fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  8:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday I was outback taking the laundry off the line and talking to the hens and joyfully watched three of my four boys rolling in mud. They'd been outside all afternoon and were hot and sticky and more than delighted when I suggest they turn the hose on and have a mud wrestle. They played in mud, rubbing it all over themselves for a good hour before it finally got dark and they were chilled. Daddy came out to rig up a makeshift outside shower and got them cleaned up enough to enter the house. Days like that with joy and laughter that comes from honest to goodness playing, fills my heart with joy. Sure they were filthy and yes, that was another load of laundry I'd have to wash (twice) but the boys will have memories to last forever. Memories of their mother suggesting they get dirty and muddy and have some real, boyish fun.
What have you given your children this week, or observed in them, that reflect a time gone by. A time of making do with what you've got and really enjoying it. Share your story!
P~

living a good neighbor life

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  8:05:57 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a story to share right now, but I am sure I will soon. thanks for sharing yours! What a sweet day to be thankful for!
Hugs Jess

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

chellybelly
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Michelle
Knoxville TN
USA
65 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  8:30:26 PM  Show Profile
We spent Sunday at a local park playing in a little spring fed stream. My kids and nephews splashed, played and caught water spiders all day. At one point my daughter painted mud all over her legs and walked around in 'mud boots'. She was cracking me up! That night we lit fire in the fire pit and had s'mores for the second night in a row. The whole time I felt warm and fuzzy knowing that my kiddos were making lasting memories with their cousins. It was a great day!

Michelle

Farmgirl Sister #203

http://theonewhoholdsthebaby.blogspot.com/

Edited by - chellybelly on May 28 2008 8:39:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  10:00:40 PM  Show Profile
I remember playing mudpies with my friend and her little brother. We both went into the house and changed into our Dad's old T=Shirts and proceeded to cover ourselves from head to toe in mud. We walked around the neighborhood and even shook the mailman's hand. (what a good sport) We had a blast.
I don't recall my Mom being mad at how dirty I was after I got home. She still chuckles at it, when we play the "Remember that time..." game.
Thinking of it makes my heart glad.
I am surprised Her Highness hasn't pulled something similar.
The dog on the other hand, takes after me and LOVES mud too. So much so, that I had to re landscape our front yard with mulch to cut down on puppy paws all over the carpet.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  10:16:53 PM  Show Profile
I watched my kids pulling each other around the yard in the red wagon today..and then watched the little one picking flowers out of the cottage garden.
And watched them talking to the duck and chickens.Running and laughing and chatting with each other.
Fun things like that today.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  07:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My boys are now to big.. But back when they were little.. and a HUGE handful. I woke one morning not feeling well, and lost my judgment. Went to go take a "quick" shower, after putting them in front of sesame street....when I came out, they had taken every pan I had and greased and floured it ( they were 3 and 4).. along with my kitchen floors and every surface imaginable.....We spent most of the morning cleaning up... (I had made bread the day before and I suppose they thought they would "help me)... UGH! But I was proud that they "knew how" to grease and flour a pan!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

chellybelly
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Michelle
Knoxville TN
USA
65 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  07:24:04 AM  Show Profile
Rene,
That reminded me of a time when my kids where 3 and 4 and they sprinkled baby powder all over my bathroom. It was the biggest mess I have ever seen. I just wanted to cry. But they had had sooooo much fun getting it everywhere. I think they had as much fun cleaning it up with me as they did making it. Luckliy, they weren't much into getting into stuff they shouldn't and this is the only time I remember such a big mess. Looking back, I just shake my head and smile.

Michelle

Farmgirl Sister #203

http://theonewhoholdsthebaby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  08:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I remember doing the covered head to foot in mud. We had a blast until we had to get hosed down before we could come inside! LOL

The other day I was outside with the dog and Nora. She had so much fun exploring and I just sat back and watched her toddle around. Falling often on the uneven ground but determined to walk through some pine trees and around the neighbor's house. It was so cute! She is so adventurous!

She makes my heart glad every moment I look at her. I can't wait until we can spend some more time at my mom and dad's so she can make her first mud pies!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  11:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Alee, that hose water is cold isn't it??????????

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

sugarwood_naturals
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jackie
Wister Oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  6:46:06 PM  Show Profile
I used the hose method on my kids in the summer when they were little. I even kept a bottle of shampoo by the hydrant. I would take 2 towels out, scrub them head to toe and send them in. Thankfully we lived in the country where you can do that sort of thing.

Good Old Fashioned Lye Soap
http://www.sugarwoodnaturals.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  8:12:55 PM  Show Profile
I totally "get" muddy boys..5 of my 7 kids are boys...including the two oldest. Mine love to have watermelon seed spitting contests, water fights and roll down grassy hills. I love it when my kids get so muddy they have to be hosed off. Yesterday we had a day at the lake and they 4 youngest kids (the ones still at home) all had so much fun in the water and sand...and I sure joined in on one water gun fight...they love that!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Pennypincher
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Linda
NC
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  7:47:03 PM  Show Profile
I love reading these stories, this is how I let my daycare kids play, I bought old clothes from the thrift store for each of them, they know the days that I get out the old clothes it means fun in the mud day!
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  8:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Follow up. How do I get the muddy clothes clean enough for the washing machine? Hose those down too? Ideas???
P~

living a good neighbor life
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Muddy little boys Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page