Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Care package advice... Next Topic  

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  5:31:32 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine had a mastectomy today. She is only 35, and has two little ones. We are not super close, but I've known her for years (she used to be my boss). I want to send her a package to help cheer her up. Flowers aren't really her thing, and I don't want to do anything too personal (like the mastectomy pillows) because she has some very close friends who will probably do something along those lines.

I am thinking of two different routes to go--

One is to order something from Edible Arrangements for next week when she gets home. She loves fruit and I know the kids would get all giddy because the arrangements are pretty neat.

The other was to put a book or two, along with a couple of things for her girls, together and send that. I know that when Olivia is happy with something new, it eases my mind a little.

She has a long road ahead, they are going to do both radiation and chemo Has anyone BTDT? Can you help with a good idea or two?

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  7:42:09 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry to hear about your friend. One of my friends is a cancer survivor and another friend is in round 2 of 4 in chemo. They both mentioned that they like flowers...but...they are not allowed to have them due to potential disease, etc. So, something that we did was give them photos of flowers and things in the outside world to bring them in. They had hospital stays that lasted anywhere from a couple of days to a week at times.

Another idea for the family is gift cards for grocery store or even offering to go to the grocery for the family, or even offering to do laundry, mow the yard, etc. Both said that afghans/blankets were a blessing too.

Both mentioned that lotions, perfumes were not a good idea because sometimes it would cause the nausea to come back.

The biggest and most handy gift is just being there for her. Sometimes folks will contact them at different times, but remember to stay in touch and do visit.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys as she is on the road to recovery.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  8:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you know that she will like the books, that would be a care package that I would love- something to take my mind away from what I was going through. And something to keep little hands happy and busy is always a blessing for a mom!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  9:02:32 PM  Show Profile
If you are sending things to read I'd send a copy of MJ's magazine. I was so cheered by the latest magazine. It is such a delight.
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  05:07:29 AM  Show Profile
Jessica, thank you for the advice! That is exactly what I was looking for, because I know there there are some things that just won't work. I am in the middle of an afghan (I usually start them and by the time they are finished, I know who it's for.) and I think that is a wonderful suggestion!

Alee and Lisbeth, I think I will go the book route. MJ's magazine is a great idea too! For the girls, I think I will send these little dolls that Olivia has and loves. They are wooden, with wires rope limbs and removable clothes. Olivia can spend hours taking the clothes off and putting new ones on.

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Care package advice... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page