Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  11:46:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm off today and was hungry for some lunch. I didn't want to go get fast food but I wanted something fast. So popping open the ice box I got out leftovers. 1/2 of a roasted chicken breast, a slice of onion and 3 slices of tomato from yesterdays BLT fixings, grated parmesian from three days ago and 1/2 of a lemon.

In a small skillet I diced up the chicken and onion and set it to heating I added greek seasoning, garlic powder and dill weed and squeezed the lemon over it. Got a pita out of the freezer and put it on the burner to warm and "char" a bit for a "grilled" flavor. Then spread it thinly with mayo. Sprinkled some dill and garlic on top of that. Slid the chicken on the the pita topped it with the cheese and diced tomato.

Man was it good. I'm thinking this might be good as a bakeover with some feta, spinach and olives added too. Topped with fresh tomato and Tziki Sauce on the side.

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  10:14:35 PM  Show Profile
do you have a recipe for tziki sauce? I have a lot of leftover cukes that need to be used up and I was thinking that would be just the ticket.. does it freeze well?

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  12:25:56 AM  Show Profile
TZIKI SAUCE

1 large container of plain Yogurt
1 seedless cucumber
1-3 cloves of garlic
1 table spoon of olive oil
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Put a tea towel in a colander laying flat then empty the container of yogurt into the towel and fold the edges over top of the yogurt and sit the colander over a large bowl and put in the fridge. Checking a few hours, drain the excess water from the bowl and put back into the fridge, leaving it there for at least 8 hrs.
After the yogurt is completely drained then chop the cucumber VERY fine…mincing it almost. Strain the water from that then add it to the strained yogurt in a bowl. Then add 1 to 3 cloves of garlic into the bowl, then the olive oil, salt and pepper.

Mix well. Then put in fridge, covered for at least 6 hrs stirring periodically. Serve Cold. Good for the life span of the yogurt’s expiration date.

Then that’s it!

THIS LOOKS GOOD
shirley in oly

Go to Top of Page

Kit
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mechanic Falls Maine
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  06:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Kit a Yahoo! Message
Have to ask ... tea towel?? And why do you wrap your yougurt in this for several hours?

~clueless at cooking~
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  11:47:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kit

Have to ask ... tea towel?? And why do you wrap your yougurt in this for several hours?

A tea towel is a real tiny towel...you can find them almost anywhere...Target, Walmart and are very cheap. You wrap the yogurt to get all the excess liquid out before mixing the other ingredients in.

This recipe looks wonderful...I copied it to try it--thanks Suzie Q!!!
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  8:52:03 PM  Show Profile
Shirly, That recipe sounds great. I want to try it. I've never made Tziki from scratch. There is a great little Greek/Mediterranean Restaurant/Deli/Market just down the street. I can buy it cheaper than I can make it. $1.25 a pint.

They make the best hummus too. mmmmmm....Ok... Now I'm hungry again!
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  12:03:05 AM  Show Profile
I looked it up on the web, to see what it was, and there was the recipe that sounds really good ,so I just pulled it over here. LOL
Its sounds like something I have eaten at a Indian resturant
shirley
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  09:21:12 AM  Show Profile
This is one of my favorite recipes. I love it, I learned how to make it in Greece. I got my husands whole family hooked on it also.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  06:44:09 AM  Show Profile
hi there,
you could also use cheese cloth to strain the yogurt and if you use sour cream you can freeze it, no problem!!! as they say in greece, "OPA!"

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Greek in less than 5 minutes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page