Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Any outdoor projects going on? Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  10:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Every year when the weather gets nice I have my SUN PLANS and my RAIN PLANS and then I have my winter/indoor projects and my summer/outdoor projects. I am like the turtle...slow but steady anymore but I am remodeling this house I moved into and although it is not rural or a farmhouse...if I play my cards right it may get me one!
I had to sell my farmette when I got RA and Graves Disease but 3 years and 2 eye operations later I can see and the RA is under control so I have actually been making progress here on the house.
First and foremost was a new roof ( I hired that done) since it was leaking last year...now I am high and dry then the furnace went out last winter so it was new furnace and ac too (hired that too). The house is brick so no painting outside right? WRONG....big eaves, trim, doors, stairs. So last summer I repaired and painted one set of stairs in the back and the other set the railings only since it got too cold to paint. I was using oil-based and it took 3 coats..whew and it was hot!
Then I repaired the garage door frame (along with a friend? who I paid $100.00 to help me) and which had termite damage (no more thanx to my termite and bug guy) and then painted it...again 3 coats! Where is all this paint that says 1-coat covers all?
Then I painted the garage door 2 coats....I was tired and it looked fine if you didn't get too close and I painted the front steps rod iron railing which had rusted and had to be sanded and primed first.
So...that brings you up to date. Oh..also...the house got hit by lightening this Spring so the new furnace and ac had to be repaired, new light fixtures outside since the other ones got wrecked too and new t.v.s and pc which I have not gotten reimbursed from my insurance co. yet but enough about me!
So...now I am "back at it". I painted the 3rd and final coat on the front door, and the first coat on the 2 back doors this morning and it got me to thinking what are you gals up to this summer with outdoor projects? Please share as it is hard to keep going when I read posts about trips to the beach/lake, zoo, cookouts, etc. I want to hear that someone else is out there in the heat sweating and working on some dang, fool, project! LOL!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile
You're not the only one repairing! We are having a staycation or a workcation this year. That's the new word for staying home and working or relaxing. I spent 3 months redoing my kennel room (yes, I'm slow) but it turned out exactly the way I wanted it. Nice and clean looking. I've been working on weeding the patio and garden. Plus I canned three batches of strawberry jam this week. I sure gained a lot of friends when everyone found out! Over the 4th of July week we are tearing into our extra bedroom and painting and tearing out carpet. Throwing away junk too. Then we are setting this room up as an exercise room, maybe. We also will be working on cleaning up the firewood pile so that we can bring in new wood for winter. After all of this, I think it will be time for a picnic and fishing ; ) Keep working and you'll get there.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  6:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Well now that I read what you have been doing and planning to do . As Mary Beth and I say--"I NEED TO LAY DOWN NOW'
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  6:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sandra, we sound similar. I always need to prioritize my projects- when the weather turns nice the indoor projects go on hold until winter and all our time, energy and resources turn outside.. we recently filled in a old pool so that we could have more garden and yard space...And built a trellis for some grapes we put in. Now working on an arbor for the climbing roses.... Last year My hubby, youngest son and myself started a tree house and we are working finishing that as well.....This spring we painted the outside of the house and I am making shutters and flower boxes for the front windows... all that and the normal gardening... seems there is always something calling :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  7:35:27 PM  Show Profile
You're not the only one working, Sandra. I'm trying for the 3rd year to paint my front porch. I don't know how it happens, but other stuff always seems to intervene. First year, it was the weather. We got started and then it rained every weekend for the rest of the summer. Last year, our dining room ceiling fell in and fixing that took precedence. I did get the second floor sleeping porch painted (working from the inside). I swear, this year it's going to happen (if only I can get my husband on board).

