Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 YES YES IT WAS A GOOD THRIFT DAY
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic YES YES IT WAS A GOOD THRIFT DAY Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  10:06:04 AM  Show Profile
That darn thrift store. Its almost impossible to have a bad day there. Got some cute things and left many many things there that I would have liked if I lived on a huge estate.
Made some potato salad, and still have some strawberry cupcake's, have to decide what to take out of the freezer to go with it for dinner. last night was softball with grand #2, tomorrow is a Birthday dinner here for grand #3. This sat. is the town parade and carnival, plus a Graduation party. Never a dull day in the summer. What was that old song, "LAZY HASY DAYS OF SUMMER"? Ok where are they?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  10:20:12 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh, Nancy Jo! My family used to have a little child's rocker like the one you've been polishing up. So nice to see it again.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  10:23:17 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful things as always. Thanks for sharing. Gonna have to find me some thrift stores aroud here. If anyone knows of any, please let me know.

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  10:34:15 AM  Show Profile
I have got to get pictures up.. from my garage sale trip this weekend. But I think I am going to be moving my blogspot to myvintagehome.com so I don't want to add anything new just yet..lovely items. I love the scoop.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile
Okay....I've got it figured out.....you live in a ritzy area right? Because the stuff at your thrift store compared to the stuff at my thrift store are world's apart! That is one of my favorite authors! Have you read the Mitford Series? She's wonderful and has an awesome cookbook out too with the recipes from her novels....I think that's why I like her books....they're always eating! LOL!
And the scoop is darling and you are SO right....I have salt shakers everywhere in my house because I eat everywhere in my house...well...okay, maybe not the bathroom but most rooms.
And who knew you could use olive oil...you are SO smart....I would be stupid and go buy some expensive tung oil or something and the chair looks beautiful! I am learning so much from all of you and saving money too!
Did I tell you I got my money from George W. yesterday and on the way across the street from the mailbox I found a $20.00 bill! It was a great day...you don't think that was MY $20.00 do you? That wouldn't be any fun...but I have no idea who it belonged to so I couldn't return it or anything. And your social life is to die for! How fun! And you just had to mention those strawberry cupcakes! I made tapioca pudding for dessert tonight and then sat and ate it all before it even got to the fridge....how BAD is that??? But I hadn't had breakfast and it was warm and I like it better that way so...no dessert for me tonight for the next week after that pigout!
Well....I was out mowing and just about done and the belt came off the bagger so I had to call the Lawnmower Doctor (he makes housecalls) and he said he'd be over in a few so I better go and drive it into the shade so it cools off....it's 90 here today.
Thanks as always Nancy Jo.....you know I love it all!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  11:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Sandra,
You are funny! No I don't live in a ritzy area. I'm not sure why people get rid of so much stuff. Sometimes I think its the older folks leaving the area, ya know one way or another and then the family just carts all their stuff to the thrift stores or has garage sales.Plus I have to brag and say that a lot of people including my friend that goes with me sometimes just doesn't see the stuff. They look around and it appears to be all junk. I always go back and fourth at least three times. I wouldn't have found that oil lamp if I hadn't gone over everything one more time. Then the best part is I usually have a three dollar coupon and so that is a lot at a thrift. Kind of like one or two things free. whoopee.
Good for you finding 20.00 dollars, and the GW check. Not to mention being able to eat all that pudding.
Oh about the olive oil for the furniture. I thought of that this morning. Seems to work but I wouldn't be trying it on a priceless piece of furniture without a little research.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  11:19:33 AM  Show Profile
PS. SANDRA- Yes I have all the Mitford books. They were all good. I have the cookbook too.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  11:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
We need bumper stickers: "A bad day at the thrift store is better than a good day anywhere else!" LOL! And of course, there ARE no bad thrift store days, anyhow.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  11:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy Jo!! Oh, the purse does remind me of these 'other' days. Chuckle! I have a similar rocker that was my oldest when she was a little one. My mother in law gave it to her. (I still have it and she's not getting it). I haven't been thrifting but I have picked up a few things here and there so I should take some pics and post them. Too lazy I guess. Kylee left to go to Eastern Washington to my oldest's and hubsands ranch. So no horse stuff for awhile. Although I know the horses just love me because they like to tear down some part of the fence so I can go out and fix it. They just want me in their pasture.
Dinner sounds good--well, whatever you take out of the freezer will be good so set a place for me. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Jun 24 2008 11:49:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  1:03:43 PM  Show Profile
MB,
I know those horses can be very tricky, they have a lot of time to stand around and think up fun things to do.
You are more then welcome for dinner, I will be looking out the window for you. Don't bring the horses. We just put up a new fence last year.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  3:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo You did it again, fabulous finds, and books that you can actually read. The thrift shop in the town next to me always has a really miserable assortment of romance novels and Reader's Digest Condensed books. They just don't appeal to me, Sometimes there will be some old math textbooks, I'm defiinitely allergic to those. I did not go to any thrift stores today. After unsuccessfully looking for my address book, I had to go to PetQuarters for car food, well I did get Tubby two little toys, which he is totally ignoring. Ah well. We went on a new back road today though, and got to see some beautiful horses. Now that I have your address Nancy Jo, I'll give it to them next time I pass by....
Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  3:16:28 PM  Show Profile
Wow love all the items you found at the thrift store, my thrift stores are like Sandra's full of junk at the price of gold. Every now and the I go to Macon which is about 1 hr away and I can find a few things down there but hardly ever anything like you found. You luck duck!

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  6:38:37 PM  Show Profile
fun finds miz nancy! you need to come shoppe in wednesday's basement and my 'schoolhouse'. lordy! so much stuff! but 'ain't' it fun to collect!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  8:21:16 PM  Show Profile
What lovely things you do find! I was thinking of you this passed weekend. Hubby and I went yardsailing. We found some lovely treasures! Do love to see all your pretties on your blog. thanks for sharing with us!
hugs
jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic YES YES IT WAS A GOOD THRIFT DAY Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page