Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Help! Stupid Machine Problem!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Help! Stupid Machine Problem!!! Next Topic  

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  9:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I am sewing boning channels onto canvasy/duck cloth type of fabric.
I am using a semi-heavy weight needle.
My problem:
The top portion of the stitching is beautiful, and looks perfect.
The bottom portion (the bobbin part) "skips" stitches and they are looser than the top portion.
I keep having to rip out the stitches and starting over.
I have played with the tension, the stitch length, reloaded the bobbin, changed needles, changed speeds on how fast I sew the "row" and I am stumped. I have sewed the row four times now, and can't get it right. This happened on a totally different project (a cotton skirt) and that is now chucked in a ball on the floor where it landed.

I spend more time being frustrated and diddle farting around, so nothing gets accomplished except a lot of blue words and my temper flaring up.

Any ideas on what the problem is?
My machine is a basic Singer model. It probably has five to ten hours of real use on it.
I shouldn't have to cry EVERY time I TRY to sew something.
I am hoping one of you would have some kind of inkling on what I am doing wrong.
And yes, I realize it is probably something so dumb and simple I will kick myself for not thinking of it all along.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  10:21:23 PM  Show Profile
What type of thread are you using Kate? You may have problems not using a heavy enough thread with a heavy needle on duck. It sure sounds like your tension isn't right and I tend to think it's your thread/needle ratio.
You could try tightening the tension in your bobbin, a quarter turn at a time to see if it makes a difference. Do you have any scraps of the duck to practice on so you don't have to keep ripping out your stitching?
I'm sorry you're having such a miserable time. It is sooo frustrating when you sit down to sew and it doesn't go right. Makes you crazy, don't it?!
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  10:23:59 PM  Show Profile
Three questions:
Have you adjusted the pressure foot pressure?
Have you tried using a walking foot? I LOVE using a walking foot for heavy materials.
Have you tried using top stitch weight thread?... this is a thicker thread and lays more evenly on dense materials. If you use top stitch thread, use a 100 needle.

Good luck! let us know how it goes... I've been at the throw everything on the floor point myself... fortunately my machine stays on the table since it is sooo expensive ;)

Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  10:25:09 PM  Show Profile
Diane and I must have been posting at the same time!
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  10:46:30 PM  Show Profile
No, I don't have a walking foot and didn't know you can adjust your foot tension. I don't sew a lot, and when it does go well (once) I was thrilled with my effort.
I will try adjusting the foot tension.
BTW- The thread is a standard general purpose thread. The needle size I am using is an 11 if that helps.

I don't sew a lot, and frustration is one of the reasons. My heart has me making spectacular things. My hands and my head are much more practical and know my limited capabilities and patience.

Oh and thanks!!!!!

I am waiting to hear from the sewing goddess on my other forum. She can and has sewn anything and loves to help.
I am thinking it is a combination of things.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jun 09 2008 10:48:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  07:11:27 AM  Show Profile
Don't give up! sewing takes patience and persistence, especially with new projects.

A walking foot is a really good investment... it isn't just for bulky/heavy fabrics, but makes a difference for "slinky" ones too.
If you are able to get a walking foot, top stitch thread, and size 100 needle I think you will find this will be a great solution.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  07:15:29 AM  Show Profile
I hear you, girl! My husband used to ask me why I sewed since I swore so much at the machine. It is so frustrating when you can't get the little buggers to behave. I dpn't know anything else to tell you past all the good suggestions you've gotten from the other girls. I remember once being so frustrated I called a friend, and after we had run through the possibilities, she said, well rethread your machine once again and change needles again, and by some miracle that worked. It isn't your fault, all these electrical devices are very finicky at different times. Especially when sewing on thicker cloth, it does make it a real challenge to find just the right combination. Hang in there, kiddo......Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  09:10:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kissmekate

The thread is a standard general purpose thread. The needle size I am using is an 11 if that helps.

I think this might be your problem Kate. An 11 (if the needles are sized the same as here in Canada) is a fairly light needle. Try changing to a 14 or even a 16 denim needle. Also, as Lizabeth suggested, purchase a topstitching thread. It is heavier weight and tends to stitch smoother on heavy fabrics.

Hang in there, it will come together. I remember turning the air blue myself when I was learning to sew spandex years ago. Yucky stuff to work with!
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  3:07:34 PM  Show Profile
A sewing machine dealer told me once that if the problem is on the bottom of the fabric the cause is with the upper part of the machine...needle, thread, upper tension. If the problem is on the top of the fabric the cause is the bobbin tension. So it sounds like it is probably needle size and thread weight.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Help! Stupid Machine Problem!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page