mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  2:23:23 PM  Show Profile
We are expecting our first grandchild in November! I am so excited and have been thinking about what kind of baby food is out there and what I will feed it. I'm not thrilled about buying ready made. Any ideas out there amoungst you farm ladies about this. How to cook,season, and prepare it? Any good books or sites on the subject. When our children were babies we fed them ready made and added our own foods along with it. Creamed potatoes, mashed veggies,grits,scrambled eggs. That sort of thing. Thanks for any help with this. Tracy

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  3:10:10 PM  Show Profile
My daughter has made a lot of home-made baby food. It is really pretty easy. She got a small food chopper/grinder. She puts a half banana in it, or an apple, or sliced carrots......and it blends it all up into a smooth consistency. Then it is baby food! She has also used a baked sweet potato, dried prunes and a little water with one of her little ones who is poop impaired, and strawberries.....anyway, all are organic and quick to make and totally fresh.

There are organic brands out there that are good too, so look for those and do not be afraid to use them! Congratulations on your grandchild. Be prepared to fall deeply in love!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  3:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We rarely bought baby food- and usually just when I was getting super busy and didn't have much time for anything. We just cooked things until they were finger squishable, then would add some juice or water to blend to puree. Nora was really good about chunks and such pretty early so I didn't have to puree for too long. We basically just fed her whatever we were having, just cooked more or mashed or whatever.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  4:11:09 PM  Show Profile
We make all our own baby food, and plan to continue, it's just so cost effective.

Including rice porridge, which is currently what the pediatricans recommend for first foods --- just grind the brown rice in a spice grinder, then cook in 4x the volume of boiling water. Thin to proper baby consistency. I used "Super Baby Food", a great but overly involved baby food cookbook.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  7:34:24 PM  Show Profile
I just do same as most others, it looks like! Just cook it longer until it's mushy, puree or squish it up and wa-la!

Sometimes, I'll do some batches for the freezer. After using the food processor on it, I spoon it into ice cube trays to freeze. Makes great single serving sizes!

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  10:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the good ideas! It really helped me to think beyond potatoes and grits. Didn't think of sweet potatoes and we love them. I'll make a note about the dried prunes & water for that doodle issue that will surely come up! I haven't priced commercial baby food but I did see a large can of baby formula under a locked glass counter at Food Lion for $26.97. Can you believe it! My daughter has already decided to breast feed so that plus making her own baby food will result in a substancial savings. We haven't discussed the diaper issue yet. I used cloth diapers at home and pampers for trips away from home. Any advice about that would be appreciated. Thanks again. Tracy

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  10:57:39 AM  Show Profile
I use a hand-held blender for quick baby food. It makes clean up really, really easy too!

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"John Deere. We stand behind everything we sell. Except the manure spreader."
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  03:50:15 AM  Show Profile
If you have a blender, that's all you need!

No need to season baby food! Bland is better until they start on solids

If you must buy...look for the simplest ingredients w/ no starches or cheap fillers

I remember my brother eating tons of bananas and yogurt when he was a baby.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Homemade Baby Food Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page