Page: of 2

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  4:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
Hey ladies! I was just reading someone's blog that was listed in their signature, and LOVING it! (thanks LJRphoto!) I know maybe it's silly, but it's so much fun reading about others' trials and fun times! Who else has blogs? I'd love to check 'em out!

Wishin' I was there with ya,

Lacy

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  02:50:13 AM  Show Profile
http://www.farm-garden.com/robin

Mine is done through my job.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  2:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Mine is part of my website, www.petreader.com

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlannie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Annie
Chehalis Wa
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  6:26:31 PM  Show Profile
I have a blog. I am not a farmer but a teacher and farmgirl at heart.

www.parobinson.blogspot.com

Note: I love blogging and find that it is a really good way to let friends and family know what's going on. It's actually pretty easy, too. I am not a computer person, really, but I love this!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  10:42:44 PM  Show Profile
No blog here but I keep saying I'm going to start one. Maybe soon -- I have to get mail art, buttons, and quilt squares done first!!!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  05:47:57 AM  Show Profile
I don't think she's noticed this thread yet, but my buddy Kathy has a blog! She posts here under the name LifeSmiles, and it's largely about crochet & her upcoming wedding. Darn funny, too, imo. http://getyourhookon.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  07:24:33 AM  Show Profile
Just started one for my best friends,,,,,,,the "girls" and now Harley's pups

http://morkielove.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  08:16:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a blog but I just started it last week so there are only two entries!

blog.myspace.com/rlph

Colliehaven's Farmgirls - southern IN chapter
Go to Top of Page

amystew
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Amy
Eureka CA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  10:05:29 AM  Show Profile
I've become a little bit of a blog addict--I've got one about worms, one about chickens, and one about gardening. (Maybe if Blogger allowed you to categorize your entries, I'd just have one and I'd categorize them--but as it is, this is fun, too!)

What I love most about having a blog is that it's such an easy way to share photos and stories with friends and family. I think it would be especially great for parents with a new baby. It's so easy to post pictures and write a little caption--takes no longer than writing an e-mail--except that unlike e-mail, you don't have to worry about flooding your friends' in-boxes! My dad inherited a lot of old, old family photos--he is now scanning them and posting them online so the family (who is all across the country) can look at them and post their memories of who is in the photo, what holiday that might have been, and so on. A great way to keep these photos alive and in circulation.

I also think it is a wonderful way to document a hobby. Whether you're sewing a quilt or building a boat, it's so easy to post your progress and probably connect with other people doing the same thing. My father is a great photographer; he recently started a "photo blog" for his fine art photography and now he loves getting comments from other photographers and seeing their photos. I think it has really broadened his world. He's only 60, so hardly even a senior citizen yet, but I could see how great this could be for someone with only basic computer skills in their 70s or 80s--I think it will give him a way to enjoy photography even if someday he's not as active.

As long as I'm raving about blogs...the other nice thing is that it's so much easier to get started than a website. You don't have to register a domain or know any software or anything. If you have a little cottage business...selling soap or something...you can tweak your blog a little to make it a place to sell your products and post the latest news from your farm or shop.

I'm going to go check out all of these blogs. It's great to have them all in one place like this. My chicken blog is below; from there you can find links to "Worms of Endearment" and "Dirt."

Gardener, chicken lover, worm wrangler

http://humboldthens.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  4:37:48 PM  Show Profile
I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is a blog??? I've never heard of that before being in these forums. Thanks Jan
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  5:05:51 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE IT! Worms of Endearment!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

amystew
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Amy
Eureka CA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  7:09:23 PM  Show Profile
I'll try to answer the "what's a blog" question--"blog" is short for "web log," and all it is is a web page in the format of an online diary, with the most recent post on top and older posts down below. There are a lot of services that allow you to set up a blog for free or very little money, often using their web-based interface so you don't even have to download software. (Blogger is like that--there are lots of others--Typepad is very popular but I think costs a little money.)

Anyway, they come with a choice of standard templates you can choose from, and you can customize from there, adding links and other information down the side. The more you know about building web pages, the fancier it can get, but if you know nothing at all, you can still set up a blog in just a few minutes and start posting.

Bloggers tend to find other bloggers who interest them, and then they start posting about each other, linking to each other, commenting on each other's blogs, etc. So it's very interactive, more so than a regular web page, which is more work to update so not as likely to change as often.

To give you an idea of how people use blogs, you can go to Google's blog search page and type in anything you're interested in (knitting, chickens, whatever) and probably find blogs about it! http://search.blogger.com/

Go to Top of Page

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  08:06:29 AM  Show Profile
I haven't seen this thread until now (as Heather suspected)--thanks for the shameless plug!

