Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The Economics of Going Green
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Economics of Going Green Next Topic  

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  10:47:29 AM  Show Profile
In recent years, I have had several people praise me for being so "green" and others act like I am totally out to lunch, for being so green. The funny thing is, I never intentionally have been green! Many years ago, when we were first married and shucked out three babies in three years, things were very tight, so I began looking for ways to save money. I came across the book "The Tightwad Gazette" and was amazed at all the easy recipes for laundry soap, cleaning products, etc. I also read up on "natural" yard sprays and fertilizers . . . once again, purely because of budget . . . and began using some of these methods. I learned how to make many of my own hand canned foods, etc. In the last year, I have switched to baking soda and apple cider vinegar for my hair instead of shampoo. It is much healthier for it. Now, as I am getting older and more aware of environmental concerns, I am seeing the importance of going green, for reasons that go far beyond economics. But, in looking at the savings, I do wonder why more people don't go green. Incidently, in January, we bought a Toyota Prius Hybrid. The savings in gas each month more than pays the car payment (we already have 13,000 miles on it! We drive more than most people.) It is averaging about 53 MPG. I wish I could say this was all simply to help the environment, but in all honesty, saving on gas was our main goal. Helping the environment is just a nice benefit!

I would just encourage each of you to "go a little green" this year. It will not only help the world and our future, but it will also help your pocket book.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  12:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Brends.
Please share the recipe for the hair shampoo. I would like to try it. I do the laundry detergent and window cleaner. Saves a lot of money and works just as good, if not better.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  4:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ada Mae,
I actually learned the hair shampoo idea a year or so ago on this forum. It actually isn't shampoo . . . but it works great and leaves hair with no build up. First, mix baking soda in a large cup with hot water. You have to keep stirring, as it separates quickly. Start with two tablespoons and adjust based on the length and thickness of your hair. Scrub it around in your hair and rinse well. Then take apple cider vinegar (I usually fill the glass about an inch or so high with this) and add hot water. Put in hair and then rinse well. Your hair will be so clean! This removes any build up and product, so it will not feel the same as usual. It will eventually make your hair healthier than ever! Hope this is helpful. I have learned so much on this forum over the last 2 1/2 years and look forward to more years of sharing and learning!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  5:02:10 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, thanks so much. I will try this, especially since I have been out in the garden today and did a lot of extra sweating around the hair line. At least this won't leave an residue like the last home hair treatment recipe I tried. It called for mashed bananas. I thought I would never get all the banana out of my hair!!!! (No I didn't get the recipe on April 1)!!!

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  8:16:53 PM  Show Profile
I've been going green for years too. Like a lot of the farmgirls I didn't realize I was doing it until the press caught on these past few years. I am always looking at more ways to make a difference too.

I have tried to be as organic as possible, but prices at the grocery stores these days is putting an end to that. I started up ny own vegetable garden this year, but living in IL limits the number of months we can have fresh produce. My husband and I plan to start putting in fruit trees in our yard. Hopefully we'll see the payoff from that in a few years.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2008 :  5:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
since we're talking about the baking soda shampoo thing, i need to ask. has anybody else gotten poor results from it? my hair is very fine and i felt like it was so greasy all the time when i was using the homemade 'poo. it was bad enough to cause breakouts along my hairline (i have never had bad skin before). i dont know if it was beacuse my hair tends to absorb everything in the air arround me anyway or what.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  06:51:34 AM  Show Profile
53 miles per gallon?! i'm impressed! if i didn't see it "here" i'd still be very skeptical. (your husband doesn't see toyotas does he? ha ha!!) i'll be looking for a new car probably in about a year so i haven't really been doing any research yet.....however, someone told me that the batteries in the hybrid cars were very expensive and that they felt that you spent the money you saved on gas, on replacing that????
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  09:14:30 AM  Show Profile
Great Thread! I have also been green for a long time, but even more so now, to the point of getting angry with my friend up the road cause she won't recycle. I tell her too!
Corrine, I tried the no poo shampoo & it worked OK, but I also have thin hair & felt a bit of a greasy feeling. I also quit cause I know baking soda strips color, & as green as I am, I still get those greys highlighted (I go to an Aveda salon, so they are supposed to be pretty green themselves)& don't want the color washed down the drain. I still do it every now & then, but otherwise just use a good organic or Aveda product.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  1:26:46 PM  Show Profile
My hair is very dry, so I haven't noticed the grease. It just feels very clean to me. Also, I no longer color my hair (am tryting to "embrace" the grays as they show up . . . though I hope they take their own sweet time! LOL!) Yes, the Toyota Prius really is getting that mileage and may go up more as the weather gets warmer. The batteries love warm weather. Yes, those batteries are very spendy, but we were told only 6 cases have been reported and they were all on cars with over 200,000 miles on them. The new hybrids are so much better than the old. The Prius got the best ratings from consumer report not only for mileage, but also for low maintenance. We spent a bit extra for the full warranty, so if the battery did go "kurplunk" we would be covered. Toyota actually outsold Ford last month, which made the news all over the country. The reports said it was because of the Prius and that there is now a two month waiting period. We bought ours in January and only had to wait a week, while they found us the "right color." Since we were planning to have it a long time, I was picky about that this time!

Anyway, I would love to hear what other "green" ideas others have . . . ones that save the environment while also helping keep the green in our pockets!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  2:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Corrine I have tried this mix and it doesnt work for me either. My hair constantly feels thick and greasy. I dont like it.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

www.justanotherhousewife.etsy.com

Aunt Debs Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5848156
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Economics of Going Green Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page