Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Needle threaders and embroidery? Pinkroses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Needle threaders and embroidery? Pinkroses Next Topic  

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  12:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey all
I am in my 50's and am having problems with threading hand needles such as embroidery, quilting and hand sewing. ( I do wear glasses with bifocals; and recently got my eyes examined ;because I am diabect and have to have a yearly exam
I ordered a new automatic needle threader from a stichery catalog
It was expensive;but I thought if it threaded the needles it would be worth it
well, when it came I couldn't thread any needles from it
It suppose to work like a stapler
I have several so called "needle threaders" they are more of a head ache than a help
I have brought the cheap ones and after only a few times they break at the neck and the wires are worn
Anyone have any suggestions?
With a world as high tec as we live in today it looks like they could invent a needle threader that acctually worked. Pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  4:22:23 PM  Show Profile
I love my Clover needle threader. It is quite expensive, usually around fifteen dollars, but it is absolutely amazing. My eyesight is getting a bit wonky in my old age, apparently I am getting cataracts. Oh well. Wehn I first got the Clover threader I thought it didn't work very well, but after a few tries I figured it out. I don't know if that is the one you got, if so, just keep trying, it does work wonderfully but it takes a few tries to figure out just how it works. Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  4:30:56 PM  Show Profile
I just thought of something that might help you. Do you ever use the John James large eye quilting needles, I find those very easy to thread and they are great for any hand sewing. i don't think you can use multiple embroidery threads with a
Clover needle threader, but it does work on size 12 quilting needles, which never fails to amze me. For years I would swear that I had gotten needles with no eye in them! Katin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  11:21:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ; I have used the clover needles and I do use the james too
But the wires wear out.
Thanks for the suggestions,; maybe they will soon come out with something a bit different. pinkroses

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  7:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sheila,

Well you'd think the gadget gal that I am that I'd have a needle threader and would if a designer hadn't have shown me a secret years ago...and I wear glasses too and it still works..

Just use a piece of "bright white" paper cut in a strip and hold it behind the eye when you get ready to thread the needle..you can see the eye perfectly everytime. works fabulous for threading the machine needle too.

Let me know if it works for you...

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  7:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Sheila, have you tried the needles that thread from the top? What I mean is you lay the thread down, put the needle over the thread and pop the thread through into the eye. My description sounds weird, but I think it should work if you are able to see the top of the needle and the thread. My eyes are getting terrible and I have to use a magnifying glass that doesn't always work. I can work myself into a terrible sweat when I have to thread my machine. You should be able to find the needles at your local Hancock store.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  11:36:47 AM  Show Profile
Stephine
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the needle that threads automatic
I don't know if that is the one you mean
It worked until the thread slipped out which was often.
thanks for the suggestion
Betty
I had forgotten that one, I had heard of it ;but just forgot,
I will give it a try
Both computer sewing machines I have have needle threaders that threads itself ( with a little help from me of course)
I don;t think I could sew on the machine if I didn't have those features.
Thanks pinkroses

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Needle threaders and embroidery? Pinkroses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page