Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Who's children are immunised and WHY or WHY NOT?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Who's children are immunised and WHY or WHY NOT? Next Topic
Page: of 3

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  6:44:02 PM  Show Profile
I know people on both sides of the fence but I am curious to know where some of you stand on this matter. My daughter is up to date on all of her shots but I have heard so many horror stories about autism and other effects of vaccines that I dread taking her in for any more shots. So, what do you think? Do you or DONT you?

Fresh and creative projects popping up on my blog daily! Stop by and check out what I'm up to today!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  7:23:42 PM  Show Profile
I don't have the time at the moment to list all my reasons, but my girls are not vaxxed. I'll get into it after the weekend.

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  7:41:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm curious too. My husband applied for the doctoral program at out state college last year. He had to provide record of all his vaccinations in order to apply. I haven't research enough to decide one way or the other. I am curious though how this will effect kids attending school and college.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  8:03:55 PM  Show Profile
I, being a stubborn new mom who was going to do everything organic and natural, made a decision to NOT vaccinate...that is until I saw my first case of whooping cough in a six month old. Very scary is an understatement and I couldn't live with myself if one of my girls got something serious that could have been easily prevented...so vaccinated they were. I did not, however, get the "new" meningitis and chicken pox vaccine which I felt may be more important for children who were immune suppressed, etc.
Now I know there are many arguments for and against vaccinations, both of which can be backed up with a vast amount of statistics and scientific research. For me, and I did research ALOT, I chose to vaccinate. And from what I researched, all of us that farm should definitely keep our tetanus shots up to date.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  8:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Mine definitely are. Their doctor cared for me as a child and I know and trust him. No matter how much I research, the fact remains that I did not go to medical school. I just can't get on board with the conspiracy theories regarding vaccinations. And like Diane, I couldn't live with myself if something happened to them.

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"John Deere. We stand behind everything we sell. Except the manure spreader."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  9:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Mine are..but they have all had chicken pox so none have had the shot.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  10:36:41 PM  Show Profile
Out of 5 kids we have partially to none. Except the 2nd son who just returned from a two year foreign mission- he's got all kinds. Besides the research I did, my youngest had a bad reaction to the first round and I refused to ever let them give her more. I think it is such a volatile topic that people just need to research both sides and decide for themselves. It's easy to get bullied by the medical profession and school system and it's easy to get caught up in the tide of the "no-way" extreme. It's a tough call either way. What if your kid gets sick because they didn't have them? What if they are injured because they did?

Every path has its puddle. We have a choice - Turn around, walk around, or jump in and have fun!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  03:25:13 AM  Show Profile
As Angie said we all need to do our own research. I know those who have and haven't I believe we all need to make the decision for our own children at least while we still have the option, as choosing anything for our children seems to be in forefront these days. The battle is going on about parental right just now. I had my first immunized, my second had a bad reaction so I chose not to do anymore with her. Each child is different. My third had to have them for school and after the first year we chose to homeschool so I no longer did them. My children are all grown and the one who had all her shots is the one has all the health problems but I don't know or say it was from vaccinating. Could be just coincidence

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  07:59:47 AM  Show Profile
It's such a confusing debate to me. I assume that the health proffessionals know what they're doing so I mostly trust them to do the best thing for my child, and if that means shots, so be it. But on the other hand, when I look at my vibrant, lively two year old and think that one round of shots has a one in a million chance to injure her or leave her "changed" in some way, It's not worth that 1 percent chance y'know? BUt there are pro's and cons both ways so I guess it's all just up in the air. I lean more toward vaccines ( besides the fact that i hate the immideiate affects of the shots,,,cranky baby for a couple days) but I still wonder if I'm doing the right hting. My daughter has had all her shots up until now but lately I am really hessitant to bring her in to get them up t o date, just because of all the things I've heard.
It's all in Gods hands anyway so how can I think that I really have anything to do with it. I trust that whatever I decide to do, he only has my best interest in mind so it'll all turn out just like he planned :)

Fresh and creative projects popping up on my blog daily! Stop by and check out what I'm up to today!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  08:16:09 AM  Show Profile
I thought more about this and had more to add... =)

When you look at it from the perspective of being in God's hands, then it is also highly appropriate to ask Him what would be best for your daughter. He may tell you something other than what you expect. It was with a lot of prayer and research that I made my decision to stop vacinating my babies. I could not stomach the thought of putting all those toxins in a fresh clean little body.

