Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ugh - puppies!!! Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  3:31:20 PM  Show Profile
I went outside to take the clothes off the clothesline and noticed that the neighbor dog was "calling on" our dog. I didn't notice that she was in heat but by the looks of it all it seems as though she has been bred. Don't get me wrong, I love little puppies but we live in town and the one and only time that she has had a litter was five years ago and she had nine puppies! I'm dreading how many she may pop out this time. By the way, is her age (6 years old) going to make birthing difficult or do dogs of this age do okay? Maybe there is still a chance that she isn't pregnant, which would be nice. I know the kids would love to have some puppies around for the summer though!
-Elizabeth

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  4:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth- Sometimes it takes several tries to get pregnant- Can I ask- is there a reason you keep her "intact"? The only reason I as is because of how long ago that last litter was and her age. It seems like you aren't purposefully using her to breed?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  4:58:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth,
Dogs can and do get pregnant with one breeding. They can also be bred by more than one male and have puppies by more than one male. I would lock her up for at least two weeks until she is out of heat. Six years of age is like about 40+ years in humans. So yes, it will be harder on her to have puppies. They do have an after breeding shot that works to stop the pregnancy if administered within something like 24-48 hours. I would have her spayed after this litter. I hope you can find homes for all of them if she's pregnant.
Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  7:23:13 PM  Show Profile
No, there is no reason we kept her intact except for being naive and thinking she wouldn't get pregnant again since we do a pretty good job of keeping an eye on her when we know she is in heat. I guess we did a good enough job for five years by avoiding it but she will be spayed this year now. The thing that makes me mad is that the owner of the "father dog" is a police officer down the street and he is the only one who lets his dog roam free - makes me soooooo mad since this town does have leash laws and I am always seeing his dog scamper off to who knows where. UGH!!
-ELizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  7:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth-

That's hard, but I so happy you are having her spayed. It really lessens the risk of mammory cancer and of course negates the risk of uterine or ovary cancer. Not to mention all the other benefits. Puppies are great but it breaks my heart to know how many live their lives out in shelters or have to be put to sleep because they don't find homes :(

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  9:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth- one of my dogs was in heat and my male got ahold of her. She was six, almost seven, so I took her to the vet right away and got her spayed. Last time (over a year ago) my stud got ahold of her just once and she had 4 puppies. So yes, it can and will happen. What kind of dogs are they? You really wouldn't have too big a problem getting them new homes, though. I had an accidental litter or 7 mixed breeds last year and had tons of calls. Maybe you better not tell me if you have puppies. Seeing as how I am an animal nut and live 15 minutes from you. Hubby would probably kill me if I got another dog! :)

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 01 2008 :  06:54:58 AM  Show Profile
The one time she did have puppies we had an easy time finding them all homes. It does break my heart how many homeless animals are stuck in shelters and killed so I don't want to be a part of that problem. I've always been careful to get all our cats fixed but I guess I failed with our dog, though we are keeping her locked up now and hoping that maybe that mating didn't "take". Our female is German Shepherd/St. Bernard and the other dog is a yellow lab so if she has conceived these will be big puppies! Ahhh!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  2:38:09 PM  Show Profile
You can have her spayed right now and it's done...... and there won't be more puppies out there.....

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  7:01:18 PM  Show Profile
I thought for sure that she was pregnant as she was getting bigger and her teats were swelled the past week or two. After her going past her "due date" I took her to the vet and after an ultra sound he said that this is a false pregnancy, much to my relief. I just noticed some discharge and after speaking to the vet he said it is probably a uterus infection which they can often get after a false pregnancy from the hormones so she is on antibiotics. But so glad we don't have puppies to deal with and after this is over we will get her spayed. The vet said not to spay them when they are in a false pregnancy or else sometimes they can get "stuck" with the pregnant look - droopy teats and all. We don't want that so will wait. Thanks for all the input though!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  10:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great news! Especially since you weren't planning on puppies and all!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ugh - puppies!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page