Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 HeartWarmer! Sportsmanship! Fairplay!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic HeartWarmer! Sportsmanship! Fairplay! Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  10:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
http://www.cwu.edu/~relation/pr-apr30a-08.html

Making the Home Run count- For the other team!

CWU Softball Players to Appear on "Good Morning America," "The Early Show" May 1, 2008

April 30, 2008

ELLENSBURG, Wash. - When Central Washington University softball players Mallory Holtman and Liz Wallace helped an injured opponent around the softball field during an April 26 home game, they never dreamed such a simple gesture would become national news.

But their selfless act has gotten significant national attention, with several news outlets, including the New York Times and ESPN, covering the heartwarming story.

On Thursday morning, Fox News, ABC and CBS will interview them, along with CWU softball coach, Gary Frederick. Their story is slated to air on Thursday's "Good Morning America" and "The Early Show."

"We are definitely surprised by the response," said Holtman, a 22-year-old Wildcat first baseman majoring in business. "I think it's exciting we've gotten so much great attention. It's good for softball and for Central."

During the game, Western Oregon University outfielder Sara Tucholsky hit her first-ever, college-career home run. Distracted and surprised by her accomplishment, Tucholsky missed first base as she ran past it. She turned around to tag the base, but her knee gave out, sending her to the ground with a painful injury. It was later determined to likely be a torn ACL.

As Oregon's coach, Pam Knox, was about to send in a pinch runner, Holtman spoke up, asking if she could carry Tucholsky around the field. Umpires conversed and decided that yes, it would be allowable. So Holtman and Wallace, locking their hands under Tucholsky, gently lifted and carried her from base to base, allowing her to tap each base with her left foot. The three players exchanged giggles as they made it around the field.

"We didn't even know that while we were carrying her around the bases, people in the stands were crying," Holtman said. "We just thought it was the right thing to do."

That sportsmanlike, and most importantly, humanitarian spirit, has caught the attention of the nation - much to everyone's surprise.

"It's humbling and overwhelming," said shortstop Wallace, a 21-year-old elementary education major. "It's true, there's a lot of bad press about sports. I hope this reminds them to love and respect the game. I hope that maybe people who've forgotten that can remember."

Both players credit CWU coach, Frederick, with the sporting spirit and said he's one of the most positive influences in their lives.

"He's one of the best role models we could ask for," Hotlman said. "He teaches us there's more to softball than winning and loosing. There's more to life than that."

Frederick said he too had excellent sports mentorship while growing up, and that he hopes he passes some of that to his players; however, Saturday's act was one of character, he said.

"I'm not surprised that Mallory and Liz did that. I think anybody on my team would have. They are quality individuals," he said. "They felt that young lady deserved a home run and they helped her."

Frederick, a CWU coach for the past 40 years, said he's never seen anything like what he saw Saturday. He can understand why it's become such big news.

"It's true that a lot of the press about sports is negative. I think in this day and age, people want to hear a feel-good story like this."

Be sure to visit www.wildcatsports.com, the official athletics web site of Central Washington University, for updated links to stories as they are made available online.

Below are links to the coverage of this story as they are currently available: ESPN.com article (by Graham Hays, posted Apr. 28)
WCBS radio story (Apr. 29)
New York Times story (by George Vecsey, posted Apr. 29 for print Apr. 30)
The Oregonian (by Brian Meehan, posted Apr. 29 for print Apr. 30)
KGW TV (Portland, Ore.; Apr. 29)
Statesman-Journal newspaper (Salem, Ore.; Apr. 30)
CNN News (posted Apr. 30)
KOMO TV (Apr. 30)

Contact: Teri Olin, CWU Public Relations & Marketing, olint@cwu.edu, 509-963-1416

Central Washington University is a master's degree-granting institution with approximately 10,000 students and 1,500 faculty and staff. More than 160 undergraduate and master's degrees are offered. Founded in 1891, the Ellensburg campus is located in the heart of Washington State, nestled between the Cascade Mountains and the Columbia River. Since 1975, CWU has served the needs of place bound students at six university centers throughout the state. CWU is an AA/EEO Title IX Institution.
Contact Information
News and Headlines
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926
963-1111
email: daysj@cwu.edu
Central Washington University 400 E. University Way, Ellensburg WA 98926 This Site Optimized For Newer Browsers.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  04:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the reminder that good sportsmanship is important, Alee. And that it's not dead yet. My dad coached little league for many years(even after my brother was long out of it). Sportsmanship was key for him. After every game, all his players went to the other team and shook hands and congratulated them on winning. When he coached T-league(the smallest kids), he would ask them before practice sessions if they minded their moms and brushed their teeth - LOL!). Once, when he went out of town on business, he recorded himself telling them what to do during practice and when the tape was played, the kids answered him back when he asked: "Did you all brush your teeth?", a chorus of tiny voices answered: "Yes, Mr. John! We did!"

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  05:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I saw that on the news and I thought that it was fantastic. Thank goodness their are still some children (and parents) with morals and values and understand sportsmanship. They were so cute.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  05:20:23 AM  Show Profile
Great story, Alee. I love seeing selfless acts of team spirit and good sportsmanship toward the opposing team. It doesn't happen often enough, but when it does, it's very heartwarming and an encouraging example of humanity.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  07:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I seriously had tears in my eyes when I watched this news story. I love it! And that home run turned out to be the game-winner!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  07:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I love how ingenius (sp) they were to get the homerun to count. I thought it was fantastic and yes, I was boo hooing like a baby.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  07:43:54 AM  Show Profile
That was fabulous Alee, thank you for posting as I can't watch TV. Fairplay and sportsmanship...dare I say sistership here? is an important and wonderful quality. Thank you for pointing it out.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  3:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Awe crying here...wonderful story! What a wonderful example of compassion.

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic HeartWarmer! Sportsmanship! Fairplay! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page