Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Picnic Ideas! Next Topic  

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  4:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
What is your favorite things to make for a picnic? Favorite things to bring? Favorite places to go?

Audrey

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  4:47:14 PM  Show Profile
I love homemade fried chicken, or curried chicken salad with grapes. I always have a nice bottle of wine and some good cheese, muffins and pie for dessert. We usually take it in the car on a "day trip" and try to eat at a historic park or some sort of battelfield or whatever we come to.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  4:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
YES!! Cold, fried chicken, I love my potato salad (yes, even with mayo in the sun...!!!), got to have some yummy pickles, sweet tea and some biscuits with butter of some sort!! OH...I am getting hungry!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  5:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
When we lived in Washington, D.C. we used to love to go on picnics at a place called Wolf Trap ...... It was a place where the Symphony used to perform and behind the regular seating was a huge grassy picnic area where you could picnic if you prefered that to sitting in regular seating.....we had such great times with friends picnicing there! Great memories!

Audrey

Audrey
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  6:38:26 PM  Show Profile
Audrey, I've been to Wolftrap several times, for the symphony and many, many ballets. My friend lives in Alexandria, and that's where we'd go to test out her "new beau" to see if he could hang with two cultured, independent chicks who love the arts!!! Love that place!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  03:52:30 AM  Show Profile
one of my favorite things for a picnic is to have a 'theme' .. to create a memorable 'ambiance' .. be it CLOTH checkered tablecloth and napkins .. with a colorful tin coffee can filled with wildflowers .. to a 'wine and cheese' with candles and romantic music served on a silky cloth overlooking a river or sparkly city skyline .. or a teddy bear or dolly picnic with child-size antique cups and saucers .. oh .. the list goes on forever!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  05:50:38 AM  Show Profile
we usually picnic on the boat, and normally it's quite hot....this may sound crazy, but, i crave salt when it's really warm out and although i like fried chicken, i'm not crazy about getting it all over my hands so i like salami on a bagette, sometimes with a piece of cheese.....that and a glass of wine (with plenty of water on hand, too!)
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  09:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Owwww I love all the ideas.....We are planning to go to the Santa Fe Opera and people have tailgate picnics before the performance.....You guys are sooooo wonderful....It is such fun to just "Click" on my link to Across the Fence and VIOLA >>>>>>>>>> Lots of neighbors to bounce ideas off of! This is really a wonderful community! Everyone really has that good ole fashioned community friendship that I think is so lost today! Thanks Mary Jane for setting up a group that shares these special qualities. I am so glad I found all of you!

Audrey
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  09:47:33 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Another favorite salad of mine

1-2 can white beans- I like the tiny one's, rinsed and drained
1 red onion, chopped finely
1 large tomato, chopped into bit size pieces
salt and pepper
parsely
olive oil and vinegar- to you own taste.

I like mine tangy, so I add more vinegar. If you can make a day ahead, it tastes even better. Just adjust all ingredients to your own taste. I sometimes add black olives but hubby doesn't like them. Artichokes are good too.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  09:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Heather,

I am going to try your salad! Sounds Yummy! I love black olives so will definately add that! Thanks!

Audrey
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  5:37:03 PM  Show Profile
You know, I just realized that we don't really picnic. I mean we sort of do but it's nothing special. It's usually after a long hike or around midday during hunting season and we just head back to our truck, make lunch, and eat at the tailgate. Otherwise, it's just dinner (that I didn't want to have to come inside to make anyway) served on the picnic table out back. Not very romantic, is it? I guess I just never gave it much thought because there are so many other things I'd rather be doing than cooking/eating. So the meal ends up being something quick and easy so I can go back to what I was doing(I'd much rather be outside than stuck in the kitchen in the warmer months). Is that boring or what?

For our hiking/fishing/hunting trips, I always pack carrots, celery, apples, bananas, sandwiches, juices/pop and during the elk hunt, pumpkin-oatmeal-walnut cookies for energy. I always have travel/hiking in mind when I pack the food and so I want stuff that we can just take with us if we decide that we're going to be too far from the truck at lunch time to go back.

I think I need some help in this picnicking area. You gals all sound like you fix it up fancy and enjoy all the fuss.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:25:58 PM  Show Profile
I can't ever remember my husband (of 39 years) and I having a picnic. Isn't that terrible. We just don't "stop and smell the roses". We like to eat out at a nice restaurant. Maybe I will surprise him someday with a picnic by the pond!!!!!

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

ErinW
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Erin
Corbeil ON
Canada
17 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:37:04 PM  Show Profile
Best place for a picnic: Picture an old homestead, long overgrown, with the garden gone wild. Daylilies, columbines and lilacs everywhere. Long grass, ancient pines. Dappled light.

We didn't actually linger to eat there, but I always wanted to.
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Picture perfect!!!!!

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  10:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Lisa,

I don't think you have to plan a picnic per se.....I think anytime your enjoying the outside and bringing food is a "Picnic".....Youv'e been having picnics and didn't even realize it :)!!

Audrey
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  05:58:39 AM  Show Profile
I guess so, Audrey. But I certainly don't get as fancy as Frannie with all of her neat stuff! I don't know, I just don't really have the inclination to go to all that fuss when all I can think about is going back to what I was doing! Maybe, some day, I'll surprise dh with a "real" picnic on a day that we're not really doing anything.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  07:41:32 AM  Show Profile
This thread just reminded me of a very nice memory I had almost forgotten, so thanks Audrey for bringing it up!
When I was a teenager Granny took myself and my sister on an impromptu picnic at Reelfoot Lake, Tennessee. We had plain old lunchmeat sandwiches on white bread, potato salad, hardboiled eggs, and a thermos of tea (except for my sister, who nothing drank nothing but blue Gatorade for months and was constipated for the whole summer).
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  07:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Jessie- OH my gosh!! I am literally crying from laughing about your poor sis's condition!!! I am sorry but just the thought...

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  08:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Frannie,

I really enjoy creating a mood as well for a picnic and I love your idea of a colorful tin coffee can for wildflowers! The coffee can could hold utensils, etc. to arrive at the destination and then it would be fun to look for colorful wildflowers for the can at your destination in your picnic basket. The theme idea that you mentioned is a great jumping off (organizing idea)...........Italian Food theme.....New England Food theme.......Mexican Food theme......Vegetarian theme........Just fruit and cheese theme.......My brain is on a roll right now :)......!!!

Audrey
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Picnic Ideas! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page