La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  09:06:36 AM  Show Profile
I was just writing my recipe buddy and got to thinking about when I found MJF and wondered how others found her too. Hope I'm not repeating a topic.

At my other job I used to have lunch at Borders Books. It was large, had great soup and reading through magazines or books at lunch time just rejuvinated me for the second half of my work day.

Anyway, I was looking through the magazine rack and there she was -
like a beacon in the fog. I think it may have been her second or third issue. When I got back to work I went on the website to look around and loved the diary of people who had gone through the Paydirt School. The history of the farm and the Palouse area was really cool - I loved it. When her book came out I would sit and read through it - at the time it was a little too rich for my pocketbook. I loved how peaceful and calm the pictures and even the stories made me feel. It was the perfect getaway before going back to work.

So - how did you find MJF?

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  09:10:48 AM  Show Profile
My mum found her magazine pretty much same way you did. Our grocery/natural food co-op had their magazine, and she decided to bring it home after finding out she was local to Idaho. At leat that's how I remember it, it's been a few years now. For some reason I have this thought in the back of my mind that we'd seen an article or something on MJF before we found her magazine...

Anyway, I quickly stole her magazines and became hooked on everything farmgirl and MJF. Mum bought some of her foods and loved it, too. :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  09:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I actually got an offer in the mail...the ideas really appealed to me, so I sent off for it! When I got the first issue I just knew that it was on my level. Love, love, love it!!!

Samantha

Dirt under my nails and weeds in my hair...don't tell me I can't dress up with flair!
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  09:20:18 AM  Show Profile
We had just moved from an apartment in the city, out to a hobby farm in the country and were suffering major culture shock. I had been agonizing over the crooked floors and walls in my house, and the rotting boards on my barn. I was thinking, I cant have students out here to ride when the place looks like this! Feeling more than a little overwhelmed at doing it all on my own I was standing in tractor supply trying to find a magazine or book to learn about chickens. I scanned the rack and spotted a face, a pretty vintage looking title. I reached for the magazine which appealed to me because I am a woman with almost no experience trying to do this on my own. Mary Janes Farm? A farm owned by a woman? In the name and in the image I saw courage, determination, beauty, and ownership that made me feel, yeah! Im not crazy. I really CAN do this.. There is even a magazine about this! I didnt know Mary Jane was married at the time, it really didnt matter because it was HER farm... She wasnt just some passenger who got to live on Jim's farm or Bob's farm. Since my husband passed away I have had to try to be so capable and a lot of the times I would stand on the sidelines, afraid I would do it wrong or look foolish. Sometimes family members would say, well, you better get married because you cant take care of all that yourself.

Mary Jane teaches us that not only can we do it, we can do it in an apron looking beautiful, and its okay to paint pink over the rust...

Not all those who wander are lost...
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  09:24:50 AM  Show Profile
I can't find her magazine anywhere around here, so I suscribed online and am waiting for my first issue. How I found my way here though is I was searching the internet for any articles on milling my own grain and it led me to a posting here. One thing led to another and I fell in love with this board. So here I am.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  4:16:16 PM  Show Profile
I saw a copy of MJs book and fell in the love with its purity. I bought the book and found she was so very real. The rest is history ...

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  4:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ya know, I honestly can't remember. I think I was researching farmgirl clothes and this website came up and I browsed and saw there was a discussion forum and I got excited. Then I ordered her first book and we have been in love ever since!!! : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  4:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I was in Tractor Supply with my fiance. Before he came into the picture I probably wouldn't have been in the store more than once or twice a year. But it's one of our weekend haunts. He was looking for his magazine, oh something about roping, and I was just browsing the rack to see if they had anything I would be interested in. I had pretty much given up hope on ever finding a magazine I would read front to back. I wanted a magazine that offered a variety of recipes, garden tips, crafting ideas... That's when I saw MJF. I flipped through the pages and fell in love.

Melanie

http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Edited by - melanie47601 on Jun 10 2008 4:53:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  4:56:28 PM  Show Profile
When I purchased her first book. I loved it, came here and fell doubly in love. This truly is an amazing bunch of wonderful people.

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

stablegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Elizabeth
Jenkintown PA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  5:13:19 PM  Show Profile
I accidentally found it in the bookstar hidden in the back on a rack with unrelated magazines - I was looking for something on vegetable gardening - saw the title and realized that what I was actually looking for was a mag on the inner farm girl...why else would I have a vege garden in the middle of a Philly suburb? Saw that a lot of readers adn writers also had blogs and really got interested because I had just started a blog of my own

http://post-oil-learning.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  8:01:05 PM  Show Profile
I was looking at the gardening section of Borders and walked by MJ's lifebook and picked it up, paged through it. I put it down and got online and ordered it from the library.
I went back and bought the following week.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  03:35:58 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering about ladybug infestations in the home and found a whole discussion here about them oh, 4 years ago I think?

It's been good being able to have long distance chats and sharing ideas with all kinds of people

Face to face, there aren't too many younger people around here who farm like us farmgirls do. It's kind of like being able to just walk over and knock on a neighbor's door for whatever
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  06:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I was in a Kroger store I'd never been in before in Indiana with a truck driver friend of ours, buying him some groceries for his next long haul. I was just standing next to him at the long magazine display, and just happened to spy the title. Anything with the word 'farm' will stop my gaze. But when I picked it up and looked inside, I was hooked. Been here ever since.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  1:00:17 PM  Show Profile
Our local paper the Statesman, ran an article about MaryJane (I think this was even before she married Nick) and I am always saving articles about women who are making it somehow, someway. I pinned the article on my bulletin board along with another about a woman in Boise, Idaho who makes custom quilts with a big quilting machine and makes a good living.

Several years later I joined a new book club (I have belonged to many over the years, they hook me in with the 5 free books) called Homestyle Books and in the offer to join was MaryJanes first book as one of the offerings. I got so excited because I already looked up to her and when the book came (I get my mail at work) I shared with my four co-workers and we all just loved it. I started picking up copies, mostly off ebay, and started giving them away for gifts or just because. When I saw the online forum and that we could start our own chapter I did so, and since I was at work on my break, I turned around to my co-workers and said "Ladies we are now a chapter of MaryJanes farm and we are the Mountain Farmgirls of Idaho City".

This has proven to be a life changing experience for almost all of us plus the many other women who belong to our chapter. Belonging set the wheels in motion and we discovered talents and friendships we did not know we had. Now MaryJane has been to our city and spent three busy days with us, several of us have been to the farm and stayed in the last couple of months and we are still as thrilled and excited and energized as we were when we started. There is no other woman like her and how fortunate all of are that have found her!

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How you found MJF? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page