Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 who has a "dangly" charm bracelet?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic who has a "dangly" charm bracelet? Next Topic
Page: of 2

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  9:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you have and old style charm bracelett? Most of them were silver with the charms that dangle? If so...who gave it to you? Describe some of the charms. Do you wear it often, or just on special ocassions?

"learn to watch snails" SARK

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  9:17:22 PM  Show Profile
I have my Grandma's charm bracelet. It is gold, however, and way too small for me to wear.
She was very petite!

Most of the charms are ones she chose herself because she just plain liked them-no special significance, that I know of. Although she has a charm for my brother, sister and myself.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  9:30:13 PM  Show Profile
maybe you could get some links put into it so you can wear it.
I have my mom's. It's silver and she wrote out what each and every charm meant. So when she passed away,and I got it (I think that made my sister a wee bit mad) it was great to have the story of all the charms written in her handwriting. It is chocked full of charms. Not really any space for me to even add any.
So a couple of years ago, my husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told him that I would like my own charm bracelet. So he got me one. He has since purchased 3 charms for it. A heart that says "for my Valentine", a rolled up diploma when I graduated form College a few years ago, and a tea cup.
It is a great thing to have and a great way to start a family traditon. A cute convestation piece as well as my bracelet has started many conversations.

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  9:50:17 PM  Show Profile
My favorite Aunty bought me a charm bracelet for my 6th birthday. It has very delicate silver links and still fits my wrist. I wear it very often. The charms she originally put on are praying hands, a small denominational charm from the Methodist Church-as she was Methodist, a spinning wheel (with a wheel that turns) and a camel (which I picked out). She later added charms with my school colors, a birthstone, "Adorable Ten" for my tenth bithday...things like that. I added an artists pallet, "Hope, Faith & Love charms, two charms for mother's of eagle scouts, a butterfly-for freedom in Christ, a corgi dog, a tiny "prayer box" from my sister, souvenir charms from Hawaii from my Mom...there are more I'm sure, but those are favorites that stand out in my mind.

I find that like Melanie my bracelet has started many conversations...and soothed many wiggly children over the years! How neat that you have your Mom's bracelet Mel! I encourage those who have daughters, nieces, or grandaughters to think about starting a bracelet for them.

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com

Edited by - abbasgurl on May 31 2008 9:52:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  4:25:11 PM  Show Profile
I have one, not really charms, with my weird name spelled out alternately with cultered pearls, in 14K, that an aunt gave me as a child. Bought my daughter one with vintage Catalina Island (SoCal) charms from old/unsold store inventory a year ago that she loves. Especially that I bought it from someone on Catalina, where she spent a lot of her teenage summers. Mother wanted one before she died and my daughter found her one with little photo charms..told her she could put our photos or adopt those photos if she liked them better. I'm thinking Lori probably has it now, haven't seen it.
See them on eBay, that's how I found the one for Lori.
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  5:23:27 PM  Show Profile
My MIL gave me her gold charm bracelet when she got a new one. It has two boy sillouette charms with birthdays on them,my DH and his brother,a round disk with her wedding date on it. My FIL gave it to her many years ago. When my two DD"s were young girls I gave them each a gold charm bracelet for Christmas. Many charms were added through the years and they loved them.By the way, today is our 35th wedding anniversay and maybe I should add our wedding date to a charm and put it on my bracelet!

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

Edited by - mommatracy on Jun 01 2008 5:25:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  5:33:45 PM  Show Profile
I have one that my husband gave me (yellow gold) and between him and the kids (get new ones for special occassions)- I love it! Some of them are; my graduation year, favorite country singer (sawyer Brown), Little girl head and boy from kids, I love you charm, teddy bear, Braves baseball team and heart. Have not rec'd any lately...do you think they forgot?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  9:47:50 PM  Show Profile
I have a very full silver charm bracelet that I got as a gift from an Aunt when I was 12. It has a real variety of charms from then all through high school, births of my kids, charms from states I have visited and hobbies and stuff. I havn't added one in awhile....but I should still keep it up. My oldest daughter loves it and it will be hers someday. I do need to get a little extender thing with more links for me to wear it..my wrists were pretty skinny at 12..not so skinny at 49!! And it is very full of charms. I love the little sewing machine that second son got me, the hula girl my grandma brought back from Hawaii when she visited there when I was 15 and the snowmobile from Minnesota..oh and the little dog bone with my dog Kobuck's name ( a dog I had about 28 years ago!)
I even have a charm that just says the word YES. It was from a friend who was more ..um....likely to say yes... in high school than I was and she thought I needed that..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  05:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Susie, why not mention it? I "remind" hubby when occasions come along that to make his life easier, he could get me a charm for my bracelet as a gift. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does:)

