Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I fell in love with a piano today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I fell in love with a piano today Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  5:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
With an old antique baby grand!! Our local Salvation Army has one for $400, but no one has wanted it yet and they are willing to negotiate. There is some pretty severe water damage to the side that is curved and some of the top wood is cracked/missing just in that one spot. The rest of it is AMAZING. It is dirty and REALLY needs some love with beeswax furniture polish. It cried out for me to take it home right then and there...if only I could! I am trying to think of ways to raise the money before we leave so I can buy it! Is it horrible to hope no one else wants it so they might just give it to me?

This is what it would look like if it was all cleaned up and restored- although "mine" is more of a mahogany look-

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on May 06 2008 5:24:35 PM

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  5:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Alee- That is a gorgeous piano. But,I don't want to burst your bubble, be careful of pianos that have water damage. Once the glue joins have been affected, the piano will never play the same. When we had our fire, our piano received a good dousing from the fire hose. It sat in climate control for seven months before they were able to determine that it was a lost cause. It made me so sad. I kept the legs though, and the bench. I use it as a coffee table in my living room.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  5:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Alee!! I hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  6:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
They are going to consider a reduced price for me and hold it until I can clear the purchase with Doug/come up with some money. The water damage is pretty superficial- mostly damage to the finish and to a small part (about the size of my hand) on the top. I opened it up and the inside was completely dry- no water damage marks. I didn't get to walk around it because of how it was in the storage room but it looks promising. I did get to play it a little- horribly out of tune, but all the keys are there and none of the piano wires had snapped. I am completely twitterpated about it! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  6:37:24 PM  Show Profile
Alee...I love it, but you have to move it to Montana....I love it, but you have to move it to Montana....I love it but you have to move it Monana...Sorry, that became sortof a mantra. Think on it...there will be others, maybe not a grand, but others that need your love, too.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  7:12:58 PM  Show Profile
How fun would that be!? It's gorgeous but as Jonni said you'll have to move it to Montana. Are you going to have room for it? I'll bet you're thinking that you're willing to leave something else behind just to have that, aren't you?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  7:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I figure that there is some things that I am willing to do without like our wooden pantry shelf- not sure if it will even fit in unknown housing for the next year or two and things we were already planning on garage sale-ing.... oh lordy! I am giddy! I need to have a day or two to calm down a bit. But I am so ready to just pack up the essentials and say "Garage Sale!" on everything else... I mean we do have to get a truck to take the bed and couches, at least one desk and a few tables plus our boxes. Doug might put a big firm NO on the whole idea....but I did figure out a way to pay for it...

Right next door to the Salvation Army is a BioMedics where they buy your blood plasma... I hate needles...but if it is in a good cause. Tomorrow I am going to take a little polish down to test the finish- and if they okay it- get a picture. :D Ooo I am so excited!

If it doesn't work out, I know there are going to be other pianos and other opportunities...but I can't help being super excited about this one.

I will double check tomorrow to make sure the joins weren't damaged by water and I have to make sure that it will be sturdy enough to transport. Can you just imagine though!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  7:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I can feel you shaking with excitement from here! Whatever tickles you, girl. Go for it and I hope Doug gets at least a little excited about it. Keep us posted.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  8:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I can't wait until I can get a picture to show you ladies. I am in 7th heaven! I have been wanting a piano for years and have seen a couple listed for free but Doug has always put the "no" on those ideas... I am sure it's because he would have had to try and get it into a second-floor apartment! LOL Hopefully we will get to just pull up to the shop on moving day and whisk her away! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  11:07:00 PM  Show Profile
I was so excited when we finally got our old piano..it is a big old upright. I sure wouldn't want to move it far though. We bought it 20 miles north of here and that was a hard trip!!
I hope it works out for you....pretty piano. I don't play the piano myself but three of my 4 kids at home take lessons and it is fun to have music in the house..good luck.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  12:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Talked to Doug and told him the whole story. My mom has someone who works with her who's dad tunes pianos professionally so she is going to ask her dad how we would have to do this to make it work and not destroy it. I mean, it has to be movable. I know people move pianos everyday. I know it will need a massive tuning afterwards and each time it is moved more than a little bit around the house. I have settled down a bit since earlier this afternoon, but it sure would break my heart to leave her behind. Doug says he has long wanted to take lessons, so it would be great to have something like that in the house!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  05:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm keeping all my fingers crossed for you, Alee. It looks like the size of mine, a parlor grand. I've had mine for 30 years. I went out to buy a loaf of bread and walked down the mall and there it sat, used and abused, in the front of a music store. When I was going through a divorce, I told everybody it was Christmas every month when I could make the piano payment by myself. Mine is old and needs to be refinished, but there's just something about the mellow tone of it and just owning it(haven't played it in a while - needs tuning...). A parlor grand is such a wonderful size - it really doesn't take up as much space as you might think - mine is kind of angled in the living room. I'll be thinking tons of positive thoughts for you!

