Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  4:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Other than the fact that they serve bottom-of-the-barrel meat, have nasty chemicals added in to make foods taste "right" and generally cause poor health- now they are trying to convince us that eating fast food is "natural".

In their latest campaign they have several college aged kids saying "Times are changing, our tastes are changing- and now for breakfast..." then showing the kids holding a McDonald's Chicken sandwich.

Ugh. I'm sorry, but my tastes are _not_ changing to want to have McDonald's for breakfast! What a lousy way to start your day! I have been there and done that and I can tell you I never felt good on those days.

If anything, my tastes are changing _away_ from that type of thing and I want good wholesome food.

So if you are with me- boycott McDonalds. Do not let them have a single penny more of our hard earned money. Our money should be going towards buying Real Food not fluff and chemicals.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  4:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
You have to remember that a lot of kids (I consider this to be 18 and under as of right now) have grown up with this mentality. I don't even bother with McDonalds even if I am desperate for food. I rather go to the truck stop. : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  4:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- I know and that is what truly scares me! Obesity is on the rise, as is heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc etc. And in what groups have we seen the highest jumps % wise in the past decade? The 30 and below group. It's so scary when you look at the data to realize "Why is this happening, and why is it happening to these groups?"

When I was little we had one fast food place in town, then two. Then after a little while we had three and then the fourth moved in. It used to be a HUGE treat to go get an A&W Hamburger, fries and ice cream. Now kids have it everyday for their lunch break from the High School.

I know McDonald's is only trying to make a buck. I understand that completely, but I sincerely believe that we have too many of these businesses and everyone needs to remember the rules of moderation. Plus I think it is wrong to try and convince people to eat at their restaurant when studies have proven that eating fast food more than a few times a month (some health professionals say a few times a year!!) can and does put your health in jeopardy. I think it wouldn't be amiss if there was an advertising ban on fast food just like there is on cigarettes! Now wouldn't that be a kick?!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  4:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I remember(yes, time to sound old) that I only got fast food 2 times a year. Can you imagine? We had it once in the summer after we got the HUGE garden planted (as a treat) and once during our Spring break. I think we are so heading in the wrong way in terms of what we eat. They are pushing good for you food prices through the roof and people have no choice. Now, I wa a fast food junkie when I first joined the military as I live in the barracks and 39 cents hamburgers were fantastic for the budget. But then I learn I could eat other things, make other choices. I hate to think what I did to my internal organs. YIKES!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  4:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
I have to tell you....I Never eat at any of the Junk Food Places!! Used to YEARS ago when our son was a little guy but GOSH we are so much smarter now about all that stuff! I suppose if I still had a little one around I might be tempted for their sake....ok I would be more tempted to do it for their sake ONCE in a WHILE....but I would much prefer to stop at lots of other little places and have a healthy kind of lunch/dinner. I really like Veggie Burgers and lots of places have that kind of thing. Luckily our son wasn't to exposed to all the junk food stuff without also being exposed to all the good nurtritious stuff because he is a Very healthy eater now.....We all love fresh vegetables and good healthy food!

Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  6:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Wow, how interesting. I live in the city...don't have a garden or live on a farm. There are farms with fresh roadside places to get veggies that are seasonal spring thru summer and from a few miles to several miles away. My only excuse is convenience to the grocery store a couple miles away.
I love the way McDonalds when I'm in the mood, including breakfast. The Big Breakfast has real eggs and buscuits like homemade. Danny boy gets happy meals more for the toy than anything, I get them 2 or three times a month on paydays.

I work for Ronald McDonald House that provides a home away from home to parents of children hospitalized, first priority being to newborns who are too sick to come home with parents. We have a full kitchen all the food they want, room and bath of their own and everything a person would want in the rest of the house. Without McDonalds this would not be possible and these parents of sick children would have no place to stay unless they could afford a hotel. Sometimes parents stay for months until the baby is ready to go home with them. Sometimes a family member wants to just come for a nap....or a shower. There is no charge any of this. We provide caring staff and volunteers who are around to chat, emotional support and help in all ways to make it a home atmosphere. I just had to say this.
I sincerely hope that the food gets healthier. I have bought salads there that show they are trying to be more healthy. Children can get apples instead of fries and milk or juice instead of soda. Anyway, I guess I have said enough.
luv ya gals,
Linda

"NEVER underestimate the power of a woman."
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  6:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Linda-

That is a good point. The Ronald McDonald houses are a very good charity and their work should not go unnoticed. I guess my qualm is with commercials telling kids that it is okay to get a deep fried chicken sandwich for breakfast and that it is okay that our "tastes" are changing to accept fast food every day.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  6:57:02 PM  Show Profile
I didn't even think about Ronald McDonald House, which is truly a wonderful thing.

