SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  11:35:21 AM  Show Profile
I've been looking through a great book with lots of great recipes for canning different meats/veggie combinations, etc. This book says you should boil anything you can that is a meat or a low-acid food for ten minutes after opening the jar and never to taste it cold right after opening it. Okay, are they just paranoid, or is this for real? We've been eating chicken and venison that I canned last fall all winter without doing this at all, somethimes we've even used the chicken cold in stuff. Are we risking our health? Any insights? I mean, isn't that what the pressure canner is for? Or am I mistaken? I've only been canning for two years, with no family example, so I'm sure I could have missed something. Please let me know what you feel about this. Thanks!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  2:10:10 PM  Show Profile
I don't do it. But then...I don't see the point, if I canned it the right way in the first place...right? WE all use canned items from the store without heating them.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page