Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic I'm a Quilter! Next Topic  

The Quilting Diva
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Cynthia
Cumming GA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  6:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see The Quilting Diva's MSN Messenger address
Sometimes it's easier to take something you love to do and make it your work. I have to say though, that it is very hard to earn a living making or finishing quilts for people when they see $50 quilts at Walmart, or $200 quilts at Macy's.

I finish what you or your mom, sister, aunt or grandma started. I make alot of tee shirt quilts for moms of HS and College kids. I have a professional, longarm machine, and work from home.

I'm also a licensed massage therapist and work part time outside the home to help with our expenses. I am a CSA member, and I've just started raising chickens with a friend for eggs! So glad to have found you all!

Cynthia

So many quilts, too little time

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  6:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia, I'm glad you found us too! I'm new to this board also. I don't talk much, but read a lot.

I'm a quilter also and I agree with your statement about what folks think a quilt is worth. I had a quilt donated to a local charity that they sold for $50 and I had well over $350 invested in it. What a sad day it was. Therefore, I give away most of my quilts to friends and family and will continue until they tell me to stop.

Good luck on your chicken raising. I think it would be fun, but our covenants are against livestock in this development. Maybe some day...

Welcome again,
Betty
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  07:41:21 AM  Show Profile
Hello and welcome to both of you. I live in TN where quilters are all around! I truly admire the beauty and work.

Cynthia your life sounds a lot like mine. I sell crafts, write about small farming, work a day job as a director of sells and marketing & have a small farm (5.5 acres) with chickens and gardening.

GOOD LUCK to both of you. I would love to see pictures of your quilts. If you happen to have quilt pictures and are trying to live a farming lifestyle PLEASE email. On Thursdays I feature small farmers ( we don't consider acres, just if you have a farming heart) and could possilbly link to a quilt site if you have one.

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  07:47:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cynthia,

Welcome! You are going to love it here. I love to quilt as well, but I do most of mine by hand. Your quilting machine sounds wonderful. I do sew, but I sew mostly rag dolls, doll clothes and stuffies.
Take care and welcome again,
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic I'm a Quilter! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page