Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Company drivers with road rage--now THAT'S smart!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Company drivers with road rage--now THAT'S smart!! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  09:08:09 AM  Show Profile
This is the second time I've witnessed this idiocy, and it just floors me--a driver for a liquor distribution company in Louisville (and Lexington, and Owensboro) got mad at Jus last night because we couldn't see his "signal" to get over (because we were watching the 4 lanes of traffic all merging into two--Jus was a little busy), and when we passed him, he was flipping us off, yelling and gesticulating. Which I thought was just stupid. But then, he got over behind us and rode our bumper while speeding, trying to intimidate us out of his way. This is a 2 ton or more truck, and we're a honda civic in rush hour traffic--he's acting like a jerk in stop and go traffic on the expressway.

After a few seconds, I thought "hey, just for fun..." and I got out my notepad and a coffee stirrer (no pen ) and turned around to make a big production of ME "writing" down HIS information....and guess what? He dropped back like the engine had fallen out of his truck and left us immediately alone.

Are folks just that stupid? Why would you a)jeopardize the safety of others because you didn't get over....it happens to me constantly;

and b) why would you act like an ignorant heathen in your COMPANY'S logoed, numbered vehicle? I've debated about calling the company, because in this economy, I don't want anyone to lose their jobs. But, also, I don't think it's fair for people to risk someone else's safety because they're ticked.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  09:17:06 AM  Show Profile
I thnk you should call the company. If he did it to you, he's done it to others. I know truck drivers can get really frustrated because people don't realize how hard it is to stop and maneuver in those big trucks. But riding your tail and putting yourself and others in greater danger is not cool. If he's so mad that he's acting that way, he's not paying attention to the other things going on around him.

It can be super frustrating for us when we are going lights and sirens in the fire engine and people just stop in front of us or won't pull over or cut us off. We are taught to drive defensively and be ready for those things to happen. But it is really hard to stop on a dime when you have thousands of pounds of water sloshing behind you!! If we lose our temper, we are the ones in trouble, not the driver who we'd like to pound at that moment!!!

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  09:28:32 AM  Show Profile
It's crazy out there, Angie, right? I always try to be courteous, and I'm sure there are times when I'm not, or not paying the right amount of attention, but I just thought he was silly. I can't imagine how hard it must be to drive an ambulance, especially when people won't get out of the way! It's almost like they don't know the etiquette anymore regarding emergency vehicles.

Several months ago, a guy in a glass repair pickup got mad at me because I didn't turn right quickly enough (on red) for his tastes. I was in an unfamiliar area and I didn't really worry too much about it, until he got on the entrance ramp behind me (which was a 180 degree turn) and was weaving in and out behind me, running up close on my bumper, blowing his horn and making rude gestures. I was just trying to navigate the turn without dying--what do you do in those situations, go off into the grass median and get stuck? When we hit a certain point in the turn, I saw the logo of a local glass company, so I called when I got back to the office. The dispatcher new exactly who he was because of the GPS tracking devices and had her manager call me back. I was scared at that point, this time I was just frustrated.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  09:52:20 AM  Show Profile
Angie my daughter could truly relate to you. She drives an ambulance and a fire truck and some of her stories just make you shake your head. But the best was the woman who gave her the royal salute for pulling up behind her, lights and sirens on, and making her pull over so they could get by. I just had to laugh because she was just livid, ranting "who gives an ambulance the finger???"! Some strange folks out there in driving land for sure.
Jonni your story gave me butterflies in my stomach. Please drive careful!!
Di
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  10:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Oh honey, geez. I have been thinking about this topic lately acutally because I see them acting dumb and yes the logo is on there. I remember who I don't like also haha. I would call the company. $ and jobs come and go but a life does not. That was beyond ridiculous and what if his brakes had given out or something happened? Honestly!!! Thank god nothing did happen. I think your intuition is telling you to call. xoxo

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  10:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I say call the company, too. He could kill somebody. The company should be grateful, since they would get sued if he did cause a wreck.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  11:41:48 AM  Show Profile
I am including a portion of the email that I sent to all managers, and office managers for all three locations:

"I am writing to all managers and office managers because I don't know which location this affects. I thought you would want to know of a situation that my husband I experienced with one of your delivery drivers yesterday afternoon (about 5:10 p.m), driving home in rush hour traffic on the Erlanger, Kentucky feeder to 71/75 South. Two of your distribution trucks were merging from right to left (either they came from 275 W or 275 E, it all merges right there).....I go on to describe his intimidation and erratic behavior.
I closed with
"We weren't intimated by this, we are ANGERED by this complete disregard for our safety and those around us, his blatant misuse of company property, and in this economy, pride in his employment. You should immediately make all your drivers aware that the conduct they show on the road represents your company. And, if you don't have pride in your employees, then at the very least, make sure your insurance coverage is adequate, because one day someone will get hurt."

