Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 Midwestern Farmgirls, How Are You Doing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic Midwestern Farmgirls, How Are You Doing? Next Topic  

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  07:31:39 AM  Show Profile
This past week has wreaked quite a bit of havoc in WI, IN, and IL. I was just wondering how you ladies fared between the tornadoes and the flooding.

Dawn in IL

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4272 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4272 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  10:28:32 AM  Show Profile
Hey Dawn, we have not had any of the bad weather besides some rain. It is raining here now, and supposed to keep going till tomorrow. We are lucky to live in the hills, so no worry about flooding. Hope things are going well by you.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1838 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1838 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  7:10:43 PM  Show Profile
I live between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City and both cities have major flooding right now. The Coralville dam has spilled over and the Cedar River is expected to crest tomorrow at the highest level ever.
We are setting records. It is raining right now which is adding to the problems. Where we are, we are OK. But all around us there is major flooding in all the counties. So far no fatalities but much damage to homes and properties in this part of Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  7:47:26 PM  Show Profile
To all the ladies out there, I was also wondering if everyone is okay!!!
Please let us know if anyone needs anything!

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jun 12 2008 7:49:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  06:45:41 AM  Show Profile
Michele & Marlene, I'm glad to hear your doing fine so far. I see Iowa is having an awful time of it though. Like Monica said, "Please let us know if anyone needs anything!" I'm sure these aren't the kind of records IO wants to set!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Christy
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Christy
Manhattan Kansas
46 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  12:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Talk about crazy weather. In the past two weeks our town has been hit by softball size hail twice and than on Wednesday night a tornado hit five blocks from my house. Thankfully we only had a little debris in our yard and no one was killed. My husband's office and lab lost its windows and roof. He works at Kansas State University which has a lot of damage. It least it is summer time so all the students are gone.

Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  8:02:05 PM  Show Profile
We have been flooded in or out of our home 5 times this year already. One of the floods we had was really bad, I was up half the night moving animals so they wouldn't drown. I didn't lose anyone though! Close, too close. My puppies got swept under our deck with the current and only their heads were sticking up when we found them. Our land is a mess and a lot of our stuff has floated away. I count us very lucky though, when watching the news and seeing Palo, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City, plus the numerous other communities where the water is so high second stories have water damage. It's heartbreaking. After the worst winter I remember, with record-breaking snowfall, now here we are with record-breaking floods.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  8:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Heather, please let us know if you need anything!!! I am praying for all of you in that area. I am so glad that everyone is okay and I hope you get some rest!!

monica
Go to Top of Page

jdiskin
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jody
Mechanicsburg PA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  07:33:40 AM  Show Profile
All in my family are praying for you farmgirls in the Midwest. My youth group is always searching for a service project. Any suggestions to help with the flooding clean-up?

Peaceful Acres Farm
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  2:38:30 PM  Show Profile
I am lucky, we haven't had hardly a drop (knock-on-wood) compared to my fellow midwesterners, but I am sick of rain and gloomy days.
The skeeters are starting to hatch too, so it is now very itchy if you stick your nose outside the front door. (Deep Woods Off anyone?)
But I won't whine too much, it could be so much worse.

Ladies,
you are in my prayers. It is heartbreaking to see people who have lost everything on TV, and then have a news crew stick a mike and a camera in their face.
Let us know how you are doing.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jun 17 2008 2:43:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  7:00:30 PM  Show Profile
Here a website from the Dept. of Transportation in Iowa that a friedn sent me that has really good pictures of what it is/was like all over the state during the flooding. My family and friends still live there and they're fine but so many people lost so much. It's been a rough Spring everywhere I think and with the farms in IA flooded food prices are going to go even higher. Anyway...here;'s the site if you're interested...

http://iowadot.gov/floods/2008gallery.html

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  11:42:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm praying for all of you. I have family and friends in IL and they are all dry except for one friend. The corn crop they put in is pretty much gone from flooding. Glad that most of our Farmgirls are doing ok.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1838 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1838 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  11:30:08 AM  Show Profile
Jody, The website to check is www.2008Flood.org It lists the needs of people and a place
to let people know about volunteering. The Red Cross is also handling volunteer information so you could call them.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  5:18:47 PM  Show Profile
On top of the tons of rain we've gotten here, the mosquitoes are out now in full force. Not to mention all the other annoying bugs that hatch in muggy weather.

I'm praying for all the farmgirls who have been affected by this awful late spring/early summer weather. I sure hope summer improves for July!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  05:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow the pics really show how much damage has been done. Praying for all of you. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  05:07:53 AM  Show Profile
We are drying out and I was fortunate that my tiny town sits high enough and just enough away from the rivers that it wasn't hit too hard. Of course, the farmers have lost most of their crops just from the 9 inches of rain we got in a ten hour period. Corn wasn't up enough to survive. They are trying to get in a crop of beans but many field are just too wet to put in the heavy equipment.

Now they are saying rain and storms for the next five days!! I am sick, sick, sick of rain. It seems like it started raining in March and hasn't stopped for more than a day or two since then. But with God's help we will survive and come out better than before. I have seen farmers with their head in their hands and looking so down. It just breaks my heart.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Midwestern Farmgirls, How Are You Doing? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page