my jewelry...I have wonderful peices from everywhere I have lived and just cheap stuff. I don't care about the cost, just what suits my taste.

My home reflects this. My lifestyle, attitude. values and what I spend my time on has changed. Remember I am 60 and at that age one has the right to do whatever feels right !!!!! As I write this I realize that I also have strong colors in my life- so maybe I am a mixed -up older farm girl....yea, that describes me !!!!!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  07:04:44 AM  Show Profile
Jewelry is the shiny stuff we have and keep in boxes, or tossed on the dresser top. you might put it on once in a while and then, just before you leave the house, toss it back ontop the dresser. Sound familiar???
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  08:07:42 AM  Show Profile
I be peckin here perched in my turquoise and green tankini and high top laced up brown doc martins all I can do is hoot. I AM shacky tacky!!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Did you know you dress the way you decorate? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page