Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cooking for Beginners? Next Topic  

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  10:50:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,
This is a little embarrassing, but here goes... when I was growing up, my mother pretty much made only processed foods due to time constraints. Everything came out of a box or can, so I really never learned how to cook properly or make things from scratch. Now I've been married for 6 years and my husband and I are starting to develop digestive problems from eating so much processed/pre-prepared food. I want to try to start making more wholesome meals, using more raw or natural foods, but recipe books and the grocery store seem overwhelming! Are there any good cookbooks or instructional guides you can recommend on learning how to cook or meal planning that would work for beginners? Budget is an issue as well, although we're willing to pay a little more for food if it turns out to be better for us.

Oddly enough, we both grew up on southern home-cooking... but it was our grandmothers who knew how to cook. Our mothers were the first generation to work outside the home and relied on convenience foods, and the grandmothers didn't get a chance to pass down their recipes to us. It's quite sad... my grandmother could make made-from-scratch chicken and dumplings that convinced three different men to marry her. ;)

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  11:58:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Stacy...I grew up in a household like yours...my mom just wasn't a cook, and she really didn't have time to try :)...oddly enough, I think that made me strive to be a really good cook!!! The first cookbooks I ever bought for myself were published by junior league societies, and "in house" publishers, like churches and ladies auxillaries. Very easy, very good recipes. And you get your basics down that way. Sure, some "terms" may be different, but usually in the back of these cookbooks are great referenced guides. I armed myself with some good tools in the kitchen, like quality measuring cups and spoons, and I made sure to have all the basic ingredients on hand, so I could whip up a cream sauce, or a batch of biscuits and have virturally the same ingredients for both. I was also a strict vegetarian for 8 years, and unless I wanted to die of boredom, I HAD to learn how to prepare some new things!!!!

My two cents, anytime you see a fundraiser cookbook for sale, buy it. There are just some good "home cooked" recipes in there to familiarize yourself with starting to cook--baking chicken in a casserole or out, making pot roasts, etc...and then, you can branch out. I have to be honest, I cook every night and the cookbooks I DON'T use are as follows: The Joy of Cooking, The New York Times Cookbook, and the James Beard cookbook...these were all given to me, and I'm not a chef--I'm a good cook, so unless I'm looking for a way to braise lamb or something like that, I haven't even cracked em'.

It's to the point now, that 4 out of the 6 days I cook at home, I don't use recipes--just make something up on my own. You'll get that way, too!!!!

Feel free to email me, as everyone knows on this forum, I love to cook and offer up recipes :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  12:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Stacey!

The Cookbook "Goodness Gracious" is really great. I got a copy for a wedding present and it really is a handy cook-book. Very yummy and hearty foods! Once you get used to home cooking, I know you will really enjoy it. And somethings that are prepackaged only take a moment or two longer to make from "scratch".
http://www.amazon.com/Goodness-Gracious-Recipes-Good-Living/dp/0740727206

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  2:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Alee that looks like a nice book!

I also like better "Homes & Gardens Potluck Favorites" cookbook - it gives you a photo of every recipe and the instructions are pretty simple. It also gives you the ingredients in two quantities - so you can make a large OR small batch. Handy if you want to freeze leftovers. The recipes translate pretty well to ordinary dinners.

You know, my mom always cooked and now she does it for a living, but I never had much interest in it until I was all grown up and moved away. So now she's basically teaching me to cook over the phone. Hand-written recipe cards from her are my future treasures!

That's another good idea is to find someone who cooks a lot, and ask them if you can help them out in the kitchen.

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  2:24:11 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest getting a subscription to "Taste of Home" magazine.Or even go online and sign up with Weight Watchers for their newsletter for healthy recipes.
Also kraft.com has a magazine and newsletter that you can sign up for with nice recipes.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  3:44:35 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the suggestions ya'll, this is helpful and I will definitely check these books out!

It also reminds me that if I ever have kids, I'll need to either show them how to do things or write the recipes down for future reference. ;)

Go to Top of Page

venuscarroll
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Jessica
Portland Oregon
USA
18 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  3:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Real Simple Magazine has a cookbook with recipes that are quick, easy and budget conscious. It is called Meals Made Easy.

Farmgirl Sisterhood #174

Being in the city I always think, "Oh to be in the country."
Go to Top of Page

ennoid
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

D
FL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  6:51:17 PM  Show Profile
I go through phases of wanting to cook recipes from my Williams-Sonoma cookbooks with really obscure receipes to trying my hand at Southwestern/Mexican food to cooking downhome Southern basic recipes like my Mom and Nana make. I love to watch cooking shows on the Food Network to learn techniques and tips. Also, I think great cooks need great tools. I enjoy cooking so much more since I bought better quality knifes and cookware.
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  9:31:08 PM  Show Profile
For straightforward, easy, "plain" foods on a budget, I wholeheartedly recommend Not Just Beans: 50 Years of Frugal Family Favorites by Tawra Jean Kellam. It's self-published, so the format isn't the most professional, but the cooking tips are fantastic, and the recipes are straightforward.

I'm a big foodie, always hunting down the "authentic" ethnic recipes, but for comfort foods I always go back to this one.

A vegetarian classic is Laurel's Kitchen.

Have you considered taking a cooking class at your local community college? These can be really amazing sources for learning the basics.

And as everyone else has said, having the right tools makes all the difference, but buy them only as you need them (i.e. one quality chef's knife instead of the entire block full).

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  10:34:32 PM  Show Profile
You know what I like...if you go to your nearest County extension office or 4H, or even go online and order (if you go to the office they often have a rack of books for sale) a beginning cooking leader book it will have fun things to make from scratch. I have one that I used in 4H in 5th grade and have a different version for my own kids. They love it and it is fun. I try to cook from scratch as much as I can and am teaching my kids that now, but alot of people didn't have the opportunity. I love the good old Betty Crocker cookbook too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  06:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I forgot about Betty Crocker. I like that and my stand by, Fannie Farmer. "The cream sauce that won the man!" as Justin named it, I learned from Fannie :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cooking for Beginners? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page