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  06:28:30 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Mae has a really gorgeous one that I was coveting!!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller

http://www.thebodyshopathome.com/web/dcole1
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  07:12:45 AM  Show Profile
I have my mom's from when she was a teenager (so, 1962-1967 or so). It's adorable, and has many jointed charms that move or "do something". It's also VERY noisey and VERY heavy, so I don't wear it that much :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  07:38:31 AM  Show Profile
I had a dear little charm bracelet my sister gave me for Christmas one year. It was silver, and the chain was made up of little heart shaped links. I had two charms for it, a little heart, and one that said 'big sister' in cursive. It simply disappeared one day, found it was missing when I went to look for it to wear it. Haven't seen it since. Noo idea where it could have gotten to, but I'm still hoping I'll find it!!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  09:30:04 AM  Show Profile
SOunds like everyone has some really neat charms. Jodi, that same thing happened to me with my Engagement ring. It just disappeared.

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  09:33:16 AM  Show Profile
I don't have one for myself, but I just made my mom one and she loves hers.

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  10:06:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni YES, they are very noisy to wear! They give a little tinkle every time you move the teeniest bit. I had forgotten that part!

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  11:03:53 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda, I went through a phase where I wanted to wear it all the time around 16 or 17...until I realized it wasn't very good for sneaking in after curfew :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  4:38:03 PM  Show Profile
I find I wear my moms now on special occasions or when I need a good luck charm, such as a job interview.

Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  01:42:22 AM  Show Profile
i have one that i bought myself at a shop that i love, it has new and old things...

lavendar girl
http://lavendarfieldsdreamer.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  4:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Yup...I have one!! My Dear Uncle used to work for Marshall Jewelers in NYC......When I was in either Middle School or maybe High School, he would always send or bring me a charm as a gift for Birthdays, etc. I don't know how many of you might be old enough to remember but Marshall Jewelers was the Big Sponsor of a TV Show called Queen for a Day and they gave each Queen a charm bracelet with charms related to her life. That was about the time I got my charms so I always felt so lucky as the show was a Big Popular TV show at the time. I haven't worn it in years, but now that you guys have refreshed my memory I think I am going to wear it every once in a while!!! Good Memories!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  4:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh Audrey, do wear it and you'd be surprised how many conversations it starts.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  7:42:35 PM  Show Profile
I started a dangly charm bracelet for oldest daughter on her 11th birthday and she loves it too...will be starting one for youngest daughter soon. She LOVES to borrow mine.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  05:58:23 AM  Show Profile
that's a great idea Jenny! It is a great way to start a family traditon and then you are never at a loss for a present!

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  07:20:20 AM  Show Profile
This is so funny, just this morning at breakfast, my daughter was telling me that MY charm bracelet came up in conversation yesterday in her computer class!! Apparently, her friend was wearing one, and my daughter commented that her mom had one, and it has a typewriter charm on it. Apparently this was a real howler, they thought it was so hilarious, a typewriter! How ancient!

I got it for my 15th birthday. I don't wear it now, it's too noisy, but my daughter did wear it once for a Halloween party when she was dressed up like a gypsy. I never thought of it settling children--what a good idea!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  07:51:49 AM  Show Profile
Ooh, it would be so cool if some of you posted pictures of your bracelets... I think I'm going to hint to my bf that a bracelet would be a perfect birthday present.. LOL

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  3:18:07 PM  Show Profile
I bought a charm bracelet for myself a few years ago (always wanted one). I started out buying horse charms and things related ...because I love horses; then added some for my heritage. Some friends and family have given me cowboy type charms and a friend gave me a gun charm when I took shooting lessons. It's fun to wear...definitely a conversation starter!

Vicki

Farmgirl Sister #120
Farmgirls are elegant
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  5:14:57 PM  Show Profile
I will take a picture of mine soon. It is fun to share. My oldest daughter wore mine one time when she had to testify in court at only 10 years old...and it comforted her alot..except it drove the judge crazy with the jingling!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic who has a "dangly" charm bracelet? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page