Page: of 2

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  10:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Well.... I just finished making 6 Sock Monkeys.....One for my great niece, 3 great nephews and two friends of my sons whose wives are having babies! I made the cutest girl sock monkey for my great niece and one dressed like a Boston Celtics Basketball player for one going to one of my sons friends cause they are Big Fans!!! My son thinks they are the greatest gifts cause he loved his when he was a little guy!! I'll try to post some pictures in the next couple of days............ if >>>>>I can figure out how to post pictures!!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  06:19:41 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to see them Audrey...my mom is a HUGE sock monkey fan :) She's even been to the museum in Rockford, where they originated.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  07:01:55 AM  Show Profile
My grandma used to make sock monkeys all of the time! They were adorable - and she was so crafty. I got my gardening genes from her - but not the sock monkey gene :)!

Isn't it fun that it is a simple, handmade item that is still popular thru all of these years!

Post photos when you can.

Ann
Forrester Farm
http://picasaweb.google.com/FORRESTERFARM/FORRESTERFARMWEDDINGS
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  07:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Does anyone have a pattern? I would love to make one for my son.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  07:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
http://lennytaylor.freeyellow.com/Monkey.htm

Just found one!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  07:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Heather,

Have fun making one!! Let me know how it turns out!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  07:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks!! I am trying to do more homemade toys for Charlie, since half the plastic stuff he never plays with it anywho. Where do you buy you socks?

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  08:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
I am so glad you are interested in doing one for your son......Any toy that has been around since the early 1900's is definately something I feel we should all really appreciate......I know I do ofcourse!!!! As soon as I can I will have some pictures up of mine that I am willing to part with :)....Some that can be adopted!......When I do allow them to go out my door I use the name ........ Back Home Again...... because I really feel all of us have a little nostalgia for these little simple loveable toys!!! I've even made some look really old for some adults who want to display them and not play with them!!!!Each has it's own little personality and each brings back a memory to most everyone!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  08:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Audrey,
I would love to see a picture of your sock monkeys, too! I made each of my kids one when they were little. It's nice to see how popular they are again! I love it when the old, tried & true comes back into "fashion" again. I still have my original Raggedy Anne pattern. I made a lot of those way back when... I still hope someday I will get back to doll making.

Cathy (okiequilter)

www.AuntDaisysCottage.blogspot.com

A friend loves at all times.
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  09:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Ohhhhh Cathy,

It is such fun to make things that the little ones can play with....pass on to family and have wonderful memories attached! I have made all kinds of dolls/toys over the years and somehow I just keep going back to the ones that can be loved by little ones! I really get the most satisfaction out of that. It is such fun when my son's friends, who seem to all be having their own little ones now, react to sock monkeys.....At the baby shower where we gave the sock monkey that was a Boston Celtic their were screams of excitement..... and all the "grown up kids" that were there were all talking about their sock monkeys they had as kids.....some said "oooohhhhhh I wonder if my mothers saved mine" or "I wish I had saved mine" or some that said "I still have mine!!!" ....... it was such fun!!!! I love giving handmade toys that kids enjoy as well as the adults!!! I usually give them as gifts but...... I used to let more go out for adoption when I had my primitive antique business many years ago......... I am now starting to get back into letting some go for "adoption"!! I have to get busy sewing as the last 6 I made were for gifts and are all gone but I have pictures and as I said I am gonna try to get the pictures up to share!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  09:31:22 AM  Show Profile
My hubby was born in Rockford, and he grew up with his favorite "Socko". I had one, too.....even though I was in Springfield. They are classic! We even have a little sock monkey tree ornament at Christmas, in honor of Socko! So neat to know that Sockos live on with a new generation of kids. It is great that you are making them!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  09:41:18 AM  Show Profile
WE have a couple sock monkeys around here and they are very well loved. I have never made one but I think it would be fun...I may just get to that this year. The one my husband has is named Raymond...because...everyone loves Raymond.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  09:43:35 AM  Show Profile
Shirley Jean! My mother's sister has lived in Rockford since graduation 1965. She still lives there--my mom also has one of those little ornaments :), and Aunt Sharon also bought her sock monkey pj's!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  2:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
does someone have another link to directions? I saved the one we got and still confused...need very simple directions.
I'm inspired and want to make some!