What I always think about is sitting in a meeting once with a rancher who was telling me about the McDonalds reps at the stockyards bidding on all the nastiest cattle, the ones with diseases that nobody else would touch. *shudder* And using eggs from chickens that are crammed in battery cages, it's cruel. It makes me think twice about eating eggs in restaurants, ever.

So, maybe a salad, and maybe at Subway i'll spring for the apples and yogurt, but no more McBurgers or Egg McAnything for me until policies are changed. And that goes for all the fast food restaurants.

I'm not a vegetarian, I don't even consider myself a softie, but I can't go for that.

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  7:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
My grocery stores sell some "free range" chickens eggs. I guess that would be the way to go for me as far as eggs. In cases like that I will pay more. The cheapest is not always the way to go.

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  7:20:45 PM  Show Profile
I haven't patronized many fast food restaurants recently partly due to logistics, we live 30 miles from the closest outlet, and partly out of belief. After reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and The Omnivore's Dilemma I am really struggling with even consuming supermarket beef. There is something seriously wrong with the way food is grown/marketed/consumed in this country. However I do have a teenage son and I know that the best way to encourage him to do the right thing is to let him make informed choices so, on the rare occasion that we are all in the city together we go for fast food. Maybe once every 3 months. He is just as happy at the locally owned NY style pizza place though

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on May 22 2008 7:21:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  7:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Yep. I always try to buy free range first, local second, preferably free range AND local but that's hard to pull off if you're not at the farmer's market - and then if I'm desperate I'll get the regular eggs. But I always feel bad about it.

Maybe I need to put my money where my mouth is and stop buying commercial eggs altogether, now that I know how bad it REALLY is.

And Alee I agree with you about the marketing and the scary way that being overweight has become socially acceptable in children.

When I was in college at Miami of Ohio, you did NOT see chubby girls. Maybe one out of a big group of chicks. It just wasn't acceptable. I went back a few years ago for some reunion thing and EVERYBODY was overweight. This from the school that used to be the anorexia capitol of the Midwest. I was shocked. Good Lord, there has to be a balance between the two extremes. Between the completely BONY celebs on one hand and the "eat fried chicken for breakfast" on the hand, we're going to **** in a handbasket.

I'm always encouraged when the farmer's markets and whole foods stores are busy and full of shoppers.

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  7:22:52 PM  Show Profile
Amanda I know exactly what you mean - it seems like there is no moderation anymore. I don't think most people even know how to eat normally, or if there is a "normal" way to eat these days,
I guess I should add that if we do go for fast food we go to a locally owned chain. I really believe in shopping and spending locally

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on May 22 2008 7:24:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  7:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace, that is a good point. Thanks for bringing that up. I agree!

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  7:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Golden State Foods is the largest purchaser of cow eyes in the US, they are who supplies McDonalds with their beef.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  7:58:57 PM  Show Profile
eeewwww!!!!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  8:02:27 PM  Show Profile
ok, I give....what does Golden State do w/the Cow Eyes?..or do I want to know????

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
www.katmom44.blinkz.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  8:04:05 PM  Show Profile
I've been on this band wagon for about 8 years. In fact, when I became a vegetarian, I stopped eating fast food...because, well, what were your options? Once out of the habit, you just get out of the habit. Even though I eat meat again, I eat responsible meat from local producers that I know.

Good for you, Alee for bringing it up...no matter how advertisers sell it, it's still just crap.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  9:56:23 PM  Show Profile
Cow eyes? Ewwwww. That's enough for me to say good bye to the golden arches. I'm sure its even worse than that though, huh?

Farmgirl Sister #138
http://www.LilBitCrunchy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  03:29:43 AM  Show Profile
I also support the Ronald McDonald House by collecting those pop tabs off cans of soda and beer. Those tabs are a more pure form of aluminum and are actually airline grade.

