Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Close the doors and roll down the shades ..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Close the doors and roll down the shades .. Next Topic  

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  2:45:18 PM  Show Profile
I am well aware of the rising price of gas, food, etc. Just like everyone else we have cut back on certain things - but we have not stopped living. Recently while watching the NBC Nightly National news, they had viewers writing in about their Memorial Holiday and how rising prices might have effected it. One viewer wrote that they felt they were a prisoner in their own home, that they could not go anywhere because of rising gas prices. Another wrote we might have to go back to growing our own food and baking our own bread (not a bad idea I think ). Another wrote we will not be taking vacations, we will go to the beach for just the day and not spend the night. Okay, I am sorry but what are these people going to do if prices get higher, crawl in a hole and die! DH and I have not canceled our trip to California. Yes, gas is higher, but the car gets good gas mileage. It is well maintained and works at it's best performance. We rented a place that we can also cook at to save some money on food - we have always done this - high prices or not - just makes sense. We still eat out occasionally and make sure to shop wisely. WE HAVE NOT STOPPED LIVING OUR LIVES! What have these people been doing this whole time before high prices, spending like crazy?! It could be worse, we could spend $25 a gallon like they do in the Netherlands.

Thanks for letting me rant

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  3:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Were these middle aged people? I notice that a lot of people my parents age are freaking over gas prices and recession. I think they heard too many horror stories about the great depression while they were growing up. I keep telling that that no matter what happens we will adapt. Human civilisation has had countless major upheavels over the course of history and we always get on with life and continue to make advances. Sometimes we have to be forced to move forward and growing often hurts.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bertha
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Bertha
St Joseph Mi
USA
234 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  3:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Anne Your uplifting forum really encouraged me Thank you for sharing that Bertha
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  5:18:57 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree with you, Anne! While things are tight here, we have adjusted pretty well. I do all of my errands on one day, making sure that I travel in a circle, ending at my son's place of work at 3:00 so I don't have to make another trip out to get him. We are very fortunate that there are three grocery stores all within a mile of our house, so I can walk if necessary. And some days I do just for the heck of it.
Gosh, imagine having to "grow your own food and make your own bread." Are they cave people? Where do they think their grandparents or parents got their food? Good night above!!
I don't think it will serve anyone any good to hide their heads in the sand. Like you said, careful planning is all it takes.
Count me among those who will still be living life as normally as I possibly can.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  5:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I think part of the problem is we have become an all or nothing society and these are the same people who can't function without someone telling them what to do- they read or listen to all the garbage that is put out there and become paranoid. Sorry to be a little mean, but get a grip. It does stink but you have to dig deep and get on with it!!!

I already have had a little garden for years, was usually careful with money, time, output and I make a budget for eating out, travel, fun stuff. I think its the people who have really been living high on the hog who are hurting the worse. They just can't live without EVERYTHING. That, to me, is the problem.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  5:40:29 PM  Show Profile
Corrine -

I don't think these were older people or people on limited incomes - they sounded pretty middle of the road income and education. I had to laugh at one that said for Memorial Day they could not afford the usual steak and ribs, they had to have burgers and dogs - oh my gosh! I talked to a couple of people at work who said they have burgers and dogs on Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day - don't even consider anything else. One person at work said they had Popeye's Chicken. I just think these were individuals who have never thought of a budget and maybe thought we would always have cheap gas, etc. As I told DH, we as Americans, have had it pretty good for a very long time. Maybe we are now just catching up with the rest of the world where things are not as abundant and you pay the price, not sure.

Heres a thought, maybe the whole Farm girl philosophy and good old know how will be the latest trend.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Amen to that, sister!! :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  8:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Were driving halfway across the country tomorrow! We did borrow my MIL's Camry and are letting her drive our Jeep while we are gone. Gas topped $4.00 today here in Arkansas! But we are still taking our trip too and have two more shorter trip planned later in the summer with no plans to change those eaither!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9392 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9392 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  6:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, gas prices have affected the way we travel but we still go places. My husband's business requires him to go out everyday and yeah it's rough but we cut back on the unnecessaries. I guess those are what would be different to each person. What you can't live with out depends on what you did before the price of everything went up. About the only thing we have changed is how we do our errands and things like that. We shop closer to home now. Which is good for the local businesses really. It is more expensive to shop at the mom and pop stores but at least the money is staying local. Walmart is close and we do still shop there because some things I just can't see paying big bucks for at the small stores (ie; paper goods, and things like that) I work in a card/gift shop and people are still spending money there. It's closer than walmart and I think they want to support small business too. I think it's great if people learned to make their own bread. I do it on a weekly basis. I don't have a garden yet but lots of people started Victory gardens during the wars and they were encouraged to do it. I don't think it ever hurts for us to learn to do more for ourselves. The ones who will yell the loudest are the ones who have never had to do for themselves.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  7:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
As I would tell my sister...the world has become "So dramatic"! On our local news there was a lady SOBBING because she had to pawn her $4000 tennis bracelet for money so they could travel!?!?!? I guess b/c I was raised to live within my "means" I just don't understand her self-indulgence!!! I talked to my mother and she said that she can remember as a child her parents worrying about gas and the economy...then in the 80's she, as a new parent, worried about gas and the economy...something called Regan-omics ...and now that I am a mother I worry....the wisest person I know is my Uncle...he has always told me that History repeats Herself, because people never learn Her lessons...hmmm...

((Ok...Sam is now removing herself from her soapbox...)

Dirt under my nails and weeds in my hair...don't tell me I can't dress up with flair!
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  8:10:04 PM  Show Profile
Did they mentioned the "behind the story" of these people? Maybe they recently lost their job or had a personal life event that has caused them to say "hold it" on spending. You never know unless you are in their shoes. We are extremely tight budgeted right now, more so than ever. We have cut out extra trips, even with vehicles that get good gas mileage. I've been selling stuff because it is stuff we no longer need, but also to get money to save for later on. You never know what life will bring you tomorrow, next week, moreless next year. Even with all the planning in the world, you cannot plan when you might lose a job, when gas & food prices double, when you will have a major medical issue and that blows your budget apart, or anything else. We never spent a lot of money before and I'm always a thrifty one. Now we're having to cut back even more no knowing what the future will hold.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  9:36:19 PM  Show Profile
I think if we have always done budget things as a way of living things will be better, I do feel for people that have lost their jobs, I have a cousin in Flordia that was telling us Sat that they were going to West Va to try and find some work just to pay bills, She owns a 3 story mansion in flordia and her husband is a big building contractor, but now that the housing has gone down they have no work, I assume the big home is not paid for. Our thinking many years ago was to pay for our farm as soon as possible and never put a morgage against it, We have done without many things to do this. Years ago I loved diamonds but if we need to sell them to buy things we need I will do so and not cry a bit. Having a roof over my head and food for my family mean more to me than things . We have had a good life, not rich, but had all we need and more.I suppose in in some peoples eyes we are considered Poor but I dont think that all. Right now I am so glad I was raised poor because I have the knowledge for survival. I am so thankful I had a mother in law that preached hard times and I listened and learned from her. You know farm girls have got it made we will make it

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Close the doors and roll down the shades .. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page