handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  07:35:36 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you been to the Kentucky Derby? Yesterday was my second visit, although the first time I was only 12--I was in the school band and we performed there (I don't remember much about that visit).
My husband and I helped in the Green River Cattle Company's food booth--in the infield!!! Oh what sites there were. There were beautiful hats and unusual hats. What baffled me most was all the women in the high, high heels--in the mud even!! And speaking of mud--there was even some mud wrestling--not part of the program. The worst part for me was---I didn't see one horse. Isn't that awful--to be at the Kentucky Derby and not see a horse???? If I help out in the booth again, I will ask for some time off to canvas the whole Churchill Downs.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  1:11:14 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in louisville. Went one time to the derby when i was a teenager. I use to go to a friends house on derby day --she lived a block from churchill downs --we would help park cars in their yard :) I use to work at keeneland about 24 yrs ago --use to pony horses at the track and groom when races would be in. That was LONG time ago --i feel so old somedays :(

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  1:23:25 PM  Show Profile
ada mae ... at our kentucky derby party last night .. a man was saying that you can get 'in-field' tickets and NEVER see a horse! i told him i'd rather watch it on tv .. he replied .. that there is a certain 'excitement' about the crowds and festivities that made it worth it to him even though he didn't see the horses. i forgot to ask .. are there tv monitors you can at least watch the race on?

the ONLY race i accidentally saw on TV was the 'big one' where BIG BROWN won and that poor little filly broke her ankles. we had just arrived at the party and everyone was glued to the tv .. so i watched too. didn't even know it was the 'big one' until it was all over!

i loved the 'outfits' the women were wearing .. that was kinda' fun to see! i guess it's just a fun time to 'dress up' and show your pretties. i do want to attend at least ONE time while we are in kentucky .. but i'm savin' my pennies so i can sit where the horses run past me! xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  2:46:31 PM  Show Profile
There was a big screen monitor that we could see from a distance. It was not a very clear view, although we could see the horses' numbers on the bottom of the screen and how they were placing. The U of L band came by us and we got to see "Patrick"--the boys whose family got the total home makeover. His dad was pushing him in his wheelchair. He was smiling and waving at everyone--lots of people were calling out to him. One funny site was 5 guys in straw hats and grass skirts (over their shorts)!!! I hope to go back again sometime. And I'm like Frannie--the best place to watch is on your TV (unless somehow you can manage front row seats!!!)
Lisa--it's funny how you live close to something and rarely, if ever, visit it. We always seem to go away some where for our attractions.

Go to Top of Page

venuscarroll
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Jessica
Portland Oregon
USA
18 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  1:17:10 PM  Show Profile
I have been to the Derby a number of times.
My Dad used to work as a communications technician for the Associated Press on Derby Day at Churchill Downs.
He could usually get me a press pass and on one occasion- a seat in the grandstand.
Now that I live in Oregon I try to have a Derby party on occasion and expose people here to the thrill of it.
Last year we had a big group over- all the ladies and most men wore hats (I had a pre-party with my girlfriends to do them up right).
We had BBQ burgers and beans, benedictine salad, cheese grit casserole, bourbon balls, biscuits, country ham, corn bread, derby pie, mint juleps, etc.
My mom sent me programs, official Derby plastic cups, horse balloons and derby pins in the mail.
I tear up every year when they play My Old Kentucky Home, especially now that I'm gone.

Farmgirl Sisterhood #174

Being in the city I always think, "Oh to be in the country."
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  1:54:49 PM  Show Profile
I would love to go one year but haven't made it there yet. I watch it every year on TV though! I sure hope Big Brown is a Triple Crown Winner this year. He's a good looking horse and sure looks like he's got what it takes to win all three races.

Kim

Farmgirl Sisterhood #184

" Life's A Garden- Dig It! " Joe Dirt
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  5:39:19 PM  Show Profile
We live in Louisville and avoid the Derby like the plague. In fact, we didn't even watch it on TV. The greatest part about Derby week is that for the Oaks race on Friday, many companies are closed and school is out. As a result, traffic was a BREEZE! I just don't "do" the Derby...and I'm so saddened by that poor horse........

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my Etsy shop: http://backwoodsjunction.etsy.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:21:51 PM  Show Profile
Rachel--I can understand your traffic concern, although it only took us 30 minutes from the time we made it back to our car at Papa John's Stadium until we got on I-65. I was really surprised. It took us longer than that to get from the Downs to our car!!!

Kim--I'd like to see Big Brown as the Triple Crown winner also.

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  05:45:53 AM  Show Profile
The closest I've been has been right outside the gate, in my big rig! I couldn't get in so had to watch the race on my TV! That was last year, I think. Later I found out that an internet friend had just moved to Louisville and didn't know "I" was there...otherwise he would have invited Hubby and me to his place for the KD party and race watching.

Someday I'd like to be there in person!

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:42:12 AM  Show Profile
I live only 45 minutes away and I've never been to the derby, but I do enjoy watching it on tv. I'm not much for crowds so I'm well satisfied to watch from my lazy boy, lol. It was so sad about eight belles. Such a shame.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:47:30 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been to the Derby, but I've been to beautiful Churchill Down for tours. The museum is really neat to see. They have a very neat movie that is in a complete circle that you stand inside and watch above. A lot of the exhibits are interactive. I've been to Keeneland in Lexington several times for races and morning workouts to take photos. Very beautiful track as well. My dad use to haul straw to a few of the horse farms around Lexington, etc back when I was a wee little Jess. I use to go with him during the summers. That was a real treat as I got to see some of the Derby winners & their "family" so to speak.

We finally took a tour of the KY Horse Park about a month ago. One thing about my old job that I really miss is getting to go to the horse farms and visiting. I still stay in touch with a few of the farms. May get to visit a couple this summer to take photos.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Kentucky Derby Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page