Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  09:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday I was making sourdough french bread, letting my stand mixer to the heavy work of the kneading like it is supposed to...and it caught fire. Well, I didn't see the flames, but I sure saw the smoke! It is completely ruined.

Luckily, it was under warranty so the company is sending us a new one, and 10 days later they are issuing a UPS call tag and are paying the shipping of the old one back to them.

So on one hand I get a new kitchen aid...but mine was still new! Less than a year old!! Poor Kitchen-Aid.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  09:40:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh Alee, it's a good thing you're able to replace it under warranty! My mum burns up blenders all the time making smoothies, even really expensive ones. I think it's one of those ""they don't make 'em like they used to"" things...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  09:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ours always smelled "hot" from day one, so we think maybe there was something wrong with it from the get-go. We'll see when we get the new one!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  10:02:54 AM  Show Profile
It's good you caught it while still under warranty -- my Viking Serger always ran "hot" too, and then it melted down one day while I was making 100 scent satchels for a friend. One month OUT OF WARRANTY. Even though it was a factory manufacturing defect they still made me pay the labor and shipping costs to fix it.

Grouch grouch grouch.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  7:22:32 PM  Show Profile
It is definitely a case of not making them like they used to - I stripped out the gears on my Sunbeam about the fifth time I used it and the guy at the repair shop told me that everything is made with plastic gears now. I wish I had held onto my grandma's Sunbeam....
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  12:24:06 AM  Show Profile
What's a sunbeam? A sewing machine? (I know, showing my age, or lack of domestic skills.)

I love those moments "When Appliances Attack!" My Mama ended up buying a new Kitchenaid in the last few years, and was loving every minute, until one day she had a lapse in logic while mixing something that smelled yummy, and bent down to sniff it... YANK! Out came a big clump of her long blond hair. She wasn't hurt, just her pride, and she had a small bald patch on the back of her head for a while after. We still giggle about it.

Oh, and one weekend day, when Mama was out of town, and Dad was making us breakfast, my brother and I woke to the sound of the smoke detector. We walked into the kitchen, past the open front door, to a smoky and very ticked off Dad. The toaster was malfunctioning, and as he was apologizing for waking us, flames shot up out of the toaster. I screamed "FIRE!" and good old Dad spun around like a line-backer, ripped the cord out of the wall, and threw that thing out the front door and onto the lawn. The flames promptly went out, which I like to think was because he was so speedy. He hadn't slowed down a second from his high school football days! It was all really funny, once the smoke cleared.

Farmgirl #181
http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
Save our oceans! Eat more prey fish!
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070624132617.htm

Edited by - N Marie on May 17 2008 12:25:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  06:40:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a Sunbeam stored in my garage for the day when the Kitchenaid dies (and a sad day that will be!), or I ever have a kitchen with enough counter space to have both mixers out! I just love the look of that old Sunbeam; it's just like my mom's!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Good Bye, My kitchen-aid Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page