Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Cat and Newborn...Any Advice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cat and Newborn...Any Advice? Next Topic  

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  6:07:22 PM  Show Profile
I am 35 weeks pregnant and we have a 4 year old cat. My husband is really worried about the transition of our cat and newborn being together. I have always had cats and am comfortable with it, but my husband did not have inside animals growing up. My cat is like a family member to me and I can't give her away. I would REALLY appreciate any tips from anyone who has introduced their cats to their newborns. You always hear those horror stories about the cats who smothered the newborn, and even though it hardly ever happens, it doesn't mean that it won't happen. Any advice??????

Edited by - BarnChickCecily on Jun 09 2008 6:19:43 PM

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  7:11:18 PM  Show Profile
Well, we had 3 cats and two dogs when my son was born. We made sure that the nursery door was always closed, and made certain areas pet free zones. It helps keep pet hair at bay in baby locations too. When my son was very tiny we often had him in the stroller inside the house to snooze, that way he could be wheeled into the kitchen or wherever I was working and I just watched him. my pets never were interested in him, and with a little close monitoring I see no problem. :)

Not all those who wander are lost...
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  7:23:12 PM  Show Profile
I had 2 cats when my kids we small. My daughter had 3 when hers were little. They never caused a single problem. They came over and sniffed. One of mine loved the kids and horrors of horrors he did sleep with both my girls when they were little. Never up by their heads but if he could get in he would sleep down at the bottom of their crib. If they woke up he would come and get me. It was pretty cute. But he was a one of a kind cat. My Grandson has had his kitty Milo since he was about a yr.old. He is his best buddy and he sleeps with him every chance he got and still does. My grandson is 10 now. I always had cats too. I am sure there are some things that have happened,there always is. But, just close the bedroom door and keep your cat out if you are concerned. I really don't think it will be a problem for you. So many people get rid of their pets when they have kids, I think it is really not necessary in most cases.Just set you own standards.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  7:31:14 PM  Show Profile
My cats never bothered the babies when they showed up. I think you have to give the kitty a chance. Probably the kitty will want to smell the new baby, but that's natural, my cats want to smell everything that comes into the house, no matter how small. I'm sure things will work out fine...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  02:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for the reassurance! The stroller idea is GREAT! I didn't think to do that. I will definately use that tip! You ladies are wonderful!
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  06:38:10 AM  Show Profile
We had two kitties when Olivia was born. We didn't try to separate them or anything, and the kitties took a shine to her right away. We kept their claws trimmed and let them come up to her at their own pace.

After a couple of days, one of our cats started to sleep under the bassinet! Now they are all three best buddies and they love her. Our ped said that it is great to have cats or dogs when you have a baby because they are less likely to have allergies later on. Our one rule was that they couldn't sleep in the crib or the bassinet.

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  3:14:28 PM  Show Profile
We have two cats and they have been fine with all three babies we have brought home. They smell the babies and that's about all, except this time around our six year old female cat has adopted our newest baby as her own! When I brought him home from the hospital she came over to smell him and starting to lick his hair as if he was a kitten. Whenever he cries she runs to him to see what is wrong and every now and then I see her grooming his head!! I keep a close watch but she never lays near his head and I think it is cute how she is a second mommy to him!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

simplypaige
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Paige
IN
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  6:14:29 PM  Show Profile
I heard about putting up a screen door at the baby's door in order to keep pets out. I thought that was neat so they weren't shut out completely and you can still hear the baby. Good Luck. Paige
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  02:19:04 AM  Show Profile
Great idea, Paige! I will definately consider that! You live VERY close to me and I use to live in laconia...I think I know you...
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  05:03:19 AM  Show Profile
When my son was born, my husband brought home from the hospital a onesie ds had worn and rubbed our cat all over with it. That way she learned the baby's smell right away.
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  08:55:39 AM  Show Profile
My friend did what Lizabeth suggested with her newborn son's blanket before they brought him home. Their kittie adjusted no problem. Her son is now a year and a half and has a four month old cousin and is SO gentle and sweet with her and we swear it's because he learned how to be with the kittie. Their kittie is named Kia and it's the first word their son said!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  6:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I will definately have my husband take home something with our sons smell on it. I think it is really important for children to be around animals. I really appreciate all the advice to keep my son safe and happy!
Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  10:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Cecily,
I think that you just need to use your natural instincs when you bring baby home. You will be very surprised at what comes to you when you have your baby. I brought my first baby home to a fifth wheel trailer, and i have 4 cats. They were inside and outside cats for me. They mostly just wanted to smell her... and the male cats did not seem to interested. My one female was almost protective of the baby:) she kinda kept the males away if they did show some kind of interest. Good luck & when are you due? I am having a baby around July 23... Kristy
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  06:42:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello Kristy! Thanks so much for the advice. I am due around July 15th. It's coming up :o) I wish you good luck and an easy delivery.
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cat and Newborn...Any Advice? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page