And as for moving it, well, the legs unscrew and so should the harp. And the top. An old man and a young boy moved mine from the music store to my house. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on May 07 2008 05:40:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  12:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Very pretty Grand
Although If it needs repairs it could be expensive
I brought a organ from my piano teacher one time and it was in pretty good conditon
but gave it to the Army store
I have a spinet pinao.
I love the baby grands; but don't like the big ones
Hope you have good luck and can get it.
That is a pretty good price; even if you do have to replace some things
I have to get my spinet tuned ;but am going to wait till we get in our new home; as it is expensive to get it tuned.Pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  3:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Talked with Doug today and he says right now he is "not liking" the idea but he wants another day to mull it over. Ugh. I hope he comes around. But on a good note, if he doesn't I think I know of someone who will buy it. He's a piano tuner/repairman/expert who I called to ask questions about transport. He asked if I would give him the contact info if I decide not to take it as he might be willing to take it on as a project.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  07:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
I always ask for "this or something better for the good of all concerned" then if I get whatever it is I want, I'm fairly certain it was meant for me!
I hope your dream comes true Alee!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  08:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Doug and I talked it over last night and it looks like I am going to get my piano if Salvation Army can let me pay a much reduced price :D yay! I am going to go talk to them today!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  12:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good luck, Alee!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  1:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
My fingers and toes are crossed, my eyes too. Hey, it's hard to type thfigck; way. LOL!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  1:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Oh you ladies are wonderful friends. They don't want to let the piano go for less than $250 which is about $150 out of my budget. It seems silly looking at the numbers when I know how much I want the piano! LOL They did say that if they still can't sell it, in a couple of weeks they might be willing to let me have it for $100. So please keep hoping that everyone else who looks at it only sees the water damage and the dust and not the gem that is underneath!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  2:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Ok, we all need to send out vibes that say "Stay away from this piano! It belongs to Alee!" :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  2:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes! Please do!! That piano needs me and Nora wants to play it...I swear she does.... ;D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  4:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay, Hubby and I talked it out and decided that the moving budget just isn't going to allow for buying the piano. We are going to try to get rid of all our furniture and downsize downsize downsize. I wish I could strap it to the top of my car, but somehow I don't think hubby would be okay with that. The Highway patrol might have something to say about it too...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  4:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Alee- when the time is right, it will happen.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  5:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
*sigh* I know- It's just so hard to leave a beauty like that behind. I have these fear that someone will buy it and strip it down and...paint it... :(

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  3:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well, I wavered back and forth between buying it and not buying it yesterday, and in a moment of weakness I called our local piano guy and told him about it. Of course he snapped it up. It's an amazing deal. So at least it won't be painted. It will be completely restored, which is a little of a balm on my loss, but I am still sad :( I just hope another lovely piano is out there somewhere for me!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  3:30:29 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
Sorry to hear that your treasure is in someone else's hands. Another one will come your way when the time is right.

My mom doesn't have a baby grand, but she does have 3 pianos in the house. If you love them, they will find you!!! My dad collected old Buicks and my mom, pianos. The joke was, "hurry up quick and get this in the barn (for cars ) or house (for pianos) before your mom/dad sees it." My mom's collection never compared to my dads. When he passed away we found 48 titles to cars. That didn't include all of the parts (2 huge barns full).

All that to say - Montana has a perfect piano just waiting for you!

Ann
Forrester Farm
http://picasaweb.google.com/FORRESTERFARM/FORRESTERFARMWEDDINGS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I fell in love with a piano today Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page