I received an immediate response from 2 of the managers. One stated stated how sorry he was, that he was glad we were alright, and that they always stress to their hourly paid employees safety over time. He said he will address it with all his drivers at that location. The other was apologetic and thanked me for writing to advise him.

That's about all I can do...and hope that he's not so silly the next time.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  11:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good for you, Jonni. Well said!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  11:56:08 AM  Show Profile
Definitely call, Jonni. I remember a few years ago, a car ahead of me was cut off by a dump truck full of dirt and gravel. The truck nearly tipped over and the car in front of me had to swerve. Well, I was on my way to pick up my cat, who had been euthanized that morning. I guess it was the wrong time for that truck driver to do something stupid, because I followed him all the way back to his place of employmenet, walked up the stairs to the main office and proceeded to tell his manager exactly what had just happened. As I was leaving the driver came in, said "Hello, ma'am." and held the door for me. Too late for polite behavior, pal. As I went down the stairs, I could hear the manager giving him what-for at the top of his lungs. I don't know if it helped, but I felt better having reported such irresponsible behavior.
If we don't stand up and say something about these drivers, they will continue to intimidate us on the roadways.
Call.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

NikkiSAllen
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Nikki
Aurora IN
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  12:07:14 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, Jonni!! The traffic around here is bad enough as it is without all the idiots causing even more problems!

Nikki
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  12:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Is it just me, Nikki, or has this area become increasingly "unfriendly" for drivers. Noone (around here) lets each other in or out anymore, noone waves "thank you"--it's almost like it's their right. I always get "run down" in the slow lane going 65. As if I'm not going fast enough....IN THE SLOW LANE.

It's very frustrating to me...and as some of you know, I got hit a few months ago in a parking lot, and it has really changed my perspective on driving. I'm just a LOT more cautious now, and I take my time getting everywhere I go...and with how expensive gasoline costs are, you'd think folks would want to conserve, but they blow by me like I'm sitting still!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  2:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That slow lane thing happens to me a lot too, Jonni. Between Louisville and the farm. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm on the Snyder Freeway or Dixie Highway. They just want to 'mow me down'. Evidently, nobody but me cares about mileage.....

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  2:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Not long ago, a driver with a company that does a lot of business with my son's employer would have hit me head on if I'd not been alert and able to swerve out of the way. I right away called my son, got the name and number of the dispatcher and called them right away. I had the truck number and time and place of the incident. Later I heard that the driver was out of a job as of that day-wasn't the first complaint but mine had him pinpointed where he couldn't lie out of it.
Once upon a time, I was married into a stunt family and learned a lot of defensive driving tips that are very helpful.
Makes one wonder how and where these people get their drivers licenses.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  3:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yep, remember I posted about the lady with the Gymanstics company ad on her SUV who I emailed and she rudely wrote me back??? Well she cut me and 10 cars off again yesterday. I called the police and they took the information but cannot do anything. They told me to follow her next time, keeping my distance and call them.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  03:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, you were right in reporting the incident to the company. Road rage is a hugh problem in this country and also just being an impolite driver. It seems that most folks are in a hurry and want everyone else off the road when they drive.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl...farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  07:53:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm an over the road truck driver and go coast to coast and this is from my point of view.

If the guy was local, he probably had a schedule to keep OR the more trips he made, the more money he makes. So he gets pent up with aggression cuz he can't go when he needs and finally starts to explode. I'm sure he's done it before or if it was the first time, he'll keep doing it. You're right to let the company know but a lot of times, the complaint goes into File 13 (the trash can) but at least you did what was right. These locals have a lot of pressure on them and if the company did say something, maybe he will think before he does it again, doubtful but maybe. Finding good drivers is getting really, really hard now so the comapny may be loathe to do much of anything.

But from a long haul truck driver POV, 4 wheelers all the time get in my way and it's like the driver is oblivious to the rest of the world. Coming onto the highway from the on ramp, people will not look anywhere, just keep driving and even will drive on the shoulder rather than give way. I can put on a blinker and cars will not let me over for love nor money. There is a report that shows that something like 75% of car/big rig accidents are the cars fault. I heard of this last year or year before and can't prove it but I'd say it was true. What I see out on the highways, there are big rig drivers drive who like nuts but for the most part, it's the cars who put everyone in danger.

I used to get ticked off at cars cuz I had to get somewhere but now I figger it's not worth it in the long run, should I cause an accident. So the load can wait till I get whereever safely and in one piece! Does not matter if my office pushes me or not. I'm doing it safely and that's that.

