Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 My Rosemary plant is looking rather sad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic My Rosemary plant is looking rather sad Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  6:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Gee, this was a gorgeous, dark green, full plant when I bought it, and it is the only one NOT doing well in the new Herb Garden. All the other herbs are growing and this plant is looking yellow and sparse. All I think is that perhaps I shocked it, having had it in the house and/or garage sinec March, until the temps stayed above freezing. The soil in teh garden drains well, and the other herbs nearest to it (parsley, sage, thyme dill, and Lemon Balm) are all doing well.

Anyone have a trick or two for me to give this little plant some extra oomph?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  6:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Can you cut back the yellow parts and maybe give it a little extra organic plant food? I think Home Depot/Lowes has some.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  10:40:50 PM  Show Profile
ok..the other herbs next to your rosemary all need more water than the rosemary plant does.
A rosemary plant is more of a mediterranean/dry sandy type soil plant. it does not like too much water.
cut off the yellow parts and plant it in a sunny spot.
and only water about once a week.
don't water it every day like you water the other plants..you'll kill it with too much kindness.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Jun 01 2008 10:41:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  07:09:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies! I thought it might be getting too much water, so I will move it around and neglect it some...

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  8:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary (my favorite herb) can take freezing temps in winter, but needs full sun and protection from wind, so planting it up against a sunny wall or other barrier is a great idea. I agree that your problem with this plant sounds like overwatering or poor drainage. It could also be suffering ill effects from months of confinement in that garage. Did it get enough light in there? Did you water the plant during that period, or did it dry out? If so, what you're seeing now could be the result of that. The best remedy would be to cut the plant back hard and give it what it wants. It may not really spring back very dramatically until next year. Good luck resurrecting your plant.
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  7:03:55 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering... I have a 'barbecue' rosemary plant. The lady I bought if from said I might want to cut it back some. How do I do that. It is sort of a topiary type of rosemary, so do I just cut the top off, or do I need to pull some rosemary needles off?

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic My Rosemary plant is looking rather sad Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page