Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Heirloom Embroidery Display Ideas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Heirloom Embroidery Display Ideas? Next Topic  

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  1:24:25 PM  Show Profile
I was recently given some various small items that were hand-embroidered by my husband's aunt years and years ago. The embroidery and handmade lace edgings are BEAUTIFUL, but due to the age they're a bit fragile. I hate to just pack these away and I'd like to display them, but we have cats and I'd hate for anything to happen to these items. For those of you that do a lot of embroidery/tatting/etc, how do you display them? Any ideas?

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2285 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2285 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  3:29:50 PM  Show Profile
Small embroideries are very pretty in frames, matted with a darker color fabric (maybe to match the room?). If you have a lot of them you can rotate them in the frames. I'm so glad you want to display them as they are rather than cutting them up to make something else.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  4:05:15 PM  Show Profile
I have put some lace and handmade fragile items in frames. I usually wrap the backboard with cloth, darker than the lacy bits, sometimes it is nice to put a thin layer of quilt batting in between the backboard and the cloth, then the lace is pillowed the tiniest bit rather than just being smashed up against the glass. how nice to have some family heirlooms and you are wise to protect them from the cats....
Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  8:44:00 PM  Show Profile
I have several things from my grandmother, large and small. I have used them to line baskets, in frames with glass on two sides is one lovely way to show lace. Sometimes you can just add a few stitches that can be pulled out later to display things. This is what I did with a pair of embroidered pillowcases that I used as a window treatment. Good luck! Its fun to live with these kinds of heirlooms.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  06:03:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas ladies! Framing them would be perfect... I have a bathroom that they would probably coordinate with. :D

http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com

Edited by - moxieblossom on Jun 25 2008 06:03:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  9:48:09 PM  Show Profile
What I learned by framing my aprons is once behind glass, they are preceived differently, less as a humble icon and more as domestic artistry. I interviewed a professional framer about framing a textile, and learned that above all else, moisture accumulating between the glass and the framed fabric is death to the textile. I noticed you live in Virgina, and with the humidity back there and the steam from hot water in a bathroom, it's a good idea to place a buffer between the fabric and the glass. You can purchase little gizmo spaces or more economically, make a spacer all round with very thin trim purchased at any craft or lumber store. So fabulous you're framing the items rather than leaving them folded away.

xxea
Tie One On...an apron, of course!www.apronmemories.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  9:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Small stitched pieces are so wonderful to use an accents EVERYWHERE! I love them framed and tucked in among collections or just peeking out from a cabinet. You could even display them in a group on a wall or a small table. What a wonderful gift you have received!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9372 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9372 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  03:42:24 AM  Show Profile
They have shadow box frames that are wonderful for displaying things like these. I think Walmart still carries them.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  08:34:40 AM  Show Profile
EllynAnne, thanks for the reminder about the humidity! I'm going to try to find some shadowboxes or suitable frames this weekend!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Farmgirl Sister #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  07:55:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm working on a sampler of my own tatting and the shadowbox idea is a good one. Thanks!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Heirloom Embroidery Display Ideas? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page