Of all the accidents I've been in, it's been a car who has hit me. Not me hitting them (excpet when a lady lost control on a snowy highway and I T-boned her and she took full responsibility and was cited a lot) or even another big rig hitting me, always it's cars.

I kind of got off on a tangent but I just wanted to stick in my $.02!!

Winona ;-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  07:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Understood, Winona....My uncle drove horse vans for a living (the REALLY big semi's full of horses) up and down the highways, so I'm familiar with trucker's woes and I've always tried to be courteous--this particular feeder ramp has SO many lanes going into 2 and you have to have eyes in the back of your head for the folks who a:don't signal and just cut you off, b: the cell phone talkers with their left hands up, blocking their vision to merge left, c: or the folks who just totally STOP, flip on a signal and you sortof "wait" for the 200 other cars behind you to run into your behind...so often times, you're just trying to stay alive and not kill others. We weren't trying to be nasty--Jus really didn't see his signal.

The email from the main route manager said this: ..."REST ASSURED WE WILL COVER WITH ALL OUR DRIVERS. THEY ARE PAID BY THE HOUR AND WE CONSTANTLY STRESS SAFETY OVER TIME. GLAD YOU ARE ALRIGHT. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO EMAIL ME..."

That says to me, the longer you take, the more you get paid, so I'm really not sure what all the hurry was for!

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  10:32:39 PM  Show Profile
"you're just trying to stay alive and not kill others." Oh boy, does THAT say it all!! That's my philosophy of driving, alright!!

I don't know exactly what to think about the email you received...on one hand, I think the manager is placating you and on the other, I think he was trying to reassure you. No telling why the driver was in a big hurry...could be any number of things!

Anywho, glad you're okie-dokie!!

Winona ;-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  06:20:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, we all know here that "type" is a hard way to communicate our feelings...I gathered that he was man of few words--and honestly, I appreciate that he even took the time. I'm sure there are 12 gazillion other things on his plate but he did respond.

Glad we're fine, too....it just adds more "caution" to my everday existence.

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  06:51:37 AM  Show Profile
gurlfrenz .. i haven't had time to read all the responses .. but wanted to quickly put in a personal experience (and therefore 'advice') that i know of.

a woman i used to work with called me in the middle of the night looking for the phone number of my boss (this is when i lived in denver) .. i worked for a 'criminal attorney' (ha! noooo .. he was NOT a criminal .. he represented those who had been charged with a criminal offense). and her (kind, sweet) boyfriend was in big need of a criminal attorney's services!)

her boyfriend really was a very nice person from anything you might have known of him. i only met him twice .. but the lady i worked with was always telling us how kind and gentle he was).

he had worked late one evening .. and was on his way home .. an 'aggressive' driver unfortunately came into his life this evening .. i don't remember all the 'particulars' .. but i do remember that something 'clicked' in his head in a very negative way ... and when he pulled up to a red-light beside the aggressive driver .. who looked at him and 'smirked' ... her boyfriend reached into his glove compartment .. pulled out a gun .. and shot him in the face and killed him.

you never know who is in another vehicle or why their behaviour is bad or strange. the very best thing, in my opinion, is to get a license number (of course, you might have to go to court and testify against this person) .. and get out of the way!! do not respond in kind or any other way that might provoke an aggressive driver.

i know this is hopefully not the way most would respond .. but tell that to the dead driver of the car that provoked my friend's friend.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  12:30:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh Frannie, that's AWFUL! No offense, real or perceived, is worth another human beings life!!! There are times when I have wanted to beat the stuffin' out of a rude individual, but I never wanted to KILL them! Most often, if I make a mistake while driving and a person starts yelling and flipping me off, I just wave and smile and go on my way. I think that kind of baffles them, or something. They usually drive off with a puzzled look on their face.

My sister had an incident one time where she accidentally cut off another driver. The guy actually chased her into a nearby park, cut her off with his truck (there were a bunch of kids inside with him-- she had her two small children in hers), and he proceeced to jump on the hood of her car and scream at her! She was so scared! When he saw her pull out her cell phone and call 911 he jumped back in his truck and tried to get away, but my sister blocked HIM in so he couldn't leave. She said by the time the cops arrived he and the kids in his truck had made up a story that was totally false.

She was going to take him to court and sue him for the damage done to her car, but she was so scared of the guy, she eneded up MOVING to an new home because her Address was on the court papers. She also found out that he was a driver for COCA-COLA!!!! We all told her to contact the company and report the driver, she had his name and the police report, but she refused to do it. Such a scary thing to know that a man suffers from so much rage on his OWN time, what's his behavior like behind the wheel of the company Simi? Glad you're all right Jonni. Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Company drivers with road rage--now THAT'S smart!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page