Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Grill out food--What are your favorites--HELP!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grill out food--What are your favorites--HELP! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  10:38:36 AM  Show Profile
I am helping a (guy) friend with a grill out tomorrow, and he's providing the "grill out" stuff (burgers, hot dogs, mets, buns and condiments) and I'm making all the sides.

To start, I have potato salad with garlic-chive mayo
and there is a special request for my beef curry puffs (which is NOT picnic food, but....folks want them :))...

and then what?

Baked beans, I think...and...

HELP.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  10:53:25 AM  Show Profile
Slaw? Or kraut? I love eairher of those with dogs. Grilled corn salad? Don't have any recipes I'm just throwing out things that come to mind. I know someone who used to make some kind of cold salad that used broken up unseasoned/uncool ramen noodles. Pasta salads with a oil and vinegar dressing some onions, spicy meats and cheese are always good.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  11:16:40 AM  Show Profile
Good ideas...I'm just not much of picnic food maker...I always bring dessert :)....I think I've had the salad/slaw you're talking about with the ramen noodles--maybe I'll hit the recipe czar.
I also have to feed about 30-35, so I'll have to consider my volume.

Thanks!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  11:45:12 AM  Show Profile
When we cook-out for a large group, I make a side dish that my mom always made- grill-roasted potatoes and carrots. Cut 5 lbs. potatoes (I use Russets) and 4 lbs. carrots into like-sized strips, like French fries. Cut a large onion into thin slices. Through the miracle of modern conveniences, I use Reynolds Hot Bags for my vegetables instead of making bags with sheets of foil :). Spray the inside of each of the three bags with cooking spray. Add i/3 each of the potatoes, carrots and onions to each. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then add 3T butter to each one. Fold over the and of the bag several times and pinch well to make sure there are no leaks. The bags are placed directly on the hot coals and should cook in about 20-25 minutes. Turn every 10 minutes to prevent burning. Check for doneness- vegetables should be nicely caramelized and soft, not mushy.
Mmmm. Writing about them makes my mouth water.
What about seven-layer salad? That's an old favorite that was popular in the 80's and early 90's. Here's a link to one:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Seven-Layer-Salad/Detail.aspx
Have fun!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  1:07:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Karin!!! That sure sounds yummy...especially when the onion carmelizes with the butter....mmmmm...I totally forgot about a seven layer salad. I used to eat the heck out of those!!!!

Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  6:06:27 PM  Show Profile
Jonni - my family loves grilled corn on the cob and grilled pineapple slices. Then for a cold side dish there is usually some sort of pasta salad, broccoli salad and deviled eggs.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  6:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Karin - I love the idea of using the Reynolds bags....I always make my own packets, but your way sounds so much easier. Another veggie that I love to use with the potato/onion combo is green and red peppers....mmmmm!

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  6:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Pasta Salad

Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2901 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2901 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  7:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, How about grilled asparagus?? Just plain in foil w/olive oil & salt & pepper.. Or eggplant with olive oil topped with red onion, a decent sliced tomato & mozzarella(& proscuitto or bacon), or a pizza blanco.. just a basic crust recipe, (or use whole wheat tortillas)spread olive oil, add garlic, & top with provolone, mozzarella &/or parmesan, or veggie kabobs, or off the grill, a bean salad with white bean, red onions, peppercorns, dill & cider vinegar, sweetened.. or an eggless salad nicoise, potatoes with green beans, mini corn on the cob pieces with dressing of choice(depending on the heat factor outside)..or cauliflower seasoned with seasoning of choice & grilled directly on grill until brown & somewhat carmelized.. kinda like cauliflower popcorn!
Yummy I am getting hungry & I just ate.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  11:45:10 PM  Show Profile
WOW Lisa,
that all sounds good!!
I didnt know Rhynolds had grilling bags, , What a concept after the girls scouts have cooked like that for years, in foil. ROFL We used to make foil dinners over the camp fire(with a grill) when the kids were little. We would put a hamburger patty and then vegetables all around and on top of meat.They always tasted sooooo good.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grill out food--What are your favorites--HELP! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page