Linda

"NEVER underestimate the power of a woman."
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  3:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Linda....just sort of dive in and give it a try! Some of it is just using your inner imagination and creativity as to how you want yours to turn out. There is really no right or wrong!! Iv'e been making them for so many years I don't even want to print how many!!!!......... so, I have come up with some of my own techniques :)! Are you making it for you or for a little one? If it is for you just have fun! See what you end up with! I will post some pictures of some of mine sooooooooon!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  3:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
great! thanks, Audrey, I look forward to seeing yours! I will make for me and for Danny boy. Sometimes he plays with something new for at least a few days...then I'll put it on display.

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  3:38:58 PM  Show Profile
Jonni - that is neat! My father-in-law now lives in Cherry Valley (right outside Rockford), he was born there. My hubby grew up on Macarthur Drive. We still go back and visit!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  4:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1104

I found this....it's just what I needed! Complete instructions with pics of all the steps.

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA

Edited by - yarnmamma on May 16 2008 4:03:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  5:15:51 PM  Show Profile
Linda, These are the best directions. I'm inspired!
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  5:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
I am glad I got the juices going on the Ole Sock Monkey!!! Let me know how it goes and If ya need help....Just give a Holler! You are welcome to email me about it also! Good Luck....Have Fun!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  5:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
let's go for it! make some and post a pic here!

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  9:19:44 PM  Show Profile
I just love sock monkeys! I remember my cousin had one that I always played with when I went to his home. I can hardly wait to check out that link and make some for my boys. There is some lovely sock monkey fabric out there too. Wouldn't it make a cute apron?

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  10:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Didn't get my pics up today as planned of some of my sock monkey friends but HOPE to tomorrow! These will not be ones to "Let Go"...They are pictures of the sock monkeys I made for my great neice and great nephews....... but I will have a couple ready to go shortly. A couple of neighbors stopped over today while I was outside pondering how I want to put in a new flower bed around a tree in my front yard......................One of my sock monkey friends that I was working on was sitting in a basket on the front porch......no arms or tail sewed on yet..........But the arms and tail were laying in the basket....... They were excited to see that I was back to making them again and>>>>>>>>>>...........I now have orders for four more!! I will be busy in my studio/sewing room tomorrow!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  04:52:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Linda!
Those are great instructions!!

Cathy (okiequilter)

www.AuntDaisysCottage.blogspot.com

A friend loves at all times.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  05:33:55 AM  Show Profile
Audrey!! I keep checking back to see your pictures woman!!
Anticipation!

My Oldest Son Jeff always loved his.. STILL has it..
I found one at a Yard sale a couple years ago.. not sure if it was home made or store bought..
But it has this voice thing inside it that when you Squeeze it.. It sounds like a Crazed Chimp!
I think it's Hilarious! I keep it in the spare Bedroom where all My neices sleep when they stay over.. (Which is usually my 9 year old Zoey..)
She HATES this Monkey.. she says he freaks her out & i find him on the coffee table nearly every morning when she's over! She's such a hoot!

Cheetah gone Rabid!

Love the 'tutorial' Linda..! Nice easy instructions Huh?.. Can't wait to see YOURS!!

Kathie.. Farm Girl Sister #29

www.nitegardener.blogspot.com

"In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself"..
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  09:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Just wanted to Pop In to say I really do plan to get the pictures up of my Little Friends .... Sock Monkeys.... but we are in the middle of a kitchen redo and have run into a few little/big glitches sooooooo I am kinda hung up with those probs ..... Haven't forgotten and HOPE once again to get with it this evening!! See you guys after I am out from under some of these kitchenie problems!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Sock Monkeys Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page