Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What do you do with the recipes you clip?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do you do with the recipes you clip? Next Topic
Page: of 2

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  09:01:04 AM  Show Profile
Years ago, I started clipping recipes from the paper. I have found some of my best recipes this way. I pasted them all in a scrapbook rather than use a recipe file, because I know my mother has lost many a recipe this way. Small scraps of paper are easily lost.

Recently, though, I have found that finding the recipes that I need has become a bit of a chore. I have started to enter them into the computer, in a Microsoft Word file, indexing them by type of food (soups, salads, poultry, fish, etc.). This is arduous and reqiures a lot of retyping.

What do you ladies do with the recipes you clip?

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  09:17:31 AM  Show Profile
I purchased recipe binders from Hallmark. They come with pocket pages and pages you can write or paste on and have indexed dividers.

I started with one first and had all of the great family recipes I grew up with mixed with new things we tried and loved. Then I decided I needed to have a separate book for desserts.

I have pasted an envelope inside the back cover to hold the newly clipped but untried recipes. Then after we try it, it either gets tossed if we hated it or added permanently to the book if we'll want to use it again.

You could use binders from the office supply store too.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  09:33:30 AM  Show Profile
In leiu of retyping them, maybe you could scan them into your computer? For recipes that I've cut out of the paper, I have to admit they are mostly a hodgepodge on my cookbook shelf. Some, in the beginning, (ie 25 years ago!) I did put into those plastic slips and into my little recipe box, but those don't get looked at much. Maybe a scrapbook/notebook with subject dividers would be a good alternative?

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  09:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
What do I do with the recipes I clip? Well being a compulsive recipe clipper I stuff them into a folder already filled to the brim (or is that rim? LOL)! I'm sure that one day I will get them organized (o.k. probably not but at least I have a goal, right????)!!!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  10:40:45 AM  Show Profile
I clip my recipes and have a 5 subject or so notebook. I've used the subject tabs to put my catagory ie: main dishes, desserts etc. I try them first to see if they "qualify" to be taped into my special book. It isnt a full size notebook, but thick enough to keep adding as I try them out~~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  11:07:03 AM  Show Profile
I have a lot of mine I have collected over the past 25 years crammed into an old fleamarket German bean pot ( called a rummtoph). Yes, I confess I am the Queen of Disorganization...but like my SIL said once...If you know where stuff is then you aren't disorganized! One of these years I WILL get organized!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  11:22:05 AM  Show Profile
I have a recipe card box (basket actually with wooden lid) on my kitchen counter that I put clipping and like that in. Every year or so I go through it and if I havn't made the recipe in that year I toss it or if I have made it and we liked it enough to keep I glue the clipping to a recipe card and put it in the same box. It has dividers and I try hard to keep it organized. I have the worlds messiest cookbook shelves though...I am glad they are low and not up high where they are more noticable!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  7:05:31 PM  Show Profile
I found a fabulous shareware computer program called AccuChef. It's very easy to enter recipes in and even comes with lots of recipes all ready in the program. Now I just need to find the time to get all the recipes I've saved over the years into the program.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  07:37:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a folder that I put most recently collected so I can remember to try them out. If they pass and we like them ,they go on index cards and into a two drawer library card file under whatever category the recipe fits. I have many categories as I hate to search for a recipe and not find it.For Example :Dessert is broken down into : Cakes,Candy, Cookies, Pies, Puddings, Tarts,etc. You get the picture. I also have a binder with protector pages for recipes that were written down by people I loved who aren't with us anymore. I can't bear to loose those scraps of paper, back of soup label (my father) and insurance envelope (my Mom) used to give me their "secret" recipes written in their own handwriting!Yes, I AM sentimental!

At one time we were thinking of writing a cookbook, so this helped us get ourselves organized. My husband keeps bringing strange cookbooks home though and I am running out of room for those!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  08:22:49 AM  Show Profile
Those handwritten recipes by beloved family or friends are nice when framed and sitting out. I want my mom to handwrite her Thanksgiving cornbread dressing recipe that she's always made, which is her mom's dressing. It isn't written down anywhere, and I won't be able to make it some day. To this day, my husband and I do the turkeys and several sides, desserts, etc., but Mom always does "chicken and dressing". This part makes us weird to other people, but my grandfather started it: we put Blue Bell vanilla ice cream on our chicken and dressing...
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  08:26:46 AM  Show Profile
Talk about disorganization! I have two binders with dividers, file folders overflowing, a file box, and large blue envelopes, and a pile on my counter, all with recipes I have clipped. I also have three shelves of cookbooks (behind doors thankfully). I need to try Aunt Jenny's idea and toss the clippings if I haven't used them in a year.

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  09:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,
When my younger daughter was going to be married, I wanted to make a really personal from mother to daughter gift. I emailed friends & family & asked them to send me one or more of their favorite recipes. I had a bunch of mine (especially the things that I knew she really liked). I retyped each one into the computer and printed out on card stock in different colors. (must've had a lot of time on my hands that year!) I put pretty stickers on the pages and then put them in protective plastic sheets and into a plain white binder. I found some pretty paper in the scrapbooking aisle at the craft store and inserted and made a label. Put some foodie quotes on the first page. I have a picture with her opening this gift at her shower and it made me so happy to see that she really appreciated this gift. Now I have to work on one for my other daughter. I think I may have most already in pc.