I really enjoy blogging, though I thought it was kinda pretentious at first--who wants to read about my ridiculous life? Turns out it's very fun, and a better form of journaling than sitting and writing in a book (shame on me! I've lost the old ways!), and it amuses my friends (or maybe just Heather). I also use it to keep my stitching group updated on meeting times and projects.

http://getyourhookon.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  10:56:59 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a blog yet, but I want one. Here are some of the blogs I visit everyday, part of my daily ritual.

www.farmgirlfare.com -- great pictures that change everyday, great stories, and recipes
www.deliciousdays.com -- good pictures, good food
www.101cookbooks.com -- I love this one, best recipes, beautiful pictures
www.adventurejournalist.com -- I'm not sure why I like this one so much, I like the way she writes but theres got to be more to it then that.
www.loobylu.com -- A lot of great links to craft sites
www.keeperofthekeys.blogspot.com -- I love her stories

Two new ones --
www.travelerslunchbox.com -- good food stories
www.katehill.blogspot.com -- I love France and french food and french counrtyside.
Of course I don't get to check them all everyday but I try.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  11:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
These are so great! Thanks... this sure perks up a slow work day at the computer!

-Lacy
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  2:01:44 PM  Show Profile
I think sometimes thats the only way I get through those boring days, Like today!
Lacy where in LA are ya? I lived in Mar Vista (Venice) on Venice Blvd at Beethoven (I think was probably about 23rd st). I moved up here about 1 1/2 years ago.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  2:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Melissa! Big Hug Farmgirl! I love the Kate Hill Blog! Does she have THE life or what? I love what she wrote about the pilgrims and The Camino next to her house. She is living my dream!!!! Thanks for all your cool info!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  2:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I live in Glassell Park just East of Glendale... in my tiny little apartment with my two dogs and fiance... but at least there's hiking trails through the BIG park above my house. I'm actually moving to Dallas (home) in a few weeks though. Trying to get a farm south of there... had enough of my big city life! I loved your list! I've been reading "Farmgirl Fare" allllll day. I'm sooo ready to ditch my current job and head out there too!
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  2:55:04 PM  Show Profile
sqrl,
Thanks for all the links! I started with Kate Hill - I've read all Peter Mayle's books and many others, as travel essays are my favorite books! This will be very fun to read! Is it a coincidence that I'm enjoying an afternoon snack of bread, cheese and wine??? I've written down the others, too. I'm curious - how do you find these?
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  3:54:38 PM  Show Profile
Sqrl,
I am home now and FINALLY got to the Sisterhood Site!!! Be-uuuu-teee-ful!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  09:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh kim, I am so happy you finally made it on the site. I wasn't sure what to do next, yeah!!
I'm not sure how found all these blogs. Sometimes it gets SO boring at work. I get all my work done and then there is nothing else to do, so I surf. Farmgirlfare I found by typing "farmgirl" into google. But all the rest is from cklicking on everyone links and getting lost in "webrings". Since everyone always has links to their fav. sites I go and check them out, I have found so many great sites this way. I'm telling ya, I can get really bored at work and surf all day long. Anyway I'm so glad your enjoying the adventure, it's fun to share it with me girlfriends it's like passing on a good novel. And don't ya just love Kate Hill's life, I often find myself day deaming about living in France, I was there for three weeks about two years ago in the Fall and I just fell in love. I was in northern France -- the countryside, an island called El de Ray where all the french salt comes from, this is where I discovered my love of exotic salts and then I was in Paris. I'll never forget it. I been to other places but it is France that caught my heart. I was in a ceramics class at the time and I made all these little Goddesses out of clay and left them in special places all over France. Well enough of my rambling I'm glad your enjoying the blogs, I sure the people would be happy to hear that thier writtings are so chersihed.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  09:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh MeadowLark I forgot... When I read that story about the pilgrims I thought instantly of you. It is such a wonderful story, you feel like your there. I would love to be there.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

amystew
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Amy
Eureka CA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  8:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Just discovered two more blogs I think y'all would like:

http://rurality.blogspot.com/

and

http://www.roosterhillfarm.com/journal/

This can get addictive--especially when every one has links to still more!

Go to Top of Page

Kit
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Mechanic Falls Maine
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  05:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Kit a Yahoo! Message
I too blog ... through livejournal ... http://www.livejournal.com/users/kitszoo/ ...
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  1:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
Well, since I did start all this, and I get bored at work, I thought I'd start a blog and do something a little productive with all that free time I have! It's not very long or anything, and right now just has introductions of my little "family", but it's on its way!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  2:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Amy for the info. That sounds like fun. I'm going to check into some of those websites. Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who's got a BLOG? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page