Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 what is your favorite nonprofit?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic what is your favorite nonprofit? Next Topic  

napafarmhouse1885
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

diane
napa ca
USA
208 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  09:37:52 AM  Show Profile
i just wrote a story on my blog about heifer international one of my favorites. check it out if you do not know of them and their work... www.napafarmhouse1885.blogspot.com which nonprofit groups do you support and are passionate about?

best,
napafarmhouse1885
www.napafarmhouse1885.com

please visit my blog
www.napafarmhouse1885.blogspot.com

farmgirl sister #179

"Whatever you can do or dream, begin it"
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Edited by - napafarmhouse1885 on May 28 2008 09:38:44 AM

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  09:43:17 AM  Show Profile
That's one of my favorites too, they are amazing.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  11:00:34 AM  Show Profile
I contribute to Food for the Poor. I used my donation to purchase several farm animals and food staples for families. I really like that organization.

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my business http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  11:03:58 AM  Show Profile
My favorite non-profit/charity is Sharing and Caring Hands.

www.sharingandcaringhands.org

The lady that runs it is so sincere, loving, compassionate, inspiring, and sweet.
It is a homeless shelter that also provides a multitude of services.
She runs the whole operation entirely on private donations.

The quote in my signature is from her.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on May 28 2008 9:44:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  11:20:06 AM  Show Profile
I am a seamstress for Heavenly Angels in Need. Mary and Pauline are on MJ, that's where I actually found about it. It's a wonderful group that makes things for babies. My "job" is to take donated wedding gowns and remake them into burial garments for micro-preemie to newborns who are "born sleeping." Volunteers crochets, knit, sew,etc. It's pretty awesome. One of the things I appreciate the most is that it supports local communities. I also fundraise for the Luekemia Lymphoma Society in conjunction with the Firefighter Stairclimb and then for general cancer needs for Relay for Life.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  1:09:23 PM  Show Profile
I support the Hamilton County Animal Shelter (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Bad Rap Pit Bull Rescue, in San Francisco. Those are my favorite animal non-profits.

Locally, I also support Be Concerned, which is a wonderful program that helps low income families by having a "shopping" day with all new, donated goods available in "stations" like a department store. I've worked it many times, and it's so rewarding....it's not a handout--the families will pay $10.00 to participate (and receive about $400 worth of food, clothing and household items), so they actually feel like contributing members of society.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

napafarmhouse1885
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

diane
napa ca
USA
208 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  8:53:11 PM  Show Profile
i love learning about the less famous non-profits..please keep sharing the stories..and if you get a chance, i would really appreciate any comments on this subject left on my blog..thank you!

best,
napafarmhouse1885
www.napafarmhouse1885.com

please visit my blog
www.napafarmhouse1885.blogspot.com

farmgirl sister #179

"Whatever you can do or dream, begin it"
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Claudelle
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Karla
Corbett Oregon
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  09:00:22 AM  Show Profile
I recently became involved in Heifer International when my cousin became the volounteer coordinator for our area. It is an absolutely amazing charity with projects in the United States and all over the world.
Besides Heifer, I also am very passionate about the charities that travel overseas to provide free plastic & reconstructive surgery for children born with cleft palates. I was born with a cleft palate and though fortunate to have dedicated parents, an amazingly talented plastic surgeon, there have been challenges. I cannot even begin to imagine not having access to the medical care that I required. These children often go years without surgical repair of their cleft which causes speech impairment, orthodontic abnormalities, difficulty swallowing, and of course there are the social issues as well. I have not yet found an exact charity to pledge my support for this cause but have been searching.
Locally, I have just found a charity called Pawsitively Pit Bulls that I am excited about. They run a non profit shelter, educate the public about the breed, and overall support positive and responsible ownership of this amazingly loyal breed by battling breed specific legislation with empowering knowledge and advocacy. I love my pit bull Leila, but 100% agree that this breed has been exploited and irresponsibly bred so I love that there are charities that support a solution to these problems.

Ok, so I've typed an essay here. I didn't mean to, I feel very strongly about showing compassion for all of our neighbors! Finding the charities that support causes you are passionate about makes all the difference! =)

Karla
Farmgirl Sister #171
Free Tibet!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic what is your favorite nonprofit? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page