PS: Now my recipes I clipped out are all over the place!!! Have to organize me.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  10:17:38 AM  Show Profile
My daughter made a family recipe book pretty much the same way. She used fancy papers, put on the recipe and a picture of the person the recipe originated from. One of her recipe pages for butternut squash soup has a picture of her great grandmother in the 30's, standing in her market garden with a hoe, surrounded by various squashes. Another page has a picture of her grandmother's chocolate cookies, with a picture of my little nephew eating one with it on his face. So cute! It is a wonderful book she has put together.
I bought a 3 ring binder, some plain paper and dividers for under $3 at the dollar store. Recipes are tucked inside the binder until tried and true and then are inserted in the appropriate place.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  5:07:49 PM  Show Profile
Here's a suggestion: In the middle of the mid-winter blahs, how about we mark our calendars for the week of January 16, 2006, as recipe organizing week? This will be in between the holidays and receiving seed catalogs in the mail, so we might actually get to it if we focused on it as a group. Any takers?

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  5:53:58 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good to me Clare! How about we take it one step further and also have a cookbook swap for any of those cookbooks we never use anymore or never did? Ooooweee! I have got some winners! I'm sure you girls will be burning up the lines of communication for Elvis Presley's "Are You Hungry Tonight"? My husband has actually taken this book out and showed it to someone new we have invited to dinner and he tells them we planned the menu for that night with this "great" book! You should see the look on their faces! They don't know whether to run out imediately or "suddenly" become ill! If you cook with this book you will have "a hunka hunka burning" something but I doubt you will love it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  6:04:28 PM  Show Profile
OK, Bramble - the tears are flowing! Too funny! I've got some ridiculous cookbooks, also - where do they come from??? Oh, wait! I recently took in a box of books to Half Price Books to sell and I included such classics as Entertaining with Regis and Kathie Lee...
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  6:07:31 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good to me! Week of January 16, 2006, recipe organizing and cookbook swap!

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  7:07:02 PM  Show Profile
I have Entertaining with Regis and Kathie Lee. Anyone want it?

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  7:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of which, I highly recommend the book The Gallery of Regrettable Food by James Lileks, which shows off highlights (or low-lights) of old cookbooks. There's more material on his website www.lileks.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  11:18:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm in! I think I have some good ones too!! This should be fun.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  7:51:16 PM  Show Profile
I was a bit slow in getting involved with this topic but after reading all of the posts I am not feeling too bad about my clipped recipe mess. I used to use the expandable file folder with separate marked sections for main meals, vegetable dishes, etc. I stuffed that so full it fell apart. Then I had a shoebox, that didn't work either. Right now I have a book that I bought that I had monogramed as "Raustein(maiden name) Family Favorite Recipes". I got a good start in coping down recipes that mom, dad & grandma had made many times and that I loved. I now copy the clipped recipes that I use over and over into the book. That is fine if I have time. The scary part to this is I have 1 large deep drawer in my kitchen that is just full of clipped recipes - I think I am going to have to take Clare up on the January 2006 week of getting organized. And on the subject of unique cookbooks, I got one many years ago as a wedding gift called (please don't take offense) "White Trash Cooking". Anyone up for Possum Pie or Roasted Squirrel :)

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  11:16:31 AM  Show Profile
After deciding a pile of recipes isn't doing me any good, I pitched them all! Then I bought a cork tile and mounted it on the inside a kitchen cabinet. Now when I find one I think will be a winner,I write the date on top and thumbtack it to the corkboard. The next time it's grocery time, I scan those recipes and pick a couple to try and add any ingredients not on hand. If a month passes and I haven't tried it, I snatch it down and toss it. (I figure after 4 shopping days, if it hasn't caught my eye it never will.) I also find I clip a lot less as you can find almost any recipe on any number of websites these days.
And yes, I did have to dump them just before trash pick-up!
Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  11:15:51 PM  Show Profile
At one time I actually thought of starting a business of organizing recipes for people. Typing them in the computer then making an organized 3 ring binder for them. But I figured I was the only one that had an unorganized mess of clippings and no one would need my services. After reading this thread and discovering I'm not alone! I may reconsider the business!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  06:40:28 AM  Show Profile
It's funny that I stumble across this subject as yesterday, I decided to attack my ever growing pile of recipe clippings. I brought them to the couch with me and during commercials, I orginized one pile. Hey, it wasn't much but one pile at a time is progress, is it not? ha ha

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  08:59:44 AM  Show Profile
Entertaining with Regis and KathyLee is gone.
Mary

Go to Top of Page

mountainmama
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lissa
Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  8:12:42 PM  Show Profile
Well, you all inspired me to get to that MESS of recipes in my drawer. After reading everyone's ideas, I immediately headed to Bed, Bath and Beyond...on a Saturday, no less - tells you how desperate I was to get this project under way...and bought a bunch of photo album pages. I also went to Staples and bought 2 thin black 3-ring binders, went home and got to work! I now have a beautiful compilation of recipes placed in the photo album pages - the kind that peel back and you place your item, large or small, down and cover it back up. It looks so great, and I can better preserve those recipe cards that were written by my grandmother and great-grandmother...not to mention the EASE I now enjoy in finding a recipe!

Lissa
www.cabin-rentals-of-georgia.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do you do with the recipes you clip? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page