Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:02:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm hoping to spend a little me-time this weekend, getting my new Herb Garden (7x7 square plot) at the new house set up. I've been dividing my own herbs from the old house, plus I purchased several small plants this morning.

So far, I have transplants and or cuttings that I started last Fall:

Lemon Balm
Thyme
Sage
Chives

Purchased:
Rosemary - 1 BIG plant purchased about a month ago.
Curly Leaf Parsley (5 plants)
German Chamomile (3 plants)
French Tarragon (3 plants)
Oregano - 1 plant
Dill - 2 plants

Can't wait to get these new babies into the ground.! I have a diagram all planned out, and still need about another dozen herbs to complete it. This whole layout may not be completed this year, but at least I think that I am off to a good start.

I am having a terrible time finding WHITE yarrow plants in the nursery or garden centers around here. Every color except white, and from my Herb books and mentors, I need the yarrow with white flowers for use with tinctures. Still looking!

I'm also undecided about what to use for pathways; it's a simple crisscross pattern, with an "X" for pathways dividing the four separate sections where the plants will be. I may use mulch for now, then change to stone/gravel or stepping stones later. SO many ideas, so little time and money! I am excited though, can't you tell? It's taken SO long to get warm enought to plant here in Virginia...but I think it's safe now...

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:10:04 PM  Show Profile
You might have to order that Yarrow, Jo. Try seed savers and a few others--they actually have native plants to order, in addition to seeds.

I can't wait to see it all planted and growing--make sure you take some photos, won't you? Oh to have an herb garden that large!!! Maybe that will be my next years project....

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Patty MorningRamble
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Patty
Keene TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:13:30 PM  Show Profile
sounds like it will be a beautiful herb garden

http://morningramble.blogspot.com/
http://morningramblegifts.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jonni - I have been looking online and may have to break down and order it. I made a great tincture with some flowers and leaves that I um, borrowed, from a public garden last year...but I'd like to have my own plants from here out. I'm excited about the new garden, it's been rototilled and ready for a couple of months, and yes, I will take some pictures and post them!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Patty!

Jonni - I checked Seed Savers and they don't carry yarrow.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Patty MorningRamble
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Patty
Keene TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:29:20 PM  Show Profile
Here in Texas we have yarrow growing on just about every roadside !

http://morningramble.blogspot.com/
http://morningramblegifts.com/
Go to Top of Page

Moonsanity
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Brenda
Michigan
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  05:31:24 AM  Show Profile
That sounds great! Remember to cut the flowers off the oregano when it blooms or it will reseed EVERYWHERE! I can't wait to see pictures:)

~Brenda
Journey of Grace and Whimsy
http://grace-whimsy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  06:51:54 AM  Show Profile
That's an herb garden I would love to have! I finally put in a small vegetable garden and have onions coming up right now. I plan to put my tomato seedlings out there soon and start loading up on the herbs. It's been a bit chilly at night here, but I have high hopes that this was the last morning that we have frost!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  11:47:10 AM  Show Profile
I got the plants in the ground Saturday afternoon - looking good so far! Thanks for the heads-up about cutting flowers off the oregano, Brenda.

Still looking for WHITE yarrow; all the nurseries here have pink, or yellow....and one online nursery carried white yarrow but were sold out.

Jo

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on May 06 2008 11:47:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  8:47:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hideaway Farmgirl
Still looking for WHITE yarrow; all the nurseries here have pink, or yellow....and one online nursery carried white yarrow but were sold out.

Most Yarrow reverts back to white in its second year after planting, anyway. I had a very dramatic wine red-colored plant one time that did that. My Yarrow bed got plowed under a couple of years ago or I'd offer to send you some plants. You might have good luck asking other Farmgirls to dig up some wild Yarrow (it's white) for you and send it Priority Mail. Where it grows wild, it's prolific. It's also pretty hardy, and I'm sure would stand the couple of days out of the ground, especially if it were packed with something a little damp. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  08:30:20 AM  Show Profile
Now that's something I didn't know about Yarrow, Rosemary! Thanks for the tip. I was trying to be subtle mentioning my search for yarrow in case there was a farmgirl with some to spare, but maybe I will post an outright request!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  3:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
yay herbs! I had already planted basil,rosemary, and chives and bought parsley, thyme, and lavender this morning! I rushed home to finish planting my herbs. We have a fairly big vegetable garden, but I didn't do herbs last year so I am really excited about them this year.

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  09:06:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hideaway Farmgirl

Now that's something I didn't know about Yarrow, Rosemary!

Well, Jo, they're always trying to come up with new things for people to spend money on, so there are all these weird-colored varieties of old standbys at the plant nurseries every year, it seems. Problem is that these hybrids are often developed just to make a quick buck; when they seed themselves, usually don't stay true. But see, that's a good thing! It means Nature wins! That's reassuring. Keep your eyes open on drives into the country. Yarrow sprouts up in fields where you also find Queen Anne's Lace and Cornflower, both of which are usually more noticeable, so slow down when you see them (and activate your Romulan cloaking device)

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." Stephen Colbert
Go to Top of Page

Moonsanity
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Brenda
Michigan
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  09:43:34 AM  Show Profile
Bfriday-- very cool. How are your herbs doing? You should plant nasturtiums in your vegetable garden. They are pretty and a great companion herb.

~Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #207
Journey of Grace and Whimsy
http://grace-whimsy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  09:46:05 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Sounds wonderful. I wish you the very best of luck with everything.
Take care,
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  12:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Jo - did you move? What have you been up to, I miss you girl! I hope to feel good enough to get some seeds started - a little late I know but it has been quite unseasonable here in the Garden state. I can't wait to start my spineless Okra seeds, I love the way Okra looks when it grows, it is such a beautiful plant! I have lots of garden work to be done now all I need to do is feel well enough to do it. Hubby is on vacation as of tomorrow for a week and we are hoping to both get some outside work done.
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  07:25:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy - we have not moved yet - still straddling two houses for another few months. I just couldn't stand not getting the herb garden started at the new house though, and it takes time to get the plants and herbs transferred from here to there. Every time we go I take a few potted up plants with me...

BTW, my Lemon Balm and Sage plants (originals planted many years ago) are huge this year ... I still have lots of Lemon Balm tincture that was made from the Fall 2007 harvest but I will need to harvest all this new growth again before they flower...so off to the store soon to buy more vodka.

Anyone need some Lemon Balm Tincture?

Jo

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Getting my herb garden ready! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page