mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  06:58:46 AM  Show Profile
My old doxie is dying. He is 15, and about 5 days ago, he started to stumble and fall over. He's been blind for awhile, and can barely hear. On Friday, he quit eating and I had to force spoons of water in his mouth. My husband says I should take him to be put down, but I've never done this to a pet before. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, just lies on his blanket and sleeps all day. When he has to pee, he whines and I take him out and he goes. He drank some water today but still hasn't eaten. I'm torn between letting him go naturally because I really don't think he's in any pain, or taking him in. What have been your experiences with this?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Edited by - mikesgirl on May 19 2008 7:57:09 PM

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  07:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Oh Sherri I am so sorry. I had to put my pup down about 5 years ago. I think it is the humane thing to do, personally. I couldnt see letting her suffer any longer.
I will be thinking of you today.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

www.justanotherhousewife.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  07:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh...I'm terribly sorry. I had to make the decision for my Lilly at 14, but she was in terrible pain and it was very evident. Even then, I must have cancelled that appointment 3 times before my husband gave me the courage to keep it.

It sounds like he is ready to go, and might very well do it on his own, but I was told by my vet that animals who are truly loved fight to stay with their beloved owners.

Whatever you decide, I'm thinking of you and your little pup.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  08:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm so sorry, Sherri. This is such a hard time. One thing my dh says you might watch is the color of his gums. If they are pink and you press on them and they turn white under your thumb and then pink again, he's still okay. But if they are white, then he is in shock(blood is not circulating). He is still drinking water.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on May 19 2008 08:01:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  08:48:48 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, I understand what you are going through. When i had to put my best friend at the time down. i was so selfish...I didnt want to let her go. The vet said she would let me know when it was time. I had to put her up on pillows so she could breath. she had congestive heart failure. One night I made a place on the floor for her and I. It hurt her for me to pick her up to put her on the bed. She laid her head on my shoulder and looked at me...I started to cry and she licked my face. I knew then it was time. I think when we have a pet that has been with us and through alot with us and loves us unconditionally we dont want that love to go away. That is what pets do for us. But I have read that they are the first ones that welcome us when we leave this earth.

Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  08:55:56 AM  Show Profile
Deborah - your post made me sob like a baby. Thank you all for your kind words. Janice - I am going to go check his gums now - I didn't know about that. Again, thank you all.

Farmgirl Sister #98
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  11:32:31 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, I'm sorry. What's happening with your dog sounds like the way my old family cat passed away. I had just moved out of state after college when she started to decline, so I wasn't there and I still feel so bad for being gone. She was always my cat more than anyone else's. What my parents told me is that she just slept on the couch all day long. When they tried to move her upstairs to a quiet place away from all the kids and commotion, she would cry up there until they carried her back to the living room. She seemed happier knowing that the family was around her. She was sick for about 3 weeks altogether. My folks took her to the vet early on and they were told that her organs were failing from old age. They never took her back to be put to sleep because going anywhere in the car was always so traumatic and scary for her. It seemed kinder to just let her be, since she didn't appear to be in pain. I don't know if there's really a better rule of thumb than that. I'll be thinking of you and your doxie.
Go to Top of Page

Farm Girl 2
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Becky
Willis VA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  3:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Sherry,

I am so sorry that you are having to face this with your pet. We just went thru this same thing a little over a month ago when we had to put down dh's prized 14 yo coon hound. Her name was Tiger and she has been here for 14 years and was part of the family. My dh is a big ole brut but when it came to Tiger getting old he couldn't stand the thoughts of it.

She also had gotten to where she could only hobble on one front foot and the opposite back foot for 2 days and he asked me to take her to the vet while he was at work. The vet is the sweetest lady and she said I can't believe he is making you do the dirty work but please tell him he has made the right choice and not to ever look back differently. He felt better after hearing what she said but it was still a really hard time around this place for about a week.

On the way home from the vets I called him and said "We are now even. You have to forget about all the things that I have asked you to do for me in our 31 year marriage because this was harder than anything I have ever asked you to do." He agreed that the slate was now clean!!

About a week later he got a sympathy card from the vet and her husband and he cried and said "Now I know I did the right thing."

