Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  08:45:16 AM  Show Profile
I went to the most local thrift store the other day...they are closing and had a $1 a bag clearance...I headed straight for the books..naturally!! In my bag of books (which included some pretty good ones!) I got one that is a hard back with no dust cover that just sounded fun and it sure was.
The Land of Milk and Omelettes is by Ken Kraft and was published in 1959. It is a cute, funny and light read about a couple of city people buying a farm and all their adventures and like that. A subject you read about alot, but this one was well done. If you see it out there ..don't hesitate..it was a good read. One I won't get rid of for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  7:21:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to look for that at the library tomorrow, thanks, Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  08:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like a good summertime read, Jenny. I tried to find it on half.com, but no luck. I'll keep trying, though.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  09:51:09 AM  Show Profile
If none of you can find it maybe I can start a round robin sort of thing and send this one around. It is jut a fun read...I am willing if you gals are interested.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  09:51:32 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, another one like that is called "The Egg and I" and I don't know the author. I read it when I was a teenager...pretty cute story. I think they bought an egg ranch in Northern California, but I can't be for sure. I'm sure if you googled it you'd find it on Amazon. Happy REading!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  09:55:44 AM  Show Profile
That IS a good one Judy..I read it many years ago..loved it!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  11:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Count me in on the round robin thing, Jenny, if you decide to do that.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  11:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Me too! Please, if you decide too. Maybe we should all list our favorite "farm/ranch/outdoor" book fiction or non? And we could "round robin" the list one by one? I know I've read a couple that I really liked...one was Bean Blossom Farm I think and there was Blue Highways but that was really a travelogue but it was about small towns arcoss America and real people. And the books about and by the Nearings...the true pioneers of "back to the land" years ago and I know there was another one or 2 but I'll have to try and look...I have hundreds and hundreds of books...my passion or one of them at least. I need to start a data base on my pc! I do have them organized by category but they're not all where they should be or easy to get to yet.
Thanks for sharing Jenny.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  1:01:25 PM  Show Profile
I just ordered it used. Boy my books to read pile is getting rather large. But thats good, because then I know I will have something good to read.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  2:04:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey Janice..email me your address and I will send it right off to you..and then you can send it to SAndra next, okay?

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  5:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I just emailed you, Jenny. Thanks! :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  5:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Got it...I will get the book off to you tomorrow Janice!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  8:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Judith - The Egg and I was great, I have re-read it a couple of times, it is actually set on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. Betty Bard McDonald, who wrote the Mrs. PiggleWiggle books, wrote it and a couple of other ones. By the way I have a brand-new granddaughter named Judith who also lives in Spokane, a very good name. Aunt Jenny, that book sounds great, I would love to be on a mailing list if I can't find it at the library
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  11:58:50 PM  Show Profile
Maybe Sandra can mail it off to you when she is done? So that is three for the list. I mailed it off to Janice today...
I love that the Egg and I introduced Ma and Pa Kettle too...some of my favorite characters!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Land of Milk and Omelettes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page