Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What is the shelf-life of yarn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What is the shelf-life of yarn? Next Topic  

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  02:47:46 AM  Show Profile
I am in the planning stages of opening a yarn store/art gallery in Doylestown, Pa. Trying to cover as many bases as possible, I was wondering if anything happens to yarn if, let's say, it's left in a basket for a long period of time without being stored in a plastic bag. Does it dry out or fade? Would dust in general affect it?

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  05:18:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Diane,
I'm no expert, but I do know the type of lighting you use will affect some dyes.
I took a weaving lesson form a woman who owns a book and fiber store, with fluorecent lighting, she has had problems with reds and pink cotton rug warp fading badly.
I would check with a few of the manufacturers you plan to carry for suggestions.
Please let us know if you will do mail order!
I'd be interested if you will carry weaving supplies too!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  06:55:31 AM  Show Profile
You want to be careful of light but yarns biggest enemies are acid and moths.

Acid would come from wood, paper, and the like. As pretty as wooden display shelves would be, they will leach acid into your yarns and ultimately weaken them. The same thing happens if you stash your yarn in wooden drawer. If you use tissue paper to wrap your yarns, be sure it is acid free (archival grade). What I have done in my art room is to use wooden stackable cubes with clear plastic bins which fit them. I then had UV film applied to the windows of the room professionally.

As far as those nasty moths, there is little you can do to keep them out of your space since people will be coming in and out the door. BUT, you needn't use nasty chemicals, find a nice soap with a fragrance which will not offend anyone. I use Regular Caress sometimes and other times I use English Lavendar soap. Unwrap the bars and stash them behind the yarn. Moths HATE the smell and will not settle on the yarns. I also keep bars of soap in my closet. Every few years, replace the bars and put the old one in the bathroom for use (a bonus, they will have hardened some and will last for more bathings than they would have when they were new and softer).

Handling yarn and knitted items with clean hands is important because moths are actually attracted to microscopic food particles left behind by your hands. They eat yarn to get the food or grease. Keep in mind that yarn may arrive from your supplier infected. Be sure to inspect it carefully. The soap in the displays should chase them away but I always throw new yarn in a big Ziploc and freeze it for three days which will kill moth larvae.

Lots of rambling here. You can tell it is early for me.

Hope this helps!
Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  07:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you both for this info. I am planning to print this out and keep it as a reminder. I can relate to the early hour, I posted this topic at 4:30 a.m.! (Can't sleep because I keep thinking of more things for the store). I will use all of your tips. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  2:44:19 PM  Show Profile
DG, you must keep us informed. I'll buy my yarn from you. Woo hoo! Your own yarn store. Sounds like a dream come true. Of course, I'd have to have embroidery supplies and quilt stuff...thanks for the opportunity to dream a little. If you lived near me, I'd come to work for you for free!

Blessings,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What is the shelf-life of yarn? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page