Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Who's children are immunised and WHY or WHY NOT?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Who's children are immunised and WHY or WHY NOT? Next Topic
Page: of 3

kimberly renae
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

kim
southeast ohio
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  6:40:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Carolinagirl

I understand your point about the vaccines not wearing off. However, just because it may wear off or may not be effective after a long time doesn't seem to be a good reason to not get it at all. I'd have to know how the body handles those sicknesses after it has had a vaccination to make an informed response. For example, would I have a better chance of repelling the sickness because I have had the immunization in the past, even though it may have weakened, than someone who hasn't had the vaccination at all?

I haven't made a decision on the HPV vaccine yet. I have two daughters. I also fought HPV for four years, having the warts frozen, cut and lazered off. Very painful disease to deal with. If I had had a chance for a vaccine that would have prevented the fear of cancer caused by HPV, I would have jumped all over it. Hypothetically, I would seriously consider ANY vaccine that would prevent cancer. But, I am being cautious and learning what I can before making any decision about that.

Ultimately, I agree with you about the parent being the final say about their child's well-being. However I don't think that decision ought to be taken into account when the child will be in a public setting (such as school) and the risk they pose others by not having the vaccine.

ETA: Here's the analogy I thought of in regards to vaccinations... I rarely get sick. I'm just a healthy person. I want everyone else to wash their hands because of sicknesses that spread hand to mouth (or whatever), right? But is it fair for me to decide that since everyone else is supposed to be washing their hands, then I am safe to not wash mine? I wash my hands because it protects me and everyone else, and I hope that everyone else is washing theirs for the same reason. I don't want to get what someone else has, and I don't want to spread anything myself.

amen, i applaud you!!! well said!!

my thinking is that the majority of you as mothers had vaccines when you were little and you are still here right??!!!

http://simple-needs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - kimberly renae on Jul 21 2008 6:42:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  6:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly,
I realize that it is horrible to witness a child being sickened by an illness that a vaccination could have prevented but it is also hard to see a perfectly healthy child one day and one completely different the next. Though most studies say there are no links between vaccinations and autisim there are many parents who say otherwise since their kids were healthy and right after the shots were a totally different person.
Thankfully, in America, there is little chance of getting most of the diseases. I realize that this is because the majority of the population has been vaccinated and I am thankful for that. Each parent needs to weigh the pros and cons of the vaccinations. I personally feel that there are way too many shots given to a child and therefore chose to forgo some for my children and delay other shots until their immune systems are stronger. Flu shots are pushed on everyone but this years strain wasn't even the one that the flu shot guarded agaisnt. The HPV vaccine is pushed even though there isn't much research on the long term side effects.
As a RN you realize that there are sometimes side effects to vaccinations. And while most of them are mild with a small fever and fussing you also realize that every so often there is a very dangerous reaction to a shot. Imagine how you would feel it if were your child that had that dangerous reaction.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  8:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey! I just finished a great article in the August issue of Kiwi Magazine. I got the mag today at Whole Foods. I'm not sure if it's on their website or not. It shows the pros and cons of having immunizations, delaying and skipping them altogether. This may help those trying to make the decision.

My youngest son that I've spoken about before and has speech issues, began those issues the day after having his MMR shot. He was a premie and had reactions to every shot. I undertand immunization because it has saved many lives and prevented diseases such as meningitis and polio, however, I don't believe they are safe for all children. If we were to ever have any more, doubtful but not impossible, I would do delayed immunizations and skip MMR altogether.

Blessings!
~Farrah
www.homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/

Go to Top of Page

lavendermom
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Jennifer
Houghton Lake MI
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  6:09:46 PM  Show Profile
It took me over 2 years to really research this topic and I am glad that I did...I encourage all parents to research (you don't have to take 2 years!) any medical procedure and don't just do something because you feel like you must or because the doc says so! My first 3 children were all immunized on schedule. #2 came down with whooping cough/pertussis (very NASTY) after (inspite of) his shots. Something seemed wrong with #3...every shot seemed to not sit right with him or me. I began wondering... Then #4 came along and she was bright, happy, beautiful...until her 6 months shots when she became very ill, lethargic, feverish. She had been given a total of 6 shots in one visit! My husband scolded me severly for allowing it! She recovered, thank the LORD. But, we started really digging into everything we could find. Not biased info, but I visited the various pharm sites, sites for individual vaccines, sites for the CDC. I actually counted myself the number of deaths/complications reported for diseases vs. the vaccines. The truth might shock you!
Needless to say, #5 is 100% organic and the healthiest child we have! He has never been to a doctor and he is 3 years old. He has never had an earache. He has never run a fever for over 24-48 hours. When he does get ill, he recovers swiftly. Actually, none of my children have been to the doctor in well over 5 years since we became "health-food nuts" and I became an herbalist! #3 still has many food allergies and other issues that we are overcoming and I am convinced that they were triggered by the vaccines.
Bottom line...do your homework and don't make a decision based on fear one way or the other. We are blessed with abundant resources today at our fingertips! Use them to empower yourself! Know the facts!

I have more info on this at my site...
www.fromfieldsandgardens.com

www.homesteadblogger.com/fromfieldsandgardens
www.farmsteadorganics.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Who's children are immunised and WHY or WHY NOT? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page