Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Blackberry Alert! Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  08:46:15 AM  Show Profile
I know some of you have wild blackberries and find them to overtake everything and are constantly trying to keep them in check. Others of you want blackberries. Cisco Morris, Master Gardner, has a warning about a rust disease that affects the future of blackberries that is urgent!
If you have blackberries, or they are in your future plans, have a read:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/243453_ciscoe06.html

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  09:12:32 AM  Show Profile
Well, I guess I don't hate them THAT much. Though, as far as I know the Himalayan Blackberries are not a native plant, and not sure that there are any native blackberries here, it is really too bad that the better behaved blackberries will have to suffer.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  11:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Native Northwesterners: isn't it odd to think that when Lewis and Clark were here, there were NO Himalayan blackberries, no huckleberries, no scotchbroom ? There were humongous trees with ferns underneath, period.When we cleared the forests early in our statehood, we allowed the invasive non natives to flourish.Persoanlly I am gonna have a word with who ever introduced two of those species if I ever meet them in the afterlife!
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  12:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Yes, and a LOT of those trees were cleared for our beloved farms. A lot of farm girls are upset by developers . . . but weren't the farmers developers also? The world is constantly changing and we must constantly adapt. Some farm land I have seen is returning to its wild origins, it makes me sad, but . . .

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  1:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare,
I get $40.00 a gallon for the low ground creeping vine variety from the local restraunts who bake their own pies. This variety of blackberry is not invasive but grows under the other variety. I whack the big Hymalayan ones down to get to the other ones. They have a smaller sweeter berry with very tiny seeds so they are preferred for pies. It is a local specialty and sells very quickly. I will be sorry if this fungus kills these berries too.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Blackberry Alert! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page