We got an early start on outdoor projects this year, thanks to the warm spring. We finally, after many years of studying the situation, tore up and regraded the back yard. We hauled 18 loads of free compost in the back of a Geo Metro! Then rented a rototiller and worked it in, then topped it off with a load of topsoil (we got that delivered). The new grass looks great and is growing like crazy. But it remains to be seen whether we've solved the problem we were having with rain water flooding the yard and running into the garage. If we don't have to put out pumps every time it storms anymore, it will all have been worth it.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  9:00:50 PM  Show Profile
seems there is almost always something we can be doing to our homes. we're pretty much finished with the major projects that we wanted to do .. except repaint the inside walls that are not logs. MAJOR JOB because of all the treasures i have hanging on all the walls! we'll hire local friends who do incredible work on historic homes. we also still want to put up a camping 'flatform' at the edge of the woods down by the creek. and ALWAYS there are fun garden things to plant. oh .. we are having all the 'red' outbuildings repainted barn red again .. and also the 'addition' between the two cabins. gonna' try it barn red too to see what i think. lots of fun doing projects! xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  05:38:14 AM  Show Profile
We had to put a window well over one of our basement windows. The water would pour into the bedroom down there whenever we got a heavy rain. We also had to put a lot of dirt down in that area & are now re-routing the water flow with concrete pavers in that area. We also have to put a new gutter up along the back there, the old one is shot. We have a huge dead black cherry tree on top of the back deck & house that needs to be removed. The decks were just power washed, now we need to stain them. As always, weeding, picking up branches & sticks (I have woods on each side of the yard) and general maintenance for all my flower beds and vegetable garden. It is really a never ending story around here. We will never be caught up here!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  4:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks you gals! I feel lots better now! I took down your names (LOL!) so if I get de-motivated I can email y'all for a "farmgirl Peptalk"! Your projects are awesome and I am going to get my camera and start taking pictures so I can share. I love it when people show pics of what they've made or remodeled or anything they've been working on. I'm going north next week to see the family and grandchildren so things will be on hold for a week. I just hope they don't wear me out for the rest of the summer!LOL! Every year it seems there's more of 'em! It will be great to see them though.
Frannie....you have cabins...plural? I just want one cabin in the woods or by a lake or stream with no others around....I bet it's beautful! Good luck with all your projects and thanks for giving me a "shot in the arm"....here I go...all remotivated thanks to you all!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  9:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Does building a Butt and Pass log fort/tower for my son count? My DH took a class on Butt and Pass log cabin. We are trying different small versions before we try the real thing. We've built a birdhouse, dog house and now are working on the fort/tower thing. I'll try to post a few pictures.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  10:27:08 PM  Show Profile
My standard saying this time of year is "it's on the list". I spent all last week lining the barn and an outdoor run with chicken wire to mink-proof it for the ducklings (and I have the wounds to prove it...nasty stuff!). I have 3 50' rows of strawberries divided by strips of 4' wide sod which I decided was a total waste of space so I have been digging out the sod to make another couple rows of strawberries. I did get the garage painted and the decks and lawn furniture powerwashed. Still have the deck of the master bedroom to power wash. Yesterday I sold all of last year's koi we bred, so I would like to get the tanks powerwashed and refilled and breed again before it gets too late in the season. Today I ripped out the last of the now flowering pak choy (happy chickens!) and replanted with more peas, also put beans and chard in other empty spaces. Tomorrow I will continue to dig out the sod and add compost to the soil.
Di
Go to Top of Page

SandyJ
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Sandra
Waitsburg WA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  1:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Due to circumstances beyond my control I have just started this week. Scrapping and getting ready to paint my picket fence. My grandson has been helping and we have about half of it scraped. I'll really love it when it gets done. I've decided to clean the fencerow out and put a little pea gravle or something down so so much weeds won't grow under it. As they say it's a big job but someone has to do it.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  07:08:27 AM  Show Profile
There is so much work to do outside I spent hours staring in utter hrror not knowing where to start. I'd start one thing, move to get a toold, see something else that needed work, start on that, get distracted again... I need to lay down a plan but with only a week to do much of anything, I was happy I accomplished something.

Dug one bed for the new garden. My arms hurt from the rototiller for days. Way too much time sitting in an office the rest of hte year. Discovered strawberries near one of the trees from past owners and have alomonds on the tree! Can't wait for those.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Any outdoor projects going on? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page