WHile I admit, I don't necessarily believe vaccines work. I have had both tetnus and Hep B because of the fire department. I believe that an "older" body, older teens, adults, can handle the effects of the toxins better than a tiny baby. I do not get a flu shot, but know lots of people who do.

It is a confusing debate. I would say doing your research, making a decision and then confirming with the Heavens is the best decision you could make. Looking at the doctors for the "know all" advice is sometimes not as sound..... remember Doctors PRACTICE medicine. THat doesn't mean they have it right. Look at antibiotics for instance- but that's another discussion. =)

Every path has its puddle. We have a choice - Turn around, walk around, or jump in and have fun!
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  5:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I have to agreed mainly with most of the advice here. Both of my daughters have most of their vaccines, however, there is one they are missing, and off hand I can't remember which one without looking it up. I want to say it was the German measle part of a combo vaccine. My first baby had the combo shot. That night she was uncontrollable, screaming, her leg (where the shot was given) swelled something awful, then she had a brief seizure. After midnight call to the doctors referral service said that the vaccine could not have had anything to do with it. Oh and obviously since I was a "new" mother, I must have only "thought" she had a seizure. Considering my husband is an epileptic, I was quite sure I knew want was happening. Anyway, I took her to another pediatrician the next day. He immediately understood and provided me with the so called legal documentation so she was not required to have that particulat vaccine. I won't incriminate him by putting his name down here, but even he said "Some vaccines do more harm than good". And quite honestly, if the majority of the children are vaccination against these diseases, how would she come into contact with it? My second baby is also "excused" from this vaccine, and the school system has to accept it the same way they have to except exclusion for religous reasons.
Not intended to frighten you or offend anyone. Not everything works for all people.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  6:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Being prior military, I have had everything and the kitchen sink. I would have preferred not getting some of them but it is documented and I will fight like the dickens should something happen down the road. My son is vaccinated as far as the basics go but I don't know if we will go beyond this. I think it is a very personal choice and if they would put out useful information to make a decision instead of making people paranoid, no matter which way they choose to go, it would be helpful. I do think more research is needed especially on the Autism side of things. My best advice is if you do decide to vaccinate, make sure you have time to watch your child and take care of them for a few days after. I thank God Charlie took them pretty well but I would have been nervous if I had to put him in daycare where they are not watching all the time for signs of problems. I also believe is using a holistic medicine approach in conjunction with tradional medicine. I think there are both good and bad sides to both. As Angie said, do what your heart tells you.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  8:02:32 PM  Show Profile
The most important thing to do is research, research, research. There are too many parents out there that just trust everything the doctors say but guess what? The medical profession has been wrong before. There are plenty of vaccinations and medicines that have been pulled off the market after years of being in use because of some proven harmful effects. You must decide what to do for your own child and while that may be getting all the vaccinations, only getting some, or delaying some until he/she is older the best way to start is to read up on everything.
I, personally, believe that babies and young children are just too small to be injected with soooo many things and I think that the laundry list of all the shots now a days is crazy. I think one of the safest things to do if you are concerned is to delay the shots until your child's immune system is stronger and her body is bigger.
-ELizabeth
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  10:23:15 AM  Show Profile
I am an RN so I researched the vaccine issue to death and mine are all vaccinated but the vaccines were delayed. For instance, my 4 year old just had his first MMR vaccine, I think he was supposed to get it at 18 months. I am a SAHM so really he didn't need to be vaccinated for daycare or school or anything until now, and he is supposed to start pre K in the fall so I had to get his vaccines caught up.

