Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Amount of sheets needed to crochet rug?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Amount of sheets needed to crochet rug? Next Topic  

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  11:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls,
I used the search function and tried to find if this question had been asked and answered already, and came up empty, so. . .

I would like to try crocheting a "braided" rug. I have Mary Jane's Stitching book (that's how addicted I am -- I can't sew a stitch!) and was intrigued to find her recipe for crocheting rugs. I DO know how to crochet, so now I'm cruising Ebay for cheap sheets.

However, I'm not sure how many I will need. Is there a formula out there in determining this? (Something like: "For a 36" round rug, you will need X number of twin flat sheets, X number of full sheets, X number of Queen sheets, or X number of King sheets.)

Thanks in advance,
Renee M. up in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  05:07:46 AM  Show Profile
It all depends on how big you want to make it! I have one that is about five feet across, and it took 11 sheets. The last outer rows take one sheet per row. :) I would think that if you want one sort of "bathmat" size, then two to three would do. You are going to love making crocheted rugs. They are super easy and when you are done, they are the most wonderful cushy rugs under your feet!
Have fun. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  06:39:18 AM  Show Profile
All depends on the size of the needle and the stitch you use. I made a 3 x 5 with size Q and use one full sheet.

debinmtns #63
http://handcraftedncreated.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  06:48:38 AM  Show Profile
My rug, made with one twin, one fitted twin, and one full sheet, turned out about 2 by 3 1/2 feet. Oval. But I think my crochet stitches tend to be tight. I try to loosen up but it didn't work this time!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  10:47:02 AM  Show Profile
I need to do this when I find time..I love how they look. I need to get finished on 100 other things first though..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Karin,
I agree... I LOVE to make these..... Do most of You use the "Q" hook?... and has anyone tried using flannel?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  1:37:28 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest quite a bit ;because crocheting with material will shrink up when crocheted and you may think you have a lot when you start,
But, you will be surprised.
this is a good idea if your sheets are worn thin too.
Mine are getting old because I have been married 32 years this June
You could buy worn out cotton things at the army store or yard sales etc
Be sure to cut off the buttons and save them for other crafts
My deceased Gran would cut off buttons and put them in a tin box or a mason jar and save them
She brought a lot of old cotton clothes to do hers with. pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  2:05:12 PM  Show Profile
Do these rugs work well in the bathroom? How do they hold up to moisture? Thanks. By the way, has anyone tried crocheting with nylon rope for an outdoor rug or door mat? I've seen several patterns for this but I haven't given it a try.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  2:31:08 PM  Show Profile
I've never made one but my girlfriend did and gave it to me and that is exactly where I have it...in my bathroom. It works wonderfully and they are so cushy....great for in front of the lictchen sink when you're standing and washing dishes...easy on the legs! I have washed and dried mine in the machine many times and it comes out beautiful every time. I want to make some too but like one of the gals said...too many projects started right now that I need to finish!
Good luck and let us know how it goes. I really want to make these too someday.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  4:05:48 PM  Show Profile
My daughter put hers in the bathroom and they have held up great, better than other rugs actually. And hers have gotten softer with time.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Amount of sheets needed to crochet rug? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page