brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  11:17:30 AM  Show Profile
by Paul Roberts - it's a scary book - the next tot the last chapter is a description of the likely scenarios if oil prices don't go down and we don't do anything differently that we do now, and the last chapter (which is very short) describes some of the alternatives we might have to avoid catastrophe, which is to rely more on local food alternatives - urban farming....

I kept thinking all the while reading through this book how many themes were forecasted by E.F. Schumacher in 1973 in his book "Small is Beautiful" but Roberts doesn't even credit him at all!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  12:55:01 PM  Show Profile
My hubby and I were talking a couple of nights ago, wondering how much difference it would make if most folks across this country had just a small garden in each yard! A few tomatoes here, peppers there, cucumbers and lettuce. It would not be enough to sustain yourself of course, but if each person did it, it would take a bit of pressure off the farmers who feed this whole country. Everyone could have a small plot, and can things for the winter, and that could turn into a bigger overall effect! Most folks I know do not have any food producing plants in their yards at all.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  1:04:45 PM  Show Profile
how about even just an herb garden and maybe some tomatoes? if people would take advantage of using fresh herbs perhaps that would inspire them to eat more fresh produce, herbs make everything taste soooooo good! and if one is inspired to eat more fresh produce, well maybe one would be inspired to plant some of it!!! *just thinking positive!!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  8:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
On Theresa's thread 100 foot diet, I posted a video where a couple took thier tiny yard and converted it to this garden of eden.. check it out...The video references the old "victory garden's" from the depression.. facinating stuff.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  11:49:39 AM  Show Profile
I know that this is for reading books but I found the book you suggested very interesting when I read it and I thought you may also enjoy watching the documentary called The Future of Food if you haven't already seen it. It goes in depth about how GE foods are taking over most of we eat on this planet. http://www.thefutureoffood.com/

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  11:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Scary!! There is another book that was written in the 60's or 70's about the dangers to our food supply and what science can do to it-- and that was BEFORE GM foods were introduced! I think the book was fictional, but it's actually become a frightening reality. Can anyone remember the name?

All of my veggie seeds are heirlooms--- the older the better! I rarely, if ever, buy hybrid veggie plants or seeds. You just never know what you're REALLY getting! Actually, GM corn is in practically every single commercial food product in our regular grocery stores (and probably even some "Health food" stores). Food manufacturers are not yet required by law to list the words "Genetically Modified" on their products-- but I think there are some bills before the Senate that will make it Mandatory for them to do so. Also, it's the same with Cloned meat. There are arguments going around about labeling on THAT as well. Hopefully we won't have to worry about that for awhile. BUT, If the process of cloning food animals ever becomes more cost effective-- boy are we in SERIOUS trouble!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The End of Food Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page