And, I didn't allow them to get more than one vaccine at a time. I can't remember off of the top of my head, but one time they wanted to give my kid 4 vaccines. NOPE.

I agree with everyone above, who said it is a very personal decision and what works for one family may not work for another.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  10:55:03 AM  Show Profile
The Spokane newspaper today reported a Measles outbreak, so don't think they can't or won't be exposed.
I went to school with a girl that had had polio when she was 3, she wore leg braces from her shoes to mid-thigh and was quite limited on what she could do. That was enough to convince me the immuniztions are important.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  9:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Mine were both vaccinated. I didn't research anything.
My arguement is this simple: I have lost a child, my daughter when she was just shy of three months old- albeit not to anything vaccine related.
I don't ever want to experience that loss again, especially over a dreaded childhood disease that is pretty much preventable with modern medicine.
I will take the natural approach in every other way I can as a first attempt at care. But not on this issue.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  03:39:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kate, I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine.

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  05:03:28 AM  Show Profile
I heard the news story about the rise in measles cases too. It was declared readicated in 2000. Four years later there were around 40 cases,then in 2007 (I think, but the year may be off by one)there were 66 cases. This year, from January until April, there have already been 66 cases identified. The story also gave the hisotrical stats for measles. When it was in its height, 400 million caught it annually, with 400-500 deaths annually. Tens of thousands (40-50K) were left with some sort of disability from it. The CDC attributed the rise in measles cases to parents choosing to not vaccinate their children.

Julie mentioned her husband having to have shots to enter the graduate program at a university. My university did this as well, and you could NOT register without having that particular booster- I think it was chicken pox. If you couldn't prove you'd had it in the last year, then you had to have it right there in the registrar's office. There was no religious or ethical release from getting that vaccination- you either took it and registered or you didn't take it, and you went home not an enrolled student. There had been an outbreak at the state universities, and with the on-campus living situations (dorms) the schools felt it necessary to protect all students. So, with that as the assumption, I believe that colleges and universities can barr students from registering if they don't have required immunizations.

Both my daughters are vaccinated. I believe they are good for my children's safety, and good for the community in which we live. My father in law had polio as a child. I don't want that possibility or chance for my children, or anyone else's. I hope that those vaccinations will protect them if there's ever an outbreak, where those unvaccinated children will not be protected. Children encounter each other, and their sicknesses, in more places than school- the store, the playground, church. I respect a parent's right to choose not to vaccinate, but I think that parents who don't vaccinate are relying on those who do to protect their children.

I don't believe the autism-vaccination link. The information presented doesn't add up completely. I would reconsider my position if there were substantial evidence that the link exists.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  05:41:04 AM  Show Profile
I have been continuing to read this thread and I can see everyone's point of view. I do believe as we all make our own choices for ourselves and our children on many different issues we should not make those choices out of fear one way or the other. I believe doing research is the key but I also believe seeking wisdom on both sides of the issues help us to make better choices. Most of all I believe we should seek wisdom from above. I have never had that wisdom turn me in a wrong direction.

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  05:50:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chicken necker

even he said "Some vaccines do more harm than good".

It's so nice when doctors are comfortable being honest.

The thing about it for me is that vaccinations are based on a statistical model. It's not really based on protecting your individual kid, it's based on quelling the spread of disease in large populations. In a model like that, there's an "acceptable" margin of error. And since each of us loves our own precious bundles and puts them first, people in the medical field don't want to talk about that.

We selectively vax (tetanus was one of our priorities), and that puts us in a grey area. Doctors would understand better if we were a religious exemption, but that's not who we are.

I really miss my pediatricians from when I was a kid, b/c I think I could have talked to them about vaxing a lot more candidly, and they'd have known what kind of person I was and that I'd put thought into it.

That said, I had a lot of problems with pediatricians being very put out that I'd even question something they wanted me to do.

