Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  06:57:55 AM  Show Profile
I've never tried it before...what kind of red wine do you ladies find to be best for cooking with?

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  07:09:21 AM  Show Profile
It all depends on what you're making, Jodi. For spaghetti sauces, I used a merlot or burgandy...something with a rich, mellow flavor. For chicken and white meat dishes, I use a dry white like a chardonnay.

What are you cookin' up?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  07:28:32 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I actually haven't decided what I'm making yet, lol. Just playing with the idea of trying something new. Getting bored with the same recipes and such, and so I was browsing through some of the past threads here looking for new ideas, and it struck me that I've never even considered cooking with wine before... I'll have to look for some specific recipes to try.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile
It's always good to experiment, Jodi :)...here are some suggestions for the way I use wine in cooking:

Pot roasts or beef tenderloin roast: I will take a roast, rub it with olive oil, slice small slits and stuff them with cloves of garlic, salt and fresh ground pepper the roast, put it in a roasting pan with carrots, potatoes, turnips, whatever veggies you like and then pour about a cup of red wine and a cup of good beef stock and then roast. I baste as it goes along....the juices of the roast with the wine and broth are wonderful!!!

When I saute chicken for pastas, or any type of dish like that, I start with olive oil, then remove the chicken when it's partially done, scrape up the brown bits and pour some white wine in to deglaze the pan, then put the chicken back in to finish cooking.

If you make your own spaghetti sauce, start simple with canned tomatoes and paste , add garlic, oregano, red wine and whatever else you like.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on May 12 2008 07:58:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  07:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jodi,
If you look up wine pairing on google.. it will give recommeded wines with foods and then you can make any creations from there.... I work for a local winery (www.desertwindwinery.com) and of course we have great wines (check out our wine club). Also we have some brilliant people in our community that are making _grape seed oils by variety ( merlot, Cab, etc.. the oils are amazing to cook with.. they also have grape flour ( to be added to other flour for creations), make super scones and browning pairings that company is call Apre'svin (french for "after the wine). Report back about your creations, it is always fun to see what people are doing in thier kitchens...( we are in the process of having our basement kitchen certified so the gals in the community have a place for after market product creations....fun, fun!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  3:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Does most of the alcohol cook off? I've heard both sides of that, and I'd like to know more for sure before I try it since my dad doesn't drink, and wouldn't appreciate it if I was putting alcohol in his food. LOL

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  3:21:22 PM  Show Profile
It does...especially when using it to deglaze a pan. Cooking it with a roast also dilutes the alcohol content.

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  4:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Yep! Jonni is correct!

Jodi I can so appreciate what you said about your dad, it made me chuckle he sounds a lot like my dad.. however since being in Washington Wine Country for 9 years and having worked in the industry - I have so corrupted my dad, I have him about drinking out of the barrel :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cooking with wine? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page