I'll say a prayer for you!!
Hugs,
Becky

Loving Living Simply!
http://sunnymorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  5:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Sherri, I am sorry I made you cry...It wasnt my intent. please forgive me. I love animals very much. And I read how much you loved yours.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  7:15:56 PM  Show Profile
I've been through this twice and it isn't easy, but it's the right thing to do. When you know it's something that isn't going to get better, you have to think about their quality of life and how you would feel in their position. It's a wonderful gift to give a great friend and believe me, when it's time, you will know it. I also believe they know it too and the look of relief and gratefulness in their eyes will give you much comfort. I worked at a nursing home for several years, so I'm no stranger to suffering- it's nice for the animals to not have to go through it. Kind of strange that people have to suffer so much, but that's a different topic alltogether. Anyway, if you take him in, you and he will know that you were together at the end and you can be there to say goodbye and to pet him as he passes. It still makes me cry, but I feel better knowing I was with my girls until the very end and that my voice was the last thing they heard and me petting them was the last thing they felt.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  7:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Sherri it is one of the hardest decisions to make but they cannot tell us when they are in pain, we have to use our best judgement even though it hurts us deeply. It is the quality of life that counts most, not the quantity. It is time to let him go - you will be there with him and they go peacefully. I have lost three of my beloved dogs in the past year, my last one my 4 yr old corgi to cancer, and I knew it was the right thing to do. Be strong. Hugs to you in your pain.
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  06:47:42 AM  Show Profile
This decision is never an easy one at all.

Look at your dog's quality of life

Sometimes we let them linger just to make ourselves feel better

I made the decision to euthanize my cat. It was hard, but I knew it was time. It's one of the more peaceful ways to go.

and trust me, after loosing my dog a few years ago to being hit by a vehicle (not peaceful at all!) the option to euthanize lets you say good by on your own terms

(((((Hugs from NC)))))
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm - I updated this post last night and my update's not on here - interesting. Well, the update was that I went ahead and took him in. It wasn't a smooth procedure. He was so dehydrated that they attempted to inject in one leg, then the other and he popped a vein in each leg due to the dehydration, so they had to inject directly into his heart. The vet wouldn't let me be there for that so I had to say my goodbyes and they took him into another room and brought him back after he passed. My wonderful DIL was with me and took charge, drivinga a basket case me and the box containing his body to her house until she felt like I could drive safely.

In my last post that disappeared, I also thanked everyone for their kind words - it helped more than you could ever know. I actually made my decision to call after reading your posts. Deborah I also wanted you to know that it wasn't bad tears - don't feel bad about your post. They were good tears - the last line of your post was the most wondeful - it really helped me.
Once again, thank you all so much. I know he's chasing cows this morning, (his favorite thing to do) and running across that heavenly pasture like he hasn't moved in years.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  08:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- I am so sorry that your friend is gone. This is always the hardest part of the loving friendship that we have with them. Please know I am sending love your way.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  11:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hugs and condolences to you, Sherri. And a very special hug and kiss to your very special DIL. She's sure a keeper - right there with strength and a shoulder when you needed her.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  12:04:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, Sherri. Glad he's in a better place though.
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  3:45:11 PM  Show Profile
Sherrie, I too have had to do this, and I still agonize over the decisions, but there was really nothing else to be done...I just think that in hindsight...could I have done more for them? You have, I am sure, seen the email going around about the family who had to put their beloved dog down, and the little girl said she knew why dogs didn't live as long as people. The vet looked at her a little surprised and asked why. She replied that people stay on earth longer because they have to learn how to love all people, and dogs already know that so they don't have to stay as long...or something like that. Isn't that sweet? And how true for our beloved fur friends. Hugs to you all, and us all, who have lost our buddies.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  6:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Any time we fall in love with one of God's creatures we are blessed with so much unconditional love! But the one thing we forget is that they are here for only a little while. I think that's why he packs so much of that love into furry things of ALL shapes and sizes! It's up to us to love them enough back to see that they do not suffer or want for any of the simple comforts in life. You did the right thing Sherrie, as hard as it was. Look back only on the fond memories and not the loss. Your little friend is free of the pain of old age, but he's got good memories of YOU too! God bless, and lots of hugs to you ~~ Tracy
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  07:32:23 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, I'm so sorry to hear about this. *Hug*

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  12:00:52 PM  Show Profile
again,,,,,,,so sorry but he is no longer suffering

I still tear up thinking about my pets and still have the ashes form that cat.

More hugs

we are thinking of you and your beloved friend

Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  5:00:31 PM  Show Profile
So sorry, it's incredibly hard to say goodbye to our friends.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Euthanize? - Updated - Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page