Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Any one else love the sound of combines?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any one else love the sound of combines? Next Topic  

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  07:51:40 AM  Show Profile
I love the sound of combines in the fields, the whirl of the engine and the sound the corn or beans make as they empty the bin~~
I love to see the dust kicked up as they cut their crops.
~~The end of growing season and beginning of harvest~~
A sure sign of fall.
Jan

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  08:33:07 AM  Show Profile
It's the rhythmic sound, isn't it? A baler will do the same thing. Farms sounds are comforting, I agree!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Oct 04 2005 2:44:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  09:31:13 AM  Show Profile
Four years ago, we bought an old combine, that had been setting in a shed for at least 25 years. It was new in the early 50's. The only thing it had ever done was combine alfalfa seed. Husband climbed up on the platform, turned the key, on the first try it started, and just hummed. It was the greatest sound. We plant just a few acres to combine, and the first year we paid for it not having to hire anyone else to do our grain. I just love to see and hear that great old machine work. You feel like you are on top of the world riding on the open platform, it is a great feeling.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  09:57:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jan, Yes I love that sound! When DH starts up our little JD 3200 to cut our wheat it gives me goosebumps, like hearing a beautiful song!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  10:45:35 AM  Show Profile
I agree Westfork..."The top of the world"~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  1:52:55 PM  Show Profile
This topic captured my interest! I love the combine and the bailer. And the creak and slam of a screen door. And the Rainbird sprinkler out on the lawn at night. And the single engine airplanes that buzzed by occasionally. Children laughing and playing. The sounds of summer!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  2:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh Nancy, you brought back another one of my farm memories... hearing the irrigation sprinklers in the field just tapping and swishing away all day and night. Another rhythmic sound. The farm is just full of them.

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  09:37:26 AM  Show Profile
I agree! There is something that makes me feel so patriotic as I look out my window and any direction I look a combine can be seen. Some days it's as many as 4-5 at a time. I love it! It warms my heart and reminds me that yes, this land is my home! However, I do have to quickly run to shut all the windows so all that lovely dust stays outside!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  09:48:07 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree. It's such a beautiful site to see. I also like watching them at night.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  5:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh yesss ~~ Combines at night~~They were cutting the fields the other night till after we went to bed...
Now they look like nicely groomed fields...sorta like a buzz cut on a little boy~~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any one else love the sound of combines? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page