Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I did it -- Made my first bakeover tonight!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I did it -- Made my first bakeover tonight! Next Topic  

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  11:44:46 PM  Show Profile
And not only did it turn out, but I got rave reviews from kiddos and hubby. Yeah!!!

I started with MJ's ham and potato recipe in the recipes magazine edition and went from there. (I never can leave a good recipe alone -- always have to embellish, substitute or add something different). I used Mozarella and a little bit of cheddar cheese, added some bacon, and for seasoning, I did use sea salt, but added a bit of garlic besides the thyme.

Oh, and I made it in the 9" pan which said it made four servings. . . Well, I would say it made about SIX servings -- there's plenty left over for tomorrow's lunch and we all had seconds! YUMMMMM!

I just can't believe how simple and yet inventive and clever these bake-over things are. I NEVER would have thought of topping sauted veges and meat with a biscuit mix crust and then baking it all in the oven. . . But why wouldn't THAT be good, eh? Duh! I'd have gone a lifetime without ever thinking to do that. Yeah Mary Jane.

Anyway, I am geeked out of my mind now to try more bake-over combo's. And I've got my chill-over stuff to try out too. Woo hoo!

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  07:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh, we have another convert....aren't those bakeovers great? And of course our imaginations runs rampant with this concept ... I've even done a "leftover" bakoeover, with bits of this and that to clean out the fridge...it's all so good!

Thanks for sharing your experience, and your excitement, Renee!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Jody Harmon
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Jody
Maple Plain MN
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  09:57:42 AM  Show Profile
How do you all serve a Bake Over? I have the Budget Mix and the recipe edition of the magazine but haven't attempted a Bake Over yet. Do you kind of slice it up like a pizza?

Jody

Monroe's Mom
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  2:48:20 PM  Show Profile
yes, i guess you could say slice it like a pizza, or a pie! i started making them about 8 months ago i think???? i've tried all kinds of combinations and they are really good. actually, in a pinch, i used a bag of frozen cauliflower, thawed it first and then sauteed it in the bakeover pan, added some onion and cheese and garlic......it came our really great. i've also sauteed a chicken breast in the pan, then took it out and cut it into thin strips, added some veggies and cheese and made the bakeover that way.....that was real good, too! and they are very filling! anyway, have fun!
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  05:50:24 AM  Show Profile
You aren't a kiddin'! Mary Jane REALLY has a winner in these "bakeovers". I made my first one last night. I need to order the pan because the non-stick I have with a metal handle is a bit small and there was more bread than filling and so it was a little dry but I couldn't fit anymore into that little pan. I do have a bigger non-stick pan but it has a plastic handle and I don't think I can put that into a 425 oven safely!
I can't wait to try other combos and it's so quick and easy and healthy plus I cleaned out my frig and didn't waste anything. This is just the greatest! I used potatoes, carrot, green pepper, onion, cheddar cheese, and garlic, salt and pepper...YUMMO!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I did it -- Made my first bakeover tonight! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page