True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  07:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

Dovetailing from Heather's post about being fed up with food, I thought I would bring up the topic of "Slow Food"

Did you know there are several organizations that are devoted to the Slow Food Movement?

http://www.slowfood.com/
http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.html

Growing up we rarely ate anything that would be considered fast food. We occasionally got a treat at A&W, but I remember my mom coming home from work to cook dinner. We all shared the chore, though I know, looking back, my mom did the vast majority of cooking. But we all learned how to handle a knife and could chop carrots or celery. We always had some form of fruit and some form of vegetable in addition to the veggies that went into our food.

I always thought my mom was a great cook and I loved eating at home. Occasionally she would cook something that wasn't to my taste, but we were expected to eat with the family. I am really looking forward to letting Nora mix the meatloaf, roll out her own dough, knead dough and other fun things that I remember doing with my mom.

Cooking with my mom also gave us time to talk and catch up on the day. Plus, helping with the cooking was better than doing the dishes!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  08:13:11 AM  Show Profile
so true!
My 15 year old daughter is able to bake, cook from scratch, and make some very special, gourmet things. She watched me, helped me, then passed me up with more and better skills!
How many 15 year old girls can get up in the morning and grind grain, then make filled crepes with it for a special breakfast? She does this for most of our birthdays in the family.

Now, we eat slow food, but we also try to live slow- so she also knows how to sew, crotchet, knit, embroider, write poetry, train horses, etc. because she has the TIME. Going slowly through this life has challenges, but also a whole lotta benefits *U*

Dalyn

Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee,
I am so glad you posted this link, it is one of my favorites!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  04:32:14 AM  Show Profile
Sadly, though, the Slow Food chapter that I contacted was just a bunch of snobs who looked at eating at expensive restaurants as an ideological act. The girl on the phone got very snotty when I asked about cooking classes.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  06:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh that's not good!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  08:39:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the links Alee.

Yep from what I've read and heard Slow Food started out in opposition to a McD's that was opening in Rome in the 1980's. Apparently it has gotten a little 'exclusive' over the years though, which is too bad. My step-brother is a chef in Toronto and has been invited to Milan as part of the Canadian contingent for this year's annual Slow Food Fest. I'll let you know what he thinks of it all when he gets back. Sounds like it'll be a great time though!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  6:39:34 PM  Show Profile
I like the idea of slow food but it seems like there is always that possibility of a good idea getting turned into something else - wish it wasn't so. What would our grandma's all think about an organization dedicated to cooking the way they had to? LOL!!
Seriously though I can't think of any more worthwhile activity to slow down and take time with
Amy Grace
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  7:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Perhaps we should ignore the established Slow Food organizations and focus on one Farmgirl style!
I love slow food, I often make more than is needed so I will freeze some for meals later in the month! It's a great way for those who don't have time every day to still have homemade. If you can spend one after noon a week making large amounts of food to freeze then you can have every other evening open!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  7:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirl slowfood - I love it!! After all that is what all that canning and preserving is!! I try to freeze stuff like zucchini soup and zucchini dishes that I only make during the summer so I have that taste of homegrown/homemade in the winter too
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Slow Food! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page