I had an (admittedly young) ped. try scare tactics on me regarding a vaccination b/c she wanted to give my infant son two different combo vacs. on the same day (pretty common, but I didn't know how I was supposed to parse out what was causing a reaction if he had one, with all that stuff floating around inside him. We offered to pay *more* copays and stagger appointments). She basically told my husband that, since he was a newspaper photographer, he was going to bring diseases home and hurt our baby, so we went ahead with all the vacs. At that point, my dh was still very trusting of medical authority, much more than I was, since I'd had misdiagnosed gall bladder problems for years and eventually had to look up and suggest my own diagnosis for them to figure it out.

Afterward, when we tried to make an appt. for the next shot in the series (six weeks later, like the CDC says to do), they blew us off and said to come back for his next well baby check three months later. It hadn't really been about my son's health at all in that case, it was about being top dog. My hubby actually teared up in the parking lot; he felt like he'd been manipulated into doing something to Will that he wasn't comfortable with. I was furious, and it hurt so much to see my hubby feeling like he'd betrayed his own instincts and our son.

And I think that's the crux of it. That's why we have to make individual choices, and people who don't like what we chose for our own kids are just going to have to deal with it. Doctors and neighbors and family and friends can say whatever they want, but only the child's parents have to live with a sense of personal responsibility for the choice that is ultimately made.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  06:46:31 AM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone's (on both sides!) statements that we should be as knowledgeable as possible about our kids and their health. Despite the fact that I believe in vaccinations, I have had to call down my kids' last ped because her office staff didn't keep appropriate records of several boosters. (Scary!). I knew what they'd had and when they'd had it, so I just told them "No, you're NOT going to give it to her again; you've already done it once." The doc didn't like that, but I knew I was right (And who knows what lots of boosters of the same thing would do, anyway?). That same doctor continued to get worse and we finally left her. I hated it, because the kids liked her, but the incompetence was scary.

I believe medical people know more about medicine that I do- they go to school for it, for Pete's sake- but I also believe that we, as parents, are ultimately responsible for our kids' care. For me, that means trusting the docs I take my girls to and the medicine those doc practice.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  3:48:56 PM  Show Profile
One thing that kinda scares me (& I don't have kids), but depending on where you are located, there are numbers of migrant workers that come here from countries that do not have the immunizations that we do. I know there have been outbreaks of some illnesses that were all but irradicated here in the US, & are now cropping up. Just my thought for the day.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  4:00:46 PM  Show Profile
one reason, before I go nap again, that my girls are not vaxxed is because of the ingredients in a good number of them. One vaccine has fetal bovine serum. They get this serum but extracting a viable bovine fetus and taking it's blood while it is still alive, just short of dying. yet another vaccine uses materials from "products of human conception" ie. human fetal tissues. There are so many foreign DNAs used in vaccines not to mention things like formaldehyde, GMOs, MSGs, antifreeze (in the polio vaccine) among others. It's horrifying to me and Rob and thus our children do not get these chemicals injected into their systems.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com/
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  5:14:40 PM  Show Profile
You're certainly entitled to your beliefs, Tasha and I'm not arguing with you.

However, I found this website: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=9

to be very helpful in determining what is and is not in vaccines, if anyone is interested. It does address the belief that "antifreeze" is in vaccines (that site also links to the CDC for reference).

Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  7:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Like most everyone else here, I did lots of research.

Then I consulted a religious authority for a recommendation (a Rabbi who specializes in medical ethics).

Then I saw babies with whooping cough.

So since EVERYTHING in my life (science, religion, and emotional involvement) voted yes on vaccination, I voted yes too.

All my kids have had all standard vaccines, including chicken pox. Thankfully, I've never had a bad reaction with any of them.

I also get the kids flu shots each season, even though I know that's hit-or-miss. Too many scary secondary infections in my family.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  06:15:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
[i]

And I think that's the crux of it. That's why we have to make individual choices, and people who don't like what we chose for our own kids are just going to have to deal with it.

In case anyone thinks we actually will have a choice in matters of our children, I received an email today concerning what they call the Rights of the Child Act. We as parents may think we are making choices for our children and right now we are but soon it won't be legally in our hands anymore. Check out Parentalrights.org

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Who's children are immunised and WHY or WHY NOT? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page