Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Consumer Groups Get Investigation Launched
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Consumer Groups Get Investigation Launched Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  3:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The Organic Consumers Association (OCA) filed a letter with USDA this week supporting a legal complaint that calls for an investigation of the two factory farms that the Horizon organic dairy company manages and sources for a significant portion of their "organic" dairy products. As discussed in previous issues of Organic Bytes, since 2006, the OCA has called for a boycott of Horizon's (Dean Foods) dairy products, due to the corporation's practice of packing as many as 8,000 cattle onto feedlots, with little or no access to pasture, and then misleadingly labeling these products as "organic". OCA's ally, The Cornucopia Institute has filed several legal complaints with the USDA, demanding an investigation of the factory farms, but such requests have, thus far, fallen on deaf ears. Serving as a representative for our 850,000 members, volunteers and subscribers, the OCA is putting heat on the USDA to investigate and sanction the Horizon factory farms.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  07:52:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh...my...goodness. I did not know that about Horizon Organic farms!!! I occasionally purchase their products since they're often the only organic option at grocery stores, but I won't be doing that any longer...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  08:04:35 AM  Show Profile
Rats. I have a gallon of their milk in my 'frige. Well, no more buying their milk until this gets cleared up. Thanks, Alee. you are always on top of things!! :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  08:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I can't take too much credit- I signed up for the Organic Consumer Association's newsletter. It is always packed full of enlightening things and letter writing campaigns. It's a great way to stay updated without having to do a bunch of research on your own time! :D

http://www.organicconsumers.org/

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  08:32:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm on the OCA e-letter list too, it's really enlightening and presented in an easy-to-digest format. BTW, page 185 of the Ideabook listed some organic companies that had been bought out by larger corporations - Horizon Organic was listed along with several others. And I used and loved Burt's Bees - everything - for years, but will not buy their products anymore since they were bought by Clorox last year, so when my current pre-Clorox stash is gone I'll be searching for another line.

The corporate sneakiness of trying to get through loopholes to smack on the organic label for marketing purposes ticks me off in general.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  09:47:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh thanks Alee!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

NikkiSAllen
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Nikki
Aurora IN
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  4:37:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link, Alee!
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  7:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Why do I find this stuff out after I've already went hog wild over the products???GRRRRR! I was so happy to find "Organic" dairy products in my store here. I was even more excited to find "Organic Lactose-Free" milk, so I bought plenty to freeze. (My DD is intolerant). Who are we to believe?

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  8:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would say that if Horizon is your only organic choice- it is better than the other conventional milk, but if you have a choice- try Organic Valley or Strauss

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Consumer Groups Get Investigation Launched Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page