So boycott the crappy food (I do love their shakes though) and continue to support the cause for terminally ill children
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  04:42:43 AM  Show Profile
Cow eyes? Please explain what cow eyes are used for. This I need to know.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  05:57:18 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'll fess up and say that we go there every few weeks for an ice cream cone because they are low fat.

But, given the way McD's has contributed to the huge changes in food production, the non-recyclable overpackaging, the lack of nutrition (real food spoils), etc...we limit our stops to the occasional cones.

I donate to the Ronald McDonald house every year, though. It is a lifesaver for us when Olivis is hospitalized--we can actually get a shower!

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  07:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone remember the documentary "Supersize me" where a man ate McDonald's for a month and did nothing for exercise? His health really deteriorated.

I guess it's one of those "everything in moderation" things. I remember being taken to McDonald's for a treat when I was a child, but it only happened about twice a year.

They do seem to be trying to improve the menu, though, with salads.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  08:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lori- I think about that documentary every time I drive past a McDonald's. Scary!! I know a lot of people say "Yes but people don't really do that!" But they do! Every day!

I used to work for a survey company and we did KFC surveys. In the documentary they mention the team "Heavy users" that is exactly what this survey classified people into depending on use. It was scary how many "heavy users" of KFC were on the lists we called! We are talking over 30%. That's a lot of KFC!

I love biting into a nice fresh salad, homemade bread, homemade anything! And while I do fall victim to fast food occasionally- I must say it doesn't happen very often at all!

The only fast food place that I would ever consider being a "Heavy User" of would be Taco Johns. I worked at a Taco Johns for over 2 years. I know the industry and their demand of quality. Even still, there are good things and bad things on the Taco Johns menu. If I were to say- eat a Super Burrito every day- I am sure I would be in size 42 pants soon enough. However, their Chicken Fajita strips are pure grilled chicken with spices, and their beans have no fat added. Just pressure cooked with water and spices.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  08:41:40 AM  Show Profile
The rumor that they use nasty beef is nothing but that. They contract for the best, and the burgers are 86% lean. They use all the cuts; the steaks and roasts, not just the leftover junk. It's not ground; it's chipped while frozen to retain the juiciness and texture.

The chickens are from what the industry now considers "free range;" they live in large sheds and roam at will. The cattle are slaughtered under the most humane conditions in the industry, as are the chickens. Their slaughter procedures were completely redone almost a decade ago under the guidance of Dr Temple Grandin. She is very well known because as an autistic, she is able to see things from a very different point of view than most people. Google her. She's a remarkable human being.

OF COURSE if you're the world's largest outlet for beef, you're going to be the world's largest source for eyeballs available for sale for schools and labs. What do you think they'd do, put them in the burgers? Or should they breed eyeless cattle?

This sort of bandwagon mentality based on myths and rumors is largely why the rest of the world chalks us up as nut jobs and then disregards what we say. Please, be careful when choosing your arguments. Check out your facts.

You cannot expect McDonald's, or any other commercial enterprise in this country, to offer things for sale that the public does not buy. They are not a charity. If you don't like something they offer, don't buy it. If you want more things like salads with edaname, buy those. Vote with your dollars.

I promise you, if demand was strong enough, every McDonald's across the nation would offer tofu burgers. They're in business. They offer what sells. They DON'T offer what doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  08:58:24 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, I've met Temple Grandin and know very well of her studies and influence on our food sources.

I don't know about subpar products or anything else...never needed to know about that aspect. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that I get fat and feel lousy when I eat fast food--so I just don't. Being a ballerina, and then a vegetarian "fine tunes" your food intake so to speak.

I choose to eat meat from a responsible source locally because it helps local producers and I know it isn't trucked all over tarnation---not because I'm afraid of cow eyes.

When I was small, the rumor about McDonalds was they used ground worm in their burgers....My dad chose to believe that :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4241 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4241 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  09:29:44 AM  Show Profile
My son works at McDonalds. Not that I promote eating there, but I have been surprised. They have a McScholars program for the people. The workers can save 50 cents an hour from their paycheck, and McDonalds will match it, to be used for furthing their education. I was impressed with that. Also they have been very understanding with the tragedy that has happened in our town, and given him many days off. So they do take care of their employees.

Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Boycotting McDonalds Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page