Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Still waiting Next Topic  

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:37:22 AM  Show Profile
A while back I posted a question about building a new home or remodeling an existing one on our farm. We are still waiting for the estimate from the contractor. It will be 3 weeks this Wednesday. He has said he will call and doesn't. Two or three time he has promised the estimate and failed to make good on his word. He finally called last night and said that he would tape the estimate to his shop window and we can drive 30 miles to go pick it up. Then tells me "I can't start until sometime into July, is that okay?" So vague. I'm telling ya if I drive all that way for an estimate that isn't taped to a window... well let's just say it won't be very family oriented. I was really hoping that by now things would be getting done. Thanks for reading this, sorry for the vent.

Cynthia
www.vintageprairie.blogspot.com

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:40:43 AM  Show Profile
I think I would be calling a few other contractors because this guy doesn't sound that interested in your business. He also doesn't sound professional. I would check him out first and I would watch what you sign too.

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:42:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Tina...after going round and round with plumbing contractors and siding contractors last winter, I finally thought "hey, there are plenty of good folks out there to do the work..." most of the time they never would call. I say, that gives you an idea about their business practices if they DO come out for the job.

I learned my lessons the hard way, Cynthia.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:45:26 AM  Show Profile
Totally-we are meeting with another contractor tomorrow who says he can have a crew going in two weeks. I am not signing anything until I have atleast two estimates in my hands. By the way you're probably wondering why we didn't get another opinion right off the bat. I'm wondering that now too. This first contractor came highly recommmended so I had faith.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:53:54 AM  Show Profile
I did the same thing--I really believed that they would want the work...the one guy that was referred to us stiffed us on our fence--apparently he started "using" again and we were out $1800 and my husband had to finish it up himself (which was what we were trying to avoid alltogether!)....If you don't return my call within 48 hours, you don't get my money--especially if I've left messages on your cell, work and home phone that have been supplied by the webpage.

What will happen now, like clockwork, is that the first guy will call--and you'll be able to say, "Sorry, we've found someone else to do the work--you took too long." and listen to his diatribe of excuses. In this economy? Shoot, he should be glad the telephone was ringing!!!!

I hope you get what you need, Cynthia...can't wait to see photos!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  10:00:07 AM  Show Profile
That is horrible service. You should not be treated like that. My hubby is a licensed plumber and I know he would never dream of treating a customer like that. He is well know and well liked around here. The phone all but rings off of the hook for him to do work. Look around and find someone else. Some people still do quality work. I know that firsthand.
Take care and good luck with everythig.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Farmgirl #170
Go to Top of Page

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  6:50:35 PM  Show Profile
Update: Yes, the estimate was taped to the door. However, I asked the guy point blank if he'd have it itemized and he said yes. It wasn't and he didn't include electrical, plumbing, insulation, or drywall in the estimate. What in the world? Am I missing something here? Three weeks and I get a barely legible scrap of paper and no sketch as promised. He doesn't want that job and guess what-he's not getting it. Thanks for all your advice.

Cynthia
www.vintageprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  7:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good for you Cynthia! I think you are wise to not go with him. Perhaps he is a good contractor but just swamped right now. I have been there and done that when I had my own business. But if you are going to pay the bill on something as important as your house- he had better act like you are his #1 client and give 110% towards your account. I am sure there is a great contractor